Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:42:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wishlist for Bitcoin  (Read 1464 times)
BTCLuke (OP)

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:54:22 PM

Let's pretend that you happen to be owed favors by every venture capitalist in Silicon Valley.

You could say to any one of them: "I think X service would do really well." -And they'd pony up any amount to help get it started.

Question: What services and products would you like to see created for Bitcoin?

These could be services and products that you feel are needed to help bitcoin grow and prosper, be they for endusers, merchants, miners, or anyone else that touches bitcoin at all.

I'll start with two ideas:

1. A completely decentralized, peer-to-peer replacement for Mt.Gox. A full exchange with charts and API feeds and the works, but completely unstoppably decentralized so no more DDos attacks and no more FinCen nonsense.

2. A tiny, pocketable, indestructible, cold storage computer. Like a slimmed-down Raspberry Pi that exists only to run the Armory client and could never crash or be smashed. Every hoarder would have one of these in his or her safe, so these could actually be pretty profitable to produce.

Add your ideas to the pile! If this thread gains traction, perhaps the right entrepreneur will see one of these ideas or more and make them happen!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:05:03 PM

1) A service that completely removes barrier to entry.  We need instant CC to BTC and Bank Transfer to BTC functionality.
2) Make it easy to make monthly contributions via payroll deductions like existing 401k's etc.
3) Convince every day retail outlets to accept bitcoins via those little CC terminals at every check stand. (think grocery store/gas station)
4) Bitcoin credit card... would this really be that hard?  Imagine a normal credit card that was backed by your wallet address, sort of like a bitcoin debit.  This would allow you to use Bitcoin for anything you wanted to buy.  The Bitcoin CC could also be used to accept BTC (like a CC refund).
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:11:38 PM

Decentralised and Open Source stock exchange client so that businesses can be invested in and grow with Bitcoin.
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:19:35 PM

Credible deposit insurance for exchanges or any other business that stores BTC.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:43:34 PM

Your #2 already exists:

http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-Google-Player-Allwinner/dp/B008BFXOZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366576877&sr=8-1&keywords=mk+802

You can load an Ubuntu LXDE edition on an SD card, add Armory's dependencies, then Armory, et voila!

You don't even need a keyboard and mouse.  Just load DroidMote Client on your Android phone, and DroidMote Server on the MK 802 - you can control it fine with your phone.  All you need is a TV or a Monitor with HDMI input.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:15:02 PM

* escrowing system, that is more than just a theoretical implementation on top of multisignatures, but an actual service where merchants can interface with. yes, it's centralized, therefore it would be best if it is an extension of an existing credible service, like exchanges.

* a standalone application or a "larger" plugin to bitcoin-qt, that monitors the network in real time, shows many statistics like blockchain.info and displays some graphs.
BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:16:09 PM

4) Bitcoin credit card... would this really be that hard?  Imagine a normal credit card that was backed by your wallet address, sort of like a bitcoin debit.  This would allow you to use Bitcoin for anything you wanted to buy.  The Bitcoin CC could also be used to accept BTC (like a CC refund).
Can't do it. I debunked bitcoin credit cards here already: Kimdotcom wants to start his own bitcoin credit card - Bitcoinfinger

Decentralised and Open Source stock exchange client so that businesses can be invested in and grow with Bitcoin.
Not bad!

This would be a natural fit to combine with my #1 suggestion.

So not only should it replace Mt.Gox, and allow for all cryptocurrencies to be traded too, but to be a Stock market exchange as well... Ambitious, but not impossible.

Your #2 already exists:
NICE!

Someone could definitely make some serious moulah turning these into endproducts to sell directly to bitcoin hoarders. Easy business opportunity right there... I'm tempted to do it myself. Wink

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
mcarturr

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:18:57 PM

yeah mt gox is starting to suck, every week get down
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:23:13 PM

Federated Oracle services (transaction signing API) so bitcoin's scripting capability actually becomes useful.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:05:23 PM

1) A service that completely removes barrier to entry.  We need instant CC to BTC and Bank Transfer to BTC functionality.
solution: localbitcoins.com - needing a CC to BTC is not a solution as using a credit card in itself is a barrier.
2) Make it easy to make monthly contributions via payroll deductions like existing 401k's etc.
solution: when you get paid, go to an ATM cash out X% and find someone on localbitcoins.com
3) Convince every day retail outlets to accept bitcoins via those little CC terminals at every check stand. (think grocery store/gas station)
a valid thing to have on a wish list as the other 2 already have solutions
4) Bitcoin credit card... would this really be that hard?  Imagine a normal credit card that was backed by your wallet address, sort of like a bitcoin debit.  This would allow you to use Bitcoin for anything you wanted to buy.  The Bitcoin CC could also be used to accept BTC (like a CC refund).
solution: many providers already offer bitcoin to debit/virtual visa cards.

i see only 1 thing that needs to be on dhenson's wish list.. more bricks and mortar retailers.. the others already have solutions.

but to add one to his list which others would also like

2. a proper well updated and fully checked and filled business listings page. a one stop shop for all bitcoin businesses

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 10:07:56 PM

Bitcoin Bill Pay!

The last piece of the puzzle to get me off of fiat.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:15:22 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 06:54:46 AM by dhenson

solution: localbitcoins.com - needing a CC to BTC is not a solution as using a credit card in itself is a barrier.
solution: when you get paid, go to an ATM cash out X% and find someone on localbitcoins.com
a valid thing to have on a wish list as the other 2 already have solutions
solution: many providers already offer bitcoin to debit/virtual visa cards.

i see only 1 thing that needs to be on dhenson's wish list.. more bricks and mortar retailers.. the others already have solutions.

but to add one to his list which others would also like

2. a proper well updated and fully checked and filled business listings page. a one stop shop for all bitcoin businesses

1) The closest person listed on localbitcoins.com is 145 miles away (we don't all live in a metropolitan area).  I do feel there is still a significant barrier to entry for new to Bitcoin people.
2) Because of #1, your solution to #2 isn't ideal.  If there was a way to instantly buy with USD @ current MTGOX rates this your solution would work.
4) Could someone point me towards the existing bitcoin to debit/virtual visa cards? I've not seen them.
BTC Books

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:30:23 PM

4) Could someone point me towards the existing bitcoin to debit/virtual visa cards? I've not seen them.

Would Bitcoin -> Exchange -> debit/virtual card do?

I haven't used them yet, so I can't vouch for them, but they sure do look interesting.  The anonymity is attractive, although the limits aren't.

BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:34:03 PM

Bitcoin Bill Pay!
+1

Best of all, this would only need a wallet with a scheduled payments tab in it!

It could even be put in the QT wallet itself... This would be a simple thing to do, really.

I'd recommend that they allow for both reminders and automatic payments, so you'd have the choice of just being reminded to pay on time versus the wallet making the scheduled payment for you.

Good idea Elwar! We need more like this one.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
BTC Books

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:45:49 PM

Your #2 already exists:
NICE!

Someone could definitely make some serious moulah turning these into endproducts to sell directly to bitcoin hoarders. Easy business opportunity right there... I'm tempted to do it myself. Wink

I thought of that - but for something like an off-line wallet anybody who trusts someone else to make it for them is an idiot.  It wouldn't end well.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:54:15 PM

Zero-coin type anonymity. A Bitcoin network that can handle huge transaction volumes (think 1000x more transaction volumes than we do now). We will need a good pruning and many high speed validating nodes.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:57:33 PM

I'll start with two ideas:

1. A completely decentralized, peer-to-peer replacement for Mt.Gox. A full exchange with charts and API feeds and the works, but completely unstoppably decentralized so no more DDos attacks and no more FinCen nonsense.

2. A tiny, pocketable, indestructible, cold storage computer. Like a slimmed-down Raspberry Pi that exists only to run the Armory client and could never crash or be smashed. Every hoarder would have one of these in his or her safe, so these could actually be pretty profitable to produce.

#1 already exists too: www.ripple.com
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:15:50 AM

Bitcoin Bill Pay!
+1

Best of all, this would only need a wallet with a scheduled payments tab in it!

It could even be put in the QT wallet itself... This would be a simple thing to do, really.

I'd recommend that they allow for both reminders and automatic payments, so you'd have the choice of just being reminded to pay on time versus the wallet making the scheduled payment for you.

Good idea Elwar! We need more like this one.

Well, it would have to be a service. By bill pay I mean you put in the recipient, address and account number with the amount in dollars, then you pay the equivalent in bitcoins.

The service would then send out a check the same way you can do bill pay on an online bank account.

Could certainly also set up a wallet client to connect to the service for automated payments.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:33:17 AM

I thought of that - but for something like an off-line wallet anybody who trusts someone else to make it for them is an idiot.  It wouldn't end well.
Point taken... But it's still doable if the the software install package is made & shared on github, making it totally open-source... Then endusers can validate it down to the last byte.

People of instead of making a wishlist, actually get things going on these projects.
My, how assuming of you. What led you to believe that we aren't all working on one or three full-time ideas like these already?

I can't speak for everyone here, but these are just the ideas I've had that I don't have the expertise to work on myself. -Meanwhile I'm already working on the ones that I do.

#1 already exists too: www.ripple.com
Calling ripple decentralized is like calling the Fed decentralized. They are both closed-source and soley-owned!

The church of Ripple has brainwashed you good sir. Seek help before it's too late!

Well, it would have to be a service. By bill pay I mean you put in the recipient, address and account number with the amount in dollars, then you pay the equivalent in bitcoins.
Ah, you mean one that pays out nationalized currencies?

I guess that would be useful for the next couple of years. After that, I'm hoping we have no more use for those relics. Wink

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 02:37:35 AM

Ah, you mean one that pays out nationalized currencies?

I guess that would be useful for the next couple of years. After that, I'm hoping we have no more use for those relics. Wink

Certainly. Like bitspend allows you to buy any product even if it is priced in government currency.

But even a few years down the road people will need to pay things like property taxes and other taxes in government currency. So it would still serve a purpose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: