Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:13:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to transfer from a paper wallet  (Read 5229 times)
Remco19701 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 12:47:20 PM

I am a beginner, so perhaps a silly question.

I have an old  paper wallet with bitcoin address and private key, and of both I have the picture as well as the codes. Now I want to empty the paper wallet and transfer the bitcoins to my digital bitbox (hardware) wallet. I do not know how to make a transfer. When I use google, then many websites refer to the luxembourg blockchain website, but at the blockchain website you have to make a wallet and have to transfer to that wallet(I don't like the online wallets, need to confirm by email and the link of the email to confirm was not working properly in the past several times) .

So, I have a bitcoin address and the private key. Main question is: how to do a transfer and empty the bitcoin address?Huh?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 01:07:36 PM

It depends on what wallet software you are using for your digital bitbox. Most wallet software allow you to sweep or import private keys into your wallet.

Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:08:43 AM

As stated above. You should perform SWEEP or IMPORT operation.

SWEEP is same as regular transaction. It will transfer all BTC to new address (but you have to pay standard tx fee) - despite the fee this is preferred way 
IMPORT free of cost because coins remain in the same address (this address just become part of the wallet and you will be able to use it)

BUT

Note that the IMPORTED KEYS are NOT COVERED by your HW wallet backup (recovery sheet). If you loose the HW wallet you loose BTC (those from iported address).

I strongly recommend to SWEEP (then you can throw away the paper wallet and don't need to care of backup anymore, just backup the new wallet)

Remco19701 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:04:22 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. So I have to find out how to SWEEP (or import). Actually I wasn't intending to keep the address and the key (of the paper wallet) . When I succeed to get the bitcoins (from the paper wallet)  in the addresses that are generated by the digital bitbox I do not need them anymore anyway I guess.
Frosxh

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Tipsters Championship www.DirectBet.eu/Competition

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:46:02 AM

you can try using mycelium to sweep your bitcoins, you will just need to scan the QR code and send your bitcoins to another address that you want. tried it in the past and i recommend using it, very simple to use Smiley

Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 01:56:09 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2017, 02:22:52 AM by Wusolini

you can try using mycelium to sweep your bitcoins, you will just need to scan the QR code and send your bitcoins to another address that you want. tried it in the past and i recommend using it, very simple to use Smiley

This would cost him double fee. One for sweeping, another one for sending to wallet he want.
I think you wanted to say IMPORT ( the paper wallet into mycelium - no fee ) and then send the bitcoins to final destination ( OP HW wallet ).

Frosxh

Merit: 250

Tipsters Championship www.DirectBet.eu/Competition

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 02:59:56 AM

This would cost him double fee. One for sweeping, another one for sending to wallet he want.
I think you wanted to say IMPORT ( the paper wallet into mycelium - no fee ) and then send the bitcoins to final destination ( OP HW wallet ).

not double fee, only single transfer will happen, you will just need to scan the spending QR code from paper wallet to the destination address and pay 1 time miner fee, its a sweep function on mycelium, check it out mate Smiley

Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 03:54:55 AM

not double fee, only single transfer will happen, you will just need to scan the spending QR code from paper wallet to the destination address and pay 1 time miner fee, its a sweep function on mycelium, check it out mate Smiley

I'm aware how sweep function works ... and is NOT FREE.
Following your advice the OP's BTC would end in Mycelium. But he want to transfer them to his HW wallet.  Wink

cagriari

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

Exciting Cryptocurrency of Future!

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 03:21:18 PM

You can try Blockchain.info app in your mobile device. AND if you want to store it in your hardware wallet, just transfer from Blockchain -> Hardware wallet
And just want to know, how old is it? Can you tell me how much BTC was in it after you import it? Thanks Cheesy

Remco19701 (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 04:33:03 AM

Well, I downloaded Electrum and made an Electrum wallet. With the Electrum wallet I could sweep the paper wallet and it worked out well. My paper wallet is now empty and the bitcoins are now safely in my digital bitbox. When you do this for the first time it is a little nerve breaking because you hope these bits and bites don't suddenly dissapear.
Dudeperfect

Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2017, 04:46:10 AM

I would strongly suggest you, go with blockchain.info. Create a new account with them and import the paper wallet with android or iOS app and then send the bitcoins from imported wallet to your hardware wallet. You might have to pay double fees but it would be a secure method to transfer from paper to hardware wallet.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 12:28:00 AM

Import private key from paper wallet to any software wallet or online wallet and then you can send it anywhere Smiley.
Good luck, most simple description.
Ryan Dugan

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2017, 01:13:59 PM

Wouldn't you just scan it with the we software ? Using your phone and the app you using ?
Or just type the private key like the paper above mentioned.

ukbitbrad

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 07:43:47 PM

I cannot find the "Sweep" menu item you refer to, on my new Mycelium wallet for Android. Galaxy Tablet.
Deathgamer

Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 12:29:54 PM

I cannot find the "Sweep" menu item you refer to, on my new Mycelium wallet for Android. Galaxy Tablet.

Here a guide on how to transfer from a paper wallet.First is you need to create a new wallet on blockchain info then log into your blockchain info wallet and go to Import/Export,Use the import private key option or the scan with webcam option to import your paper wallet private key and once you've done the import you must spend the entire balance.
spinach98

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 12:33:58 PM

In order for you to be able to transfer from a paper wallet you need to first create a new wallet on blockchain info then log into your blockchain info wallet and go to Import/Export.you must spend the entire balance when you already use the import private key option or the scan with webcam option to import your paper wallet private key.
mirte86

Activity: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:49:28 PM

There are no silly questions, just asked.. I do it also, but I can recommend you as a beginner that reading is the golden key.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BananaJoe030

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:26:28 PM

Hi, i could use some help. How can i export an StartCoin Paper Wallet?. I am googleing fou hours now:/ Any help appreciated.
JanePorter

Activity: 52
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:16:46 AM

You need to import the private key that is on the paper to a wallet on your computer. Most wallets have a feature to do this. For example, you can import the key into a blockchain.info wallet and then you can send the coins normally.
BananaJoe030

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:33:42 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 06:53:51 PM by BananaJoe030

Oh really?! Thats Awesome news. Thanks for the hint!!!
Maybe you even have some time to provide me some information on how to do this?!
And does the blockchain.info thing even work with STARTCOIN?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: