Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:13:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trojan Wallet stealer be careful  (Read 25826 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 06:20:27 AM

There is a (new?) trojan wallet stealer out in the wild ATM.

Plenty of script kiddies and scammers are going to be trying to get you to download and install it, what's more they'll be putting posts to do so (using lies obviously).

Don't install anything linked to on this forum, unless it's been found by someone with a good reputation to be legit. Assume everything is an attempt to steal your wallet.

You should also encrypt your wallet when not in use.
http://www.freeotfe.org/

Here is a portable apps version http://www.freeotfe.org/downloads/FreeOTFEExplorer_3_51.paf.exe

You have been warned.

Nefario

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:28:30 AM

As a side note - for those of you willing to trust an app, read the source code first. If it's not available, huge warning lights should go off.
DonnyCMU

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:31:23 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 02:33:05 PM by DonnyCMU

Are you talking about the Infostealer.Coinbit?

It has been recognized by Symantec
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/all-your-bitcoins-are-ours

Symantec said the malware will locate wallet.dat then send it back by e-mail or FTP.
dana.powers

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:40:43 AM

Open source GPG encryption tools for Mac OS are available here: http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/

But don't these tools still leave you vulnerable while you're running the bitcoin client (because client requires unencrypted wallet.dat)?
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:41:26 AM

Plenty of script kiddies and scammers are going to be trying to get you to download and install it, what's more they'll be putting posts to do so (using lies obviously).

Don't install anything linked to on this forum, unless it's been found by someone with a good reputation to be legit. Assume everything is an attempt to steal your wallet.

Here is a portable apps version http://www.freeotfe.org/downloads/FreeOTFEExplorer_3_51.paf.exe

You have been warned.

Nefario

How do we know we can trust you?   Grin

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 07:19:40 AM

You have been warned.

Nefario

How do we know we can trust you?   Grin
trust no one

MrAnderson

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:43:18 AM

You have been warned.

Nefario

Windows 7 rejects it because it doesn't have digitally signed drivers, any work around for this?

re: http://www.imgjoe.com/x/capture22323.jpg

>>> 1BcfL1QAZsxtpd92YYsbvDyih45mwA9xSo << Willing to endure the cringe-worthy Australian stereotypes for donations.

I'll wrestle a crocodile, show you my knife, throw shrimp on the BBQ, F**k your wife. Tongue
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:55:40 AM

WTF is FreeOTFE and why would one use it instead of TrueCrypt?

I know this because Tyler knows this.
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 09:26:06 AM

FreeOTFE is an On The Fly Encryption application.

You can use it instead of TC because it doesn't need to be installed, at least the Portable Explorer version doesn't(otherwise it requires admion permissions).

LeFBI

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:36:52 AM

Why is the wallet.dat not encrypted by default anyway?

Asking the average internet user to use TrueCrypt,FreeOTFE,LinuxCoin,Command Line whatever is ihmo far far far to geeky to be widely accepted.
If you want bitcoin to be an easy payment alternative like paypal, then make it more simple&secure. If simply copying the wallet file is enough to rob someone, it's hell insecure. :-/
When you first start the bitcoin client and wallet is created, there is no prompt telling the user that he/she must secure the wallet file, it doesn't even say that it exists or where the wallet file is saved. But these are things you at least have to tell the average non-geek user. When i think of my parents for example...they know how to use google,emails and even managed to sign up at ebay. but they don't give a fuck about Cookies,Scripts,TrueCrypt whatsoever. And that isn't about to change. In the Bitcoin client you could simply implement a start dialog like "Choose wallet" , Click, "Enter Password", click, done. And it would be save from simply copying the wallet file. Of course this wouldn't make it 100% secure, there will always be keyloggers,trojans and such...but it would at least make it a bit harder and not every idiot could simply copy the file and use it. In bitcoin it's all about hashing, encryption, making the network as secure as possible but the wallet is an open door.
doomy

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:44:44 AM

QFE   Grin
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:48:55 AM

Bitcoin developers, please, please, please do create encrypted wallet functionality, so that I can run bitcoin on my malware infested windows computer while enjoying false sense of security.

-
doomy

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:52:42 AM

Best place to place the encrypted file is on Dropbox.  Wink
LeFBI

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:57:34 AM

so that I can run bitcoin on my malware infested windows computer while enjoying false sense of security.
said the linux nerd.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:00:30 AM

You can use it instead of TC because it doesn't need to be installed, at least the Portable Explorer version doesn't(otherwise it requires admion permissions).

Just like TrueCrypt?
flug

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:00:44 AM

Bitcoin developers, please, please, please do create encrypted wallet functionality, so that I can run bitcoin on my malware infested windows computer while enjoying false sense of security.

Are you inferring that the average person's computer will never be safe enough to use the bitcoin client?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:01:34 AM

Are you inferring that the average person's computer will never be safe enough to use the bitcoin client?
It is cheaper to solve the issue at the client level. One single change, every user receives increased security.
flug

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:10:50 AM

It is cheaper to solve the issue at the client level. One single change, every user receives increased security.

Vladimir's inference was that this 'solving' the issue at the client level would be giving a false sense of security, which is the worst of all worlds.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:12:54 AM

You inferred it.

I implied what you said in the post #18.  Cheesy

If your computer is compromised, you are screwed, the moment you enter your password to decrypt the wallet.

Banks get around this (still not completely) with second factor auth and I do not see how bitcoin can do second factor auth without losing decentralisation. (unless Satoshi comes out of the woods with invention of proofofwork/blockhain for second factor auth)

-
LeFBI

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:31:59 AM

If your computer is compromised, you are screwed, the moment you enter your password to decrypt the wallet.
That's always the case >if< your pc is compromised. an encrypted wallet.dat would protect from simply copying the file to usb, if someone has physical access to your pc. also if your pc is compromised doesn't automatically mean it's running a keylogger in the background. every idiot can copy&paste a file but not every idiot knows how to set up keylogger. making the wallet more secure doesn't harm anyone, so why not do it? there will never be 100% security, but it would at least be a bit safer than it is now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: