Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:25:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to turn off “change” address in bitcoind?  (Read 731 times)
Abrosim Adderiy (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:42:51 AM

I would like to keep backup of my wallet on paper, but that's impossible or at least impractical when the bitcoind keeps creating new addresses for "change". I know it is possible in theory to do it by sending the change back to the sending address. And I know there are privacy implications when doing this. But I care more about security than anonymity in my case.

Is there an option to turn off "change" addresses in bitcoind (the original Satoshi client)?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Avgustin Aldridge

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:06:25 AM

I would like to keep backup of my wallet on paper, but that's impossible or at least impractical when the bitcoind keeps creating new addresses for "change". I know it is possible in theory to do it by sending the change back to the sending address. And I know there are privacy implications when doing this. But I care more about security than anonymity in my case.

Is there an option to turn off "change" addresses in bitcoind (the original Satoshi client)?

I don't know about Satoshi Client, but Electrum has such ability
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:10:06 AM

Well you can't turn off change exactly but you can use use the "sendmany" option in bitcoind to send the change to any address you choose.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:00:16 PM

If you are using bitcoind and creating your own user interface, then you can create raw transactions and sent the change wherever you like.

If you are using the Bitcoin-Qt interface, then as far as I know there is no way to control where the change goes.  You should look into some other wallet for that purpose.

If you care most about security, you'll want to be aware that with brand new, never before used, addresses the private key is protected from the Bitcoin Address by 3 cryptographic algorithms (ECDSA, SHA-256, and RIPEMD-160).  Once a transaction is sent using value that was previously received at an address, the private key is only protected from the address by ECDSA.

At the moment this is plenty of protection.  There is currently no known feasible way to reverse ECDSA and figure out the private key from the public key.  However, with a previously unused address a flaw would have to be discovered in all three algorithms nearly simultaneously, which is extremely unlikely and would allow time for bitcoin to implement a replacement function and time for you to move your coins to the new functionality.  If you re-use addresses, then a flaw would only have to be discovered in the future in ECDSA for someone to potentially be able to access your bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: