Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:48:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I get the destination address of my payment  (Read 407 times)
tessellation (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 05:48:25 AM

I am new to bitcoin. I created a wallet on blockchain.info and have received a few payments.

The problem is that I have no way of telling who sent them.

If I could find the destination wallet address it was sent to, then I could in theory give each person a different address, and when the transaction came in I could figure out who it came from.

The problem with this is that when I click on the information field blockchain provides about the transaction, it gives me a huge list of addresses from that block. How do I know which specific address out of a block is the address that was used to trigger payment to my account? I need a system that I can track by hand, maybe in an Excel file. I am not looking for a programmatical solution, and I can't check every included address to see if it might be one of mine.

Can anyone educate me on how this is supposed to work, and how I can track who is sending what? I've tried using slightly different amounts to represent each person, but due to the variability in the USD/BTC exchange rate that doesn't work so well when 2 people are sending close to the same amount. (Most amounts are under $10, so there isn't much differentiation.) Since most people are sending me money from Coinbase, I tried asking them to fill in the Notes descriptor on that site, until I realized that Coinbase doesn't forward those notes into the transaction.

I ask people to email and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, but even if they do I really have no way of knowing if they are being honest. I apologize if I am just supposed to know how this works, but as I said, I just started and don't know the terminology yet or what I am supposed to ask.

I am not looking for an API. I just want to check manually using online tools.

Thank you for any advice on how to do this.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dawnasor

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

🌟-=BitCAD=-🌟 New_Business_Era

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 05:56:54 AM

You tried the walletexplorer.com ?
That website is have tool that you looking for.
Or just provide your Bitcoin address here.

▄▄▄
                             ▄█████▄
               ▄██         ▄█████████▄
              ██████▄    ███████▀███████
               ▀██████▄███████     ███████
                 ▐██████████         ███████▄
      ▄███▄        ▐██████             ███████▄
     ▐███████         █▀                 ▐██████▄
        ███████▄                           ▐███████
          ███████▄             ▄█▄            ███████
         ▄███████            ▄██████            ▐██████▄
       ▄██████▀            ███████████            ▀██████▄
     ▄██████▀            ██████▀   █████            ▐██████▄
   ███████▀           ▄██████▀       ▐███             ▐███████
 ███████            ▄████████        ▐████               ███████
 █████            ▄██████  ████▄    ▄█████               ███████
 █████          ██████▀      ▀███████████             ▄███████
 █████         ▐█████          ██████▀▀             ▄███████
 █████           ▐████▄        ████               ▄██████▀
 █████             ▐████▄    ▄█████              ▐██████
 █████▄              ▐████████████                ▐███████
 ████████▄              ▀▀█████▀           ▄         ███████
 ███████████▄                            ▄████▄        █████▀
 █████ ▐██████▄                        ▄████████▄        ▀▀
 █████   ▀███████                    █████████████▄
 █████     ▐██████                 ███████   ▐███████
 █████       ▐██████            ▄███████       ▐████
 ████████████████████████████████████▀
 ██████████████████████████████████▀
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 06:01:07 AM

I am new to bitcoin. I created a wallet on blockchain.info and have received a few payments.

The problem is that I have no way of telling who sent them.

If I could find the destination wallet address it was sent to, then I could in theory give each person a different address, and when the transaction came in I could figure out who it came from.

The problem with this is that when I click on the information field blockchain provides about the transaction, it gives me a huge list of addresses from that block. How do I know which specific address out of a block is the address that was used to trigger payment to my account? I need a system that I can track by hand, maybe in an Excel file. I am not looking for a programmatical solution, and I can't check every included address to see if it might be one of mine.

Can anyone educate me on how this is supposed to work, and how I can track who is sending what? I've tried using slightly different amounts to represent each person, but due to the variability in the USD/BTC exchange rate that doesn't work so well when 2 people are sending close to the same amount. (Most amounts are under $10, so there isn't much differentiation.) Since most people are sending me money from Coinbase, I tried asking them to fill in the Notes descriptor on that site, until I realized that Coinbase doesn't forward those notes into the transaction.

I ask people to email and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, but even if they do I really have no way of knowing if they are being honest. I apologize if I am just supposed to know how this works, but as I said, I just started and don't know the terminology yet or what I am supposed to ask.

I am not looking for an API. I just want to check manually using online tools.

Thank you for any advice on how to do this.

I don't really understand what is actually going on here, maybe send a few screenshots to show what you mean by the part I have highlighted?

For me, if you just go log into your blockchain.info account, and then you go to transactions, you are able to see the address that is received with and address that sent the transaction. That should be enough since blockchain.info generates a new receiving address every time you receive(I think).

If you can't see the receiving address, then you can click on the transaction, click on the button next to transaction confirmed, and then it'll redirect to the blockchain.info transaction page.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.
tessellation (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 07:54:57 AM

I don't really understand what is actually going on here, maybe send a few screenshots to show what you mean by the part I have highlighted?

For me, if you just go log into your blockchain.info account, and then you go to transactions, you are able to see the address that is received with and address that sent the transaction. That should be enough since blockchain.info generates a new receiving address every time you receive(I think).

If you can't see the receiving address, then you can click on the transaction, click on the button next to transaction confirmed, and then it'll redirect to the blockchain.info transaction page.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Unfortunately, blockchain does not show the received account. They simply show "To: My Bitcoin Wallet" which is completely useless.

https://ibin.co/3FjlEmM5vYSc.png

I can get to the transaction page, but all it shows me is this:

https://ibin.co/3FjmMP59KSDQ.png

Which one of those 18 addresses is mine? I don't remember, and I can't realistically check all of them. If Blockchain would tell me "this is the destination address it was sent to" then presumably I could use something like the last 4 digits as a key to figure out who sent it.

But where is my transaction in this block? I don't know by looking at it, and I can't check everyone of these manually....

Does that make any more sense?
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 12:01:52 PM

That means the sender use an exchanges to send the BTC to your wallet address that's why that transaction ID has too many address, because mostly exchanges send simultaneously on different address from its different user. But you can see your wallet address out of that 18 address on that transaction. Thats what I understand from the OP.
neochiny

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

Crypto.games

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2017, 01:58:53 AM

Hmm.

You could go to settings-->addresses and click the +Add button. You'd then have another account in addition to your (default)My Bitcoin Wallet.

You can label those accounts according to what/which it's going to be used for.
http://imgur.com/a/k7m3U
Thing is, when you have to use those funds, you'd probably have to pay a higher tx fee since the funds would come from many inputs.
I don't think blockchain.info allows you to send from a specific address.

Or you could simply ask whoever's paying you to properly label their payments.

████  ███████  ███
██████████
███      ███████
███      ███████████
██████████████████
████████
███   ████  ███████████
███ ███████████████
█████████
█████████████████
███  ███████
██████████████