Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:49:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Scammer] Woodstock  (Read 1174 times)
jingos (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:44:38 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 11:34:39 AM by jingos

Stolen bitcoin:

Code:
jingos  - 1.25 BTC - Sent to 1NYtBB9dGFKGDcPi2KAUpX6WWHAZobmsM  - Transaction ID: 26a09b5c1d84ca7461d9fbc543d8daef407e823b3dd9c2f77a288af135c53924
Tirapon - 1.25 BTC - Sent to 13ubKX3YLmZ543PwAqxoemMsn5mUknrBnD - Transaction ID: b53dc6664ba7c817fcab7fdcf0259be3bc4128c16f59d76fb02e3834e5ae8a47
Dougie  - 2.25 BTC - Sent to 1RiWexjysDm6JkyteWoErZTSqF6Yjutmq  - Transaction ID: 19f41e6f45a87943045fe220040e26df4a2c04f0fba054d8b6046bda910e8366

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178829

Woodstock (April 17, 2013, 10:55:35 PM)
Looking to sell my real coins - have 20x 5 BTC coins @ 5.25 ea including shipping and 5 1 BTC coins @ 1.25 each including worldwide shipping.
I also have 10 1oz silver eagles and 10 1oz stagecoach silver bars which I am willing to sell for 0.5 each including shipping - again negociable on multiple orders.
Will post pictures later when I am home
If you have any interest please pm me - will combine shipping on multiple orders so price is negociable

https://i.imgur.com/0nsM0AG.jpg

Me (April 19, 2013, 03:34:56 PM)
What year are the 1 BTC coins? Do they have the hologram on the back? What country are you sending from?
Reply with an address incase I do want to buy.

Woodstock (April 19, 2013, 07:56:21 PM)
They are 2012s and shipping from USA.
If you wish to purchase 1.25 for 1 or 2.4 for 2.
If you want any 5 BTC ones I will do those at 5.05 each since I am shipping anyway.
If you wish to buy please send the BTC to 1NYtBB9dGFKGDcPi2KAUpX6WWHAZobmsM
and give me your address thanks

Me (April 19, 2013, 09:05:13 PM)
Bitcoin sent. Could you PM me the public address of the coin? My address:
XXXXX
And could you also PM the receipt number of the package once it's sent?

[Tx: 26a09b5c1d84ca7461d9fbc543d8daef407e823b3dd9c2f77a288af135c53924]

Woodstock (April 19, 2013, 09:19:08 PM)
I am not home at the moment but I will when I am back I can confirm receipt of the BTC and I will give you the tracking number also when I send them later on today

Me (April 19, 2013, 09:27:54 PM)
No worries. I will post in the thread when I am out of the newbie jail. I will also post feedback in the thread when I receive the coin to try and generate more interest in the 5 BTC coins if you want to hold off cracking them open.

Woodstock (April 19, 2013, 09:41:56 PM)
It will be a shame to open them since they are nice coins but the reason for me selling is I am trying to raise money to purchase something this weekend so I think I will probably end up opening at least some of the coins.
Will let you know when I am back the details you need

Me (April 20, 2013, 11:18:31 AM)
Could I get the tracking/receipt number on my package? Also did you note down the public key of my coin?
Sorry to pester.

Me (April 20, 2013, 09:08:12 PM)
Hi, can you please respond

Woodstock (April 20, 2013, 11:13:15 PM)
Hello sorry I read your message earlier but did not have time to respond was travelling.
I have taken photos for you and have the information (the public address and the tracking number) but it is at home and I will not be home until late Sunday, I will give you that information tomorrow, I have posted the package though, was in a hurry yesterday.

Me (April 20, 2013, 11:27:05 PM)
OK I'll wait until tomorrow for the tracking number and public address. Sorry to annoy you but I think you understand

Woodstock (April 20, 2013, 11:29:40 PM)
Yes - I absolutely understand and appreciate the trust you have already placed in me.
I will contact you as soon as I can with the info but rest assured it has been posted already.

[Thread locked and image deleted]

Me (April 21, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Well late Sunday has been and gone and I still haven't been updated with tracking information or public key. What's going on?

Well I'm an idiot...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:20:04 PM

Here's the messages that I exchanged with the seller:

Me:
Hi
I might be interested in buying one or two Casascius coins that you are selling. Do you still have any of the 5 BTC rounds? Also, would you consider using escrow for the purchase.
Thanks.

Woodstock:
Hey,
Yes I have some 5 BTC coins left, sorry I cannot use Escrow not because I do not want to use it b ut the reason I am selling the coins is because I need them for a purchase I need to make on Sunday if I cannot raise the BTC I will just open the coins.
If you do not wish to do the transaction without Escrow I understand, if you do feel comfortable let me know and we can come to an arrangement before I open the coins.

Me:
Hmm, sorry but I don't think I can risk it without escrow. Its a shame, even though most people here are trustworthy there are a few who ruin it for everyone else. The only way to stay safe is to adopt a policy of never trusting anyone. Hope you are able to sell some of them, it seems a shame for them to be opened... If you have any remaining afterwards which you still want to sell, I'd still be interested.
Cheers

Woodstock:
I understand, I will not be selling any then because what I do not sell I will open.
It is a shame but since they have 5 BTC inside it is not worth the hassle of Escrow and time is more important to me than waiting for an extra .1 BTC.
If you change your mind let me know otherwise I will be opening them in about 18 hours.
I do understand your reasoning behind Escrow - if it were something else and I did not need the coins so quick I would use it.

Me:
Where are you shipping from, I forgot to ask?

Woodstock
USA - should only take a few days if you are also from USA/Canada or worldwide about a week or two. Depending on the amount I could use express but again I understand if you do not wish to risk it without Escrow - I am the same and probably would want to use Escrow as well it is just the circumstances and the fact I need the coins today and cannot wait on Escrow releasing

Me:
I'm glad you can appreciate where I'm coming from, its not that I'm accusing you of anything. Unfortunately I just can't afford to lose 5 BTC at the moment. I will, however, buy one of the single bitcoins if you have any left?

Woodstock:
I can sell you one yes someone who said they wanted one still has not paid and I need the coins by today so please send 1.25 BTC to 13ubKX3YLmZ543PwAqxoemMsn5mUknrBnD
and your address and I will post it tomorrow.

So I took a punt, although quite honestly I knew it was a bad idea. I hope this highlights the importance of always using escrow for a trade like this.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:51:56 PM

FFS ignoring or refusing escrow is a nearly always reliable indicator of a scam.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:55:17 PM

FFS ignoring or refusing escrow is a nearly always reliable indicator of a scam.

This is common knowledge, what is wrong with people?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:06:10 PM

you are the last person who should be lecturing people about scamming.

I'm actually pretty popular around here as the guy who "threw his reputation away to prove why escrow is important". Wouldn't that make me the absolute poster child for escrow? Also, you seem mad. Are you alright?

Tirapon

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:25:42 PM

I agree, the scam was pretty obvious. I actually think it was worth the cost just for the sake of this thread, if it prevents the same thing happening to any other newbies.

-Be vigilant

-Don't get complacent

-Always use escrow
Tirapon

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:33:34 PM

What I can't get my head around is why these people even bother? This person registered in February, made the 5 posts required to get out of newbie section and then proceeded with his 'cunning plan'. Assuming that only two of us were stupid enough to send him any money he will have made what, a few hundred dollars? For less effort he could make twice that in a week conducting legitimate business...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:41:49 PM

In this post you explained that you are satisfied with simply taking one for the team so that others can benefit from the mistake (something I truly believed when I first came here too):

I agree, the scam was pretty obvious. I actually think it was worth the cost just for the sake of this thread, if it prevents the same thing happening to any other newbies.

-Be vigilant

-Don't get complacent

-Always use escrow

In this post, you give the perfect reasoning behind others not learning from your lesson at all (e.g. they all think the same thing at first).

What I can't get my head around is why these people even bother? This person registered in February, made the 5 posts required to get out of newbie section and then proceeded with his 'cunning plan'. Assuming that only two of us were stupid enough to send him any money he will have made what, a few hundred dollars? For less effort he could make twice that in a week conducting legitimate business...

I agree with your statement and feel the same, but most of these scammers cannot for whatever reason (age, legal status, criminal background, deformities) get a job or have an original thought.

So long as there are people willing to ignore common sense and "take one for the team", there will be scammers coming here looking for suckers.

TCollar

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:49:59 PM

Seems logical but you have to remember in some places of the world "a few hundred dollars" will last for quite a long time.  Even in more familiar areas of the world (like where I post from in the USA) there are people who simply have lots of pots on the scam stove.  So a person might be a MLM, Post ads on Craigslist to try to steal Ebay accounts, take surveys online, or whatever.  Plus a lot of scammers are easy to scam themselves, all you have to do is offer to sell them the means to perform a scam (like scammers in India getting scammed by being sold "Legitimate IDs" to take surveys online as a non-Indian) so they might be trying to recoup losses as well.

Most scammers are piss-poor since only a few get a big payout and the rest are just foolish people with no long term planning ability.

Tirapon

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:29:43 PM

In this post you explained that you are satisfied with simply taking one for the team so that others can benefit from the mistake (something I truly believed when I first came here too):

-Be vigilant

-Don't get complacent

-Always use escrow

In this post, you give the perfect reasoning behind others not learning from your lesson at all (e.g. they all think the same thing at first).

I agree with your statement and feel the same, but most of these scammers cannot for whatever reason (age, legal status, criminal background, deformities) get a job or have an original thought.

So long as there are people willing to ignore common sense and "take one for the team", there will be scammers coming here looking for suckers.

Yeah, true. Well, lesson learnt. At least it wasn't too expensive...
jingos (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:52:19 AM

Here is a message for Woodstock:

You may have been given the impression from Tirapon that 1.25 BTC is a trivial amount and that it "was worth the cost just for the sake of this thread". I do not hold the same opinion. I have just got into bitcoin which means I did not get into this cheaply. You took over half of my coins. Login and check your messages and you'll find an address to return my coins.

I'd appreciate it if you did return them.
Tirapon

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:13:52 AM

I sent the payment to this address: 13ubKX3YLmZ543PwAqxoemMsn5mUknrBnD

I don't expect this to help much, just thought it would be worth making it public.
Dougie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

You are not special.

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:10:19 AM

I sent him BTC2.2.  This is quite a bit setback for me. Running very close to the breadline here and was hoping to resell the coins to make some fiat back.

I assume no one has received anything yet?

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
jingos (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:22:44 AM

Ahhh crap! Another Angry

Please post the transaction id and address you sent the coins to in the VERY slight chance that someone may track the coins down. Consider the coins gone though.
Dougie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

You are not special.

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:29:49 AM

BTC2.25 sorry.

TX:ID 19f41e6f45a87943045fe220040e26df4a2c04f0fba054d8b6046bda910e8366

Address: 1RiWexjysDm6JkyteWoErZTSqF6Yjutmq

He sent me this photo: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/coinsj.jpg/

I hope he needs them more than I do... I doubt that right now though.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:50:10 AM

you are the last person who should be lecturing people about scamming.

I'm actually pretty popular around here as the guy who "threw his reputation away to prove why escrow is important". Wouldn't that make me the absolute poster child for escrow? Also, you seem mad. Are you alright?

It didn't make you popular -- it made you infamous. You know, like Charles Mason, Paul Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam, etc.

OT. Sorry.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
GIANNAT
Legendary

Activity: 1038

Bitcoin entrepreneur and Pro Trader

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:16:55 AM

Yep, it was very sketchy. No escrow no party

Normally I would have no issue with Escrow but the purchase I need to make is on Sunday so I need the BTC by then; which is why if they do not sell I will just open them. Which is a shame but I cannot Escrow since you will not receive before Sunday. I understand the trust issues and understand if you do not wish to go ahead without Escrow if I did not need the coins in such a hurry I would use Escrow  for definate.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: