Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:07:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DASH's future with Lightning implementation ?  (Read 565 times)
nemgun (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 08:50:56 AM

These days i am exploring bitcoin's IRC channel, and i discovered many projects, people, informations, and one of these is the Lightning protocol.
Regarding the advantages offered by DASH, especially the instant send, i wonder if DASH can still be interesting if the implementation is successful.

There is only one aspect who is important here, the TX confirmation speed, or payment processing time.

So considering Bitcoin miner's are asking for more fees to process Transactions, the LN protocol is a nice layer who will speed-up the transactions, DASH have aleready implemented this feature, managed by masternodes, and it is an enormous difference and advantage to DASH compared to Bitcoin's 4 days for confirmation.

Supposing the LN protocol is implemented as a stable release (still in alpha) will DASH be still attractive to users ?
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 12:59:23 PM

These days i am exploring bitcoin's IRC channel, and i discovered many projects, people, informations, and one of these is the Lightning protocol.
Regarding the advantages offered by DASH, especially the instant send, i wonder if DASH can still be interesting if the implementation is successful.

There is only one aspect who is important here, the TX confirmation speed, or payment processing time.

So considering Bitcoin miner's are asking for more fees to process Transactions, the LN protocol is a nice layer who will speed-up the transactions, DASH have aleready implemented this feature, managed by masternodes, and it is an enormous difference and advantage to DASH compared to Bitcoin's 4 days for confirmation.

Supposing the LN protocol is implemented as a stable release (still in alpha) will DASH be still attractive to users ?

There's a huge difference between DASH instant pay and LN.   In the LN, transactions are NOT written to the block chain.  The block chain only serves to hold the "collateral" of the LN nodes.  Bitcoin would be a reserve currency, and the LN nodes would be banks that transact your payment over the network.  LN is a banking layer over bitcoin, that ressembles very, very much, traditional banking, except that they have a smart contract regulation with bitcoin as reserve currency, rather than having a legal regulation. 
What goes on the block chain, are only settlements between banks after they have processed many transactions (like now with real banks).

On the other hand, DASH instant pay is only a confirmation that your transaction is waiting to be put on the block chain.  That's it.

You could do this with bitcoin too, except that with bitcoin, nothing stops a user to send a double spend with higher fee that will be preferred by miners.  With DASH, you trust master nodes that they will not send a second confirmation for the higher-fee double spend.  Probably you can trust master nodes somewhat more than miners in that respect.

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:05:43 AM

Also LN is a not a transaction between any address to any address. And LN requires nodes to be online always thus lite clients must trust some centralized nodes as proxies. There are other issues...

InstantX is a joke. Eventually you will learn that Dash is not technology, it is a marketing snake oil salesman.
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 12:42:15 PM

LN is still in Alpha, maybe the functionalities will change over time, but i know it is not address to address transaction, it is a stream, and a layer on top of bitcoin made to speed-up the process.
My main concert is about the transactions speed, so if bitcoin gets a new layer (like LN) who speeds the transactions (like instant), what would be the effect on other currencies arging to offer a higher transaction speed ?
I suppose that LN won't be adopted by all the users, and for sure, merchants will use it, so exchanges will do it also but still i wonder if it will impact privacy as it is related to streams, it means point to point link, so it may have an impact on privacy. Regarding this information, can darksend still be attractive to privacy aware users ?

Note that i am only comparing transactions operations and functions. It isn't a bitcoin vs dash post.
JosNekoKopa

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:10:43 PM

Everything Dash team did is followed with PR campaign so i we don't need to worry. This will will be perfectly served on time and right place! I'm only Sorry i didn't bought it more when was much cheaper. DASH is like PR machine, and will crush everything on its way!
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 01:23:12 PM

Everything Dash team did is followed with PR campaign so i we don't need to worry. This will will be perfectly served on time and right place! I'm only Sorry i didn't bought it more when was much cheaper. DASH is like PR machine, and will crush everything on its way!

Well, i am also a DASH convicted even if i don't really dig too much into what they offer, how they work etc ... From this side, bitcoin is more attractive, but i suppose they will for sure issue some new features, the problem is that i don't really find much merchants using DASH as a payment method, or online wallets using DASH, they generally offer BTC LTC DOGE, even if doge is kind of dead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: