Bitcoin Forum
December 15, 2017, 10:21:33 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenebrix  (Read 2824 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2002

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 05:32:59 AM

Oh well, once Litecoin updates to latest bitcoin code Tenebrix can use that to jump right to latest code.

-MarkM-

Litecoin IS updated to the latest Bitcoin code.

Oh cool, i didn't know they had finished that.

Great then, any clonecoin hack can easily update Tenebrix and Fairbrix too any time they want, I wonder how many they have racked up so far using a spare CPU core or few the last few months or years?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wolf0
Legendary

Activity: 1764

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:48:34 AM

Oh yeah that happened with DeVCoin too though we thought it was to do with the curl stuff DeVCoin used to go out and get its lists of who to give coins to. Dunno what Tenebrix would have needed that would not be thread-safe and that other coins don't use though.

For DeVCoin we just use the daemon for mining, people who need GUIs probably aren't the geeky techie types likely to get into setting up p2pool to merged mine for them or stuff like that so for DeVCoin the GUI not being able to mine isn't much (if any) of an issue.

-MarkM-

I get 500 Internal Server Error from minerd when trying to mine...

Mark, any help?

Code:
Donations: BTC: 1WoLFdwcfNEg64fTYsX1P25KUzzSjtEZC -- XMR: 45SLUTzk7UXYHmzJ7bFN6FPfzTusdUVAZjPRgmEDw7G3SeimWM2kCdnDQXwDBYGUWaBtZNgjYtEYA22aMQT4t8KfU3vHLHG
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:56:29 AM

good old tenebrix.  i like it because it doesn't have "coin" in its name.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 06:58:33 AM

Yeah, use the daemon.

As I said this happened with DeVCoin too, we just disabled the gen=1 commands so people cannot turn on mining in the devcoin-qt since we (Unthinkingbit and I) didn't manage to track down what exactly it was that was doing it, other than it looked like some things we needed for doing what devcoin needs to do were not thread-safe, at least, it seems, not in the GUI.

We needed to use curl, or something anyway that would go out and get our lists of recipients for minted coins, so if not being able to mine with the -qt client was fallout from that too bad, its more important to do that key function of devcoin and anyone who does want to mine can use the daemon, which in any case probably uses less resources on the server and allows the server to be headless so for miners it is in any case generally better / more-appropriate anyway.

Since i do not know what you hacked, nor even whether what you have now works fine in Linux, and I do not do windows, I'd just go with "you have to use the daemon to mine" or "install linux in a virtual machine"...

Not very helpful but first thing I do when i buy a box with windows on it is defenestrate it (throw out windows) and that has over the decades proven to be a massive massive massive reducter of stress over long term and short term.

Still, even if it breaks on Linux too, I'd wonder whether whatever it is that needs to use things that are not thread-safe is an importan enough feature of your design that it is worth throwing out GUI-mining to include it, or maybe if GUI-mining is so important to you you could reconsider whether whatever feature you are adding is worth the time it might take to track down some thread problem that only occurs in the GUI not in the actual daemon.

-MarkM-

EDIT: I maybe getting confused though, I just realised this thread is about Tenebrix, yet earlier discussion about hacking a coin resulting in mining crashing in the GUI had been about creating some new coin. Maybe there are two threads currently about this same problem, maybe someone ran into it making a GUI for Tenebrix in addition to someone also recently running into it trying to make some unspecified new coin by hacking some other coin...

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:47:29 AM

Yeah, use the daemon.

As I said this happened with DeVCoin too, we just disabled the gen=1 commands so people cannot turn on mining in the devcoin-qt since we (Unthinkingbit and I) didn't manage to track down what exactly it was that was doing it, other than it looked like some things we needed for doing what devcoin needs to do were not thread-safe, at least, it seems, not in the GUI.

We needed to use curl, or something anyway that would go out and get our lists of recipients for minted coins, so if not being able to mine with the -qt client was fallout from that too bad, its more important to do that key function of devcoin and anyone who does want to mine can use the daemon, which in any case probably uses less resources on the server and allows the server to be headless so for miners it is in any case generally better / more-appropriate anyway.

Since i do not know what you hacked, nor even whether what you have now works fine in Linux, and I do not do windows, I'd just go with "you have to use the daemon to mine" or "install linux in a virtual machine"...

Not very helpful but first thing I do when i buy a box with windows on it is defenestrate it (throw out windows) and that has over the decades proven to be a massive massive massive reducter of stress over long term and short term.

Still, even if it breaks on Linux too, I'd wonder whether whatever it is that needs to use things that are not thread-safe is an importan enough feature of your design that it is worth throwing out GUI-mining to include it, or maybe if GUI-mining is so important to you you could reconsider whether whatever feature you are adding is worth the time it might take to track down some thread problem that only occurs in the GUI not in the actual daemon.

-MarkM-

EDIT: I maybe getting confused though, I just realised this thread is about Tenebrix, yet earlier discussion about hacking a coin resulting in mining crashing in the GUI had been about creating some new coin. Maybe there are two threads currently about this same problem, maybe someone ran into it making a GUI for Tenebrix in addition to someone also recently running into it trying to make some unspecified new coin by hacking some other coin...

I am using the daemon, getting 500s.

EDIT: Using Arch Linux.

EDIT2: Are you getting connections? I've got 0 connections and 0 blocks.

Code:
Donations: BTC: 1WoLFdwcfNEg64fTYsX1P25KUzzSjtEZC -- XMR: 45SLUTzk7UXYHmzJ7bFN6FPfzTusdUVAZjPRgmEDw7G3SeimWM2kCdnDQXwDBYGUWaBtZNgjYtEYA22aMQT4t8KfU3vHLHG
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:51:27 AM

Where is the mining program running? Is it connecting to 127.0.0.0 aka localhost? If not maybe firewall isn't letting it connect, or its IP address is not on the rcpallowip list, yet for some reason its claiming internal sever error (500) instead of unable to connect?

Or does 500 mean it must have connected and the RPC server itself is telling it that it got an internal server error (500) ?

What error does it give when username or password for RPC is incorrect?

-MarkM-

twobits

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:53:25 AM

Yeah, use the daemon.

Curl is threadsafe,  qt at least as it used to be built on windows was not.  

http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2012/03/full-disclosure-bitcoin-qt-on-windows.html

So good chance these older forks still have that issue.

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  Twitter
▀  Telegram
▀  Facebook
▀  ANN Thread
▀  Whitepaper
▀  Website
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:58:44 AM

http://gavintech.blogspot.com/2012/03/full-disclosure-bitcoin-qt-on-windows.html

Yeah now you mention it, maybe we used something other than curl first, that was not thread-safe, then noticed curl was listed as thread-safe so switched to curl despite that adding a new dependency, then still found the damn thing wouldn't mine. Smiley

Thanks for the link I will go look at that maybe we can get mining working. though if they fixed it then once the "mergecoin" repo (bitcoin with ONLY merged mining as secondary chain added) is ready all the merged coins can inherit the fix along with gosh knows how many other fixes the bitcoin devs have been doing while all the kiddies squabbled in the altcoin playpen all this time...

-MarkM-

Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:58:52 AM

Where is the mining program running? Is it connecting to 127.0.0.0 aka localhost? If not maybe firewall isn't letting it connect, or its IP address is not on the rcpallowip list, yet for some reason its claiming internal sever error (500) instead of unable to connect?

Or does 500 mean it must have connected and the RPC server itself is telling it that it got an internal server error (500) ?

-MarkM-

It's connecting, because I have no firewall inside the network. 401 if the password is incorrect, 500 if they're correct.

EDIT: By the way, are you getting connections, Mark?

Code:
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 08:01:53 AM

Oh the -mt we add to boost libs in some distros of linux might stand for multithreaded.

I think our mining in devcoin-qt crashed on linux too though not just on windows. Unless maybe unthinkingbit uses Windows I'm not sure we would even have noticed if it didn't work on windows until someone built a Windows binary, whereupon we'd likely have been like well you do windows, you figure it out. Smiley

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 08:07:36 AM

-MarkM-

It's connecting, because I have no firewall inside the network. 401 if the password is incorrect, 500 if they're correct.

Yeah i don't have eight connections though, only seeing 7 right now, and that is from a machine that has incoming port open.

Maybe who-ever is blasting it with hashing, likely from one or more GPUs, will get enough coins to fell like investing in a stable node that people can put in -addnode or even that can be coded into the DNSseed and fallback IPs.

Maybe they are just trying to drive difficulty way high and abandon it though due to being against the idea of having some coins that are nice havens for CPU miners or something though.

-MarkM-

Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:15:44 AM

-MarkM-

Yeah i don't have eight connections though, only seeing 7 right now, and that is from a machine that has incoming port open.

Maybe who-ever is blasting it with hashing, likely from one or more GPUs, will get enough coins to fell like investing in a stable node that people can put in -addnode or even that can be coded into the DNSseed and fallback IPs.

Maybe they are just trying to drive difficulty way high and abandon it though due to being against the idea of having some coins that are nice havens for CPU miners or something though.

-MarkM-

Would you post your tenebrix.conf?

Code:
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 08:21:35 AM

I don't use config files. I had to have one of course for the old multicoin-based version, and thus had to until today for Fairbrix, but Tenebrix is just like normal bitcoin or litecoin based coins, no need for any config file at all.

tenebrixstart.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

TENEBRIXD=/usr/local/bin/tenebrixd
DATADIR=$HOME/.tenebrix

$TENEBRIXD -datadir=$DATADIR -rescan \
        -rpcuser=whoever -rpcpassword=therpcpassword \
        -gen=0 -daemon -rpcport=8697

(Addnodes of course one would also add if one happens to have any.)

tenebrixd.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
  echo "Syntax: tenebrixd.sh COMMAND"
  exit
fi

$TENEBRIXD -rpcuser=whoever -rpcpassword=therpcpassword \
        -rpcport=8697 "$@"

-MarkM-

Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:53:29 AM

I don't use config files. I had to have one of course for the old multicoin-based version, and thus had to until today for Fairbrix, but Tenebrix is just like normal bitcoin or litecoin based coins, no need for any config file at all.

tenebrixstart.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

DATADIR=$HOME/.tenebrix

$TENEBRIXD -datadir=$DATADIR -rescan \
        -rpcuser=whoever -rpcpassword=therpcpassword \
        -gen=0 -daemon -rpcport=8697

(Addnodes of course one would also add if one happens to have any.)

tenebrixd.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
  echo "Syntax: tenebrixd.sh COMMAND"
  exit
fi

$TENEBRIXD -rpcuser=whoever -rpcpassword=therpcpassword \
        -rpcport=8697 "$@"

-MarkM-

Thanks, I'm getting connections now.

Code:
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:27:08 AM

Just wondering, is Lolcust even still around?

Code:
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 09:27:43 AM

Just wondering, is Lolcust even still around?

#Tenebrix on Freenode IRC.

-MarkM-

jeannie

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:19:59 AM

Is there any windows client for tenebrix now?

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 07:30:00 AM

I don't know. Even if some folk did compile it for Windows maybe they haven'y made the binary available anywhere. Maybe no one has compiled for Windows at all, or compiled only the daemon. or maybe no Windows peoople are mining it at all.

-MarkM-

nabworth

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:38:00 PM

any idea what an average block rate might be for a dual core i7-2640M 2.8GHz ?

btc   : 15BiqAD34pbDu6hpZyEqdddgttK96rpHh7
xpm : APPree11U9vHjf9sapU58VvaVfyT6E6rr5
noble: 9p9Rah24E21139b25XtqTBCr7Y3F8gphQH
ig0tik3d
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:45:24 PM

Is there any windows client for tenebrix now?
https://github.com/Lolcust/Tenebrix/downloads
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.