Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:25:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How interested are you in a Bitcoin Island Community?
I have 300 BTC to purchase a spot to live in a Bitcoin community
I have 300 BTC but would like to invest only / rent to others
I don't have 300 BTC but would consider renting from others
I'm just passing through or would like to contribute in other ways
Freedom scares me... I just want to use Bitcoin as a regulated, slightly cheaper Paypal alternative

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Island/City and More  (Read 26372 times)
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:07:59 PM

I wonder if the OP has heard of the Commonwealth of Belle Isle?

http://www.commonwealthofbelleisle.com

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:16:41 PM

Umm... How about Bitcoin Planet?

benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:27:32 PM

Umm... How about Bitcoin Planet?

Eventually Smiley

I wonder if the OP has heard of the Commonwealth of Belle Isle?

I have.  But my opinion is that being closely tied to one of the most failed areas of the US makes it a place where I would not want to live, and nearly impossible to attract non-Americans.

Why buy an island when you can build one? Hire the folks that made this and make a huge island in the form of bitcoin's B.

That is an interesting idea.  I have been there, and worked with someone who has actually built custom islands there before.  But I'm not sure it would be as economical as what I have in mind.

You should look into starting a Charter City in Honduras.

The last I heard, the Honduran Supreme Court blocked this project.

Bitcoin island, hm... Isn't it what's Australia for? I mean, up until recently, anyway...

I am surprised at the amount of hostility towards Bitcoin coming from the Australian authorities lately.

One such reddit group with this idea in mind can be found over at: http://www.reddit.com/r/xnation

I am glad you mentioned this.  I made a post there as well.

If you can afford to buy an island.. getting the girls will not be a problem...   

Bingo.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:12:14 AM

Does this venture, by any chance, require the transfer of funds to a trusted party?

It requires transferring Bitcoins in order to purchase a lot.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:29:16 AM

the bitcoin users are the island

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:10:08 PM

As long as you build this city... on rock and roll

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:52:03 PM

So, why does it still have to be a secret at this point? Just write your plan/idea.

It will remain secret until there is an absolute certainty of it coming into fruition without being co-opted by the cheerleaders of big government, or some hedge fund aiming to sell Bitcoin out prematurely, like half of Bitcoin projects seem to have already been.

When I made the original Bitcoin Island proposal, within a month a CIA agent had setup a similar project and was bandying about claims that theirs was the "real Bitcoin Island".

Not one day after posting this proposal to stabilize Bitcoin, a certain prominent programmer with well-known ties to hackers and shady VCs has re-appeared in the Bitcoin community and is looking for new projects.

Like I've said since the day I joined this forum, I don't know whether some of you are just oblivious to how things work in the real world, or trolls and sock puppets.  But just "writing my plan" would have no benefit to Bitcoin whatsoever.

I'm not here to give away business plans.  I'm here to turn them into reality.  That's why it has to remain secret.

Pangia

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:03:08 PM

Does this venture, by any chance, require the transfer of funds to a trusted party?
+1

I can't believe how many scammers show up in this forum.  

I was waiting to read the part of how the OP is a Nigerian Prince and had a billion dollars he needed to get out of his country and only YOU could help him get it out and would be the recipient of half of it, BUT first you had to send him some "good faith money". 

What's even more interesting is the fact that people are actually entertaining this poster.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

I can imagine a ton of Somalian pirates heading for Bitcoin Island, and Taxmen lol.

Let's centralize Bitcoin... decentralizing it was a mistake.
dmartig

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:38:42 PM

as soon as satoshi signs on count me in
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:05:02 PM

as soon as satoshi signs on count me in

I hope he does, though I'm not sure I would know it.

Think about it this way.  If Satoshi were really just a rogue hacker (or three), with the best of intentions, who created Bitcoin for it to become a true, freely-traded currency, would he really want to retire in a country whose currency he helped to destroy?

This argument can be extended to every one of the Bitcoin developers and early adopters.  They aren't really anonymous.  Why wouldn't they sign on, or at least attempt something similar?

benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:31:46 AM

Bump for anyone else?

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:41:28 AM

hey i independantly posted my own thread with some overlap https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189295.0

i really think there is a lot to the idea of crowed funding the creation of a sovereign territory for libertarians. All we need is to get 1 big name behind it (like doug casey or stefan moleneaux) and who knows how much finding we could raise. With out the one big name though we have nothing so that's step one, get someone more influential than either one of us behind it.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
hiltonizer

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:10:51 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2013, 05:42:13 AM by hiltonizer

Isn't Galt's Gulch a work an active-work-in-progress?

The sea-stead concept around a bunch of these things is interesting... I think all this time and effort going into looking at land to acquire and separate from a country is a bit silly... it'd be best to spend a fraction of those funds to have engineers design open source plans for building your own island, that you boat out to join a larger island that is more like an association than a government.

Imagine the redneck yacht club on the middle of a lake in the summer... boats hitched together... people sharing resources... having one giant party the game wardens dare not break up.

Now imagine thousands of libertarian/anarchists, building "floats" of their own with open source design (or.. wait for it... BUY A PRE-BUILT FLOAT)... and hitching to others who have done the same. That'd be my vision... Belle Isle and stuff... lots of government speak there. By my quick estimation, you could build a 1 acre float with a 3 bedroom house for the same as you could buy a 1 acre lot with a 3 bedroom house within 30 minutes of Boston... probably much less if you joined a buying group.

The best part of this engineered island approach? Don't like your association? Float on over to another... competing seasteads.

DarkCoin: XiZutyRTPTEFQm5aH2de2SCmzfgE6B78uK
Bitcoin: 1P4wYgkKTh3WzHUGqLFaef23bAeM4UV2jB
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:35:58 PM

Every time I read about seasteading I have to ask myself if any of the people promoting the idea have ever been at sea in a storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draupner_wave

The ocean is not some placid pool of water waiting for us to put a bunch of barges out to sea so we can have a "red neck yacht club".

This coming Tuesday, the predicted weather off the north coast of California is

"...N TO NE WINDS 30 TO 40 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 12 TO 19
 FT..."

12 to 19 feet is the "signficant wave height".  Be prepared for individual waves that may be TWICE that size.

A 38 foot wave would make a mess of just about every seastead plan I have seen and this is just an average day in the ocean.  I have not even looked for a storm.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:59:37 PM

Every time I read about seasteading I have to ask myself if any of the people promoting the idea have ever been at sea in a storm.

The ocean is not some placid pool of water waiting for us to put a bunch of barges out to sea so we can have a "red neck yacht club".

FT..."

12 to 19 feet is the "signficant wave height".  Be prepared for individual waves that may be TWICE that size.

A 38 foot wave would make a mess of just about every seastead plan I have seen and this is just an average day in the ocean.  I have not even looked for a storm.

this is where dubai's palm island works so well. the outer ring is the sea defence and the inner branches are where you build the housing/buildings on.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:13:02 PM

FT..."

this is where dubai's palm island works so well. the outer ring is the sea defence and the inner branches are where you build the housing/buildings on.

It also helps that their island building is in the Persian Gulf.  A body of water better known for it's sand storms than huge waves.

I don't see anyone attempting this same idea in the Bahamas.

Again, the ocean is a dangerous place.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:22:38 PM

Count me in.
Let me know what you need from me, physical or mental.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:44:38 PM

I think if Bitcoin gets its own island, it is only fair that FIAT gets its own island too... I propose we give FIAT an island that is home to the worlds largest soon to erupt volcano.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:44:46 PM

The islands they build have to be reworked because there isn't proper water flow, and the stagnant water causes problems for fish, etc.

You don't need a physical island; you just need a way to collaborate with people and do as much business as possible in bitcoin.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: