Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:00:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if I....  (Read 1508 times)
NikolaTesla (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:44:56 PM

So when the price went down to $114 just now I entered a 10 BTC order on Coinbase. Then this dialog box came up:

http://anonmgur.com/up/f040a49de77c59c9d352fa0e3a76250c.jpg

I just let this box sit there for several minutes, all the while the price has climbed back up to $120.

The box is still open in my browser. What happens if click confirm? Will I still get the 10 BTC for $1147?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:45:31 PM

Do it and see...

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:46:20 PM

Do it and see...

Yeah but I don't want to pay $121 or get fewer BTC if it doesn't work...
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:47:41 PM

Doubtful.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
internationalaw

Activity: 78

Community Manager at Letstalkbitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 07:48:25 PM

That's a good question, let us know how it goes.

botlove

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:49:36 PM

it refreshes to match current, so do it fast or don't do it

and yes, if you have a 50btc limit and you're willing to wait 3 days or so, you can time the price with that

I love coinbase.
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:54:43 PM

It still hasn't refreshed...

I'm looking forward to the day when i can just upload $ to coinbase and have them sit there and then buy whenever.
botlove

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:56:29 PM

it took a waiting period, but yeah, i can just click 'buy' when the price is low, and it will debit my bank account after few days.  I get the coins for the price I saw on th escreen at the beginning of the process.  They provide massive stability.  =)
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:56:47 PM

It still hasn't refreshed...

I'm looking forward to the day when i can just upload $ to coinbase and have them sit there and then buy whenever.

Have a look at the postdata in the form in the page source. If there's some enormously long key/hash just being posted as form data, chances are it will use that price.

BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:02:38 PM

Would that make a difference?  As it is, they hook your bank account when you click 'Buy' - although it isn't deducted immediately?

I'd just like to see them have bitcoin at hand.  I've never had any difficulty selling coin - but buying it is completely unreliable.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:06:04 PM

Have a look at the postdata in the form in the page source. If there's some enormously long key/hash just being posted as form data, chances are it will use that price.
So I can just spoof the form and set my own price? I would hope they are more secure than that...
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:06:47 PM

Would that make a difference?  As it is, they hook your bank account when you click 'Buy' - although it isn't deducted immediately?

I'd just like to see them have bitcoin at hand.  I've never had any difficulty selling coin - but buying it is completely unreliable.
Because you have to wait several days before you can sell the coins the current way.
botlove

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:11:37 PM

no you cant spoof it or delay it, that's all server side.   you could maybe fool yourself into thinking you're not going to pay the required amount, but you would...

but if you bought 50 btc at $118 and waited three days, and sold it at $135, yeah, that's a profit.

/EDIT:  Don't do that.  there's no way to know future price
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:17:12 PM

ya guess it does give a lot of stability. my story if anyone cares is that on the way up to 266 i bout at 100, 156, 230, I did not receive the ten coins on each till after the crash by two days. if i would have got them instantly i would have ben able to make money potentaly an all of the above. but since it took a while for them to debit my account and give coins it cost me somthing horrible. but i did get some at 55 and 62 and 68. so thats paying off now. does add stability to the market but just be carfeull and dont go overboard with it.
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:37:15 PM

Meh... I totally would try if I were comfortable with the current price. But I'm not... volume is the lowest it's been all year. I'm not convinced BTC will even be $114 on Thursday.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

My understanding from another thread has been that the rate they show you isn't what you get; you end up getting the coins at the market rate once the money clears. If that's the case, though, they really need to change their page so that it doesn't give people a nonsense exchange rate.
NikolaTesla (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:32:15 PM

My understanding from another thread has been that the rate they show you isn't what you get; you end up getting the coins at the market rate once the money clears.
That's only if they've exceeded their self-imposed site-wide buy limit. Otherwise you get it for current price, you just get it a few days later.
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:07:26 AM

So I can just spoof the form and set my own price? I would hope they are more secure than that...

Try spoofing a PGP message, let me know how that works out for you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: