Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:07:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum receiving fee ??!  (Read 2013 times)
Krafturbsd (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 01:52:24 PM

I use Uphold to purchase my bitcoin and I have friends who use Coinbase to send me bitcoins to my electrum address. What's up with Electrum taking out 20% of my receiving bitcoins?? I just send $100 from Uphold to Electrum to tumble the coins and I only received $78. Whats up with that??
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:03:45 PM

Assuming that you don't know that miners in order to include your transaction in their block they have be paid. So some of your money went as fees to them. But it would be better if you post the transaction id so as to see what happened. The only certain is that electrum does not charge you with fees. It's a completely free desktop wallet.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:04:00 PM

I use Uphold to purchase my bitcoin and I have friends who use Coinbase to send me bitcoins to my electrum address. What's up with Electrum taking out 20% of my receiving bitcoins?? I just send $100 from Uphold to Electrum to tumble the coins and I only received $78. Whats up with that??

Electrum didn't take any of your coins and no wallet (except maybe some crappy online 'wallet') will take any of your coins.  
The amount sent is what you received.  Show us the transaction please and maybe we can help.

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 02:08:11 PM

thanks for the responses. the transaction ID is d64fa5709a30afccd25fa54491a377492101e582a870a29b182ed290e81976dc

At current rate, 3E23nxpfMgSZfmFh2PRxhgYH1RU6WfWazP received ~$97 as an output from this transaction, that's pretty close to the $100 you were expecting, altough i would find it strange that electrum would generate such a receiving address, unless you generated a multisig wallet???
The site you used probably used a different rate (a little bit lower), or they charged a fee, or you bought the BTC when the price was a tad bit higher...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:08:37 PM

Wait, you said you send $100 from Uphold to Electrum then you blame the Electrum wallet because of the fee? You just use your Electrum wallet address to receive so there's a big possibility that Uphold get by those fee by sending and Electrum didn't take those fee but Uphold instead.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:11:27 PM

they sent you 0.07758328 BTC and that is what you received.

LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 02:18:10 PM

First off you are putting coinbase into the equation so that right there is a step in the wrong direction when using a service to rely on to receive your ETH.
Second you are using a third party vendor Uphold which I never hear of for buying your coins.
You think they do this for free at no charge to you?
Please dude! Even exchanges charge their rate to transfer bitcoin to alternate coins then to withdraw from your exchange wallet to an outside ETH address.
If you wanted the least amount taken off of your receiving amount you should of done it with someone on here by just putting it up on the currency exchange thread or something.
thunderbitz2717

Activity: 594
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:25:59 PM

I am also using electrum, but I never encounter experience like yours so far, or it could be you adjust the fee to the maximum that's why its like that. Or you can give the txid here so can give you a hand with your problem.
LuanX3

Activity: 756
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

Generally, this what happened to you. It is not electrum's fault and you have to blame the guy who sent you the bitcoins. He only sent you $78 worth of it. Electrum doesn't take receiving fees, only when sending transactions where you need to pay a fee for the miners to include your transactions to the block.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 02:37:13 PM

Generally, this what happened to you. It is not electrum's fault and you have to blame the guy who sent you the bitcoins. He only sent you $78 worth of it. Electrum doesn't take receiving fees, only when sending transactions where you need to pay a fee for the miners to include your transactions to the block.

Everybody keeps missing this, please read my previous post...
0.07758328 =~ $97 at current preev rate

The OP was promised $100, but a $3 fluctuation can be caused by a different exchange rate, a fee,... What worries me more is the address that received the ~$97 input... It looks like a multisig address, which is pretty difficult for a new member to generate/manage.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 03:31:50 PM

The sender is the one who pays the fee. You never pay a fee to receive a transaction with bitcoin ( unless the fee is deducted by the sender from your transaction ).

If you did indeed receive the funds to a multisig address, hopefully you know that this is not a standard wallet and spending from a multisig wallet is more difficult.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: