Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:17:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu GUI lagging with 2 GPU installed. Runs okay with 1.  (Read 350 times)
CoM1ner (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 12:06:23 AM

I am a Windows guy and trying to make the switch to Ubuntu. On my desktop PC with high end specs, Ubuntu runs fine with only 1 RX470 plugged in with a riser.

When I plug in the second RX470 with a riser, the GUI of Ubuntu runs painfully slow. I have tried the AMDGPU-PRO drivers and the ones that come with Ubuntu clean install with no results.

Does anyone know why running 2 GPU's on risers causes Ubuntu to lag while running only 1 GPU with a riser runs fine?
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 07:52:26 AM

I am a Windows guy and trying to make the switch to Ubuntu. On my desktop PC with high end specs, Ubuntu runs fine with only 1 RX470 plugged in with a riser.

When I plug in the second RX470 with a riser, the GUI of Ubuntu runs painfully slow. I have tried the AMDGPU-PRO drivers and the ones that come with Ubuntu clean install with no results.

Does anyone know why running 2 GPU's on risers causes Ubuntu to lag while running only 1 GPU with a riser runs fine?

Need more information about the "desktop PC with high end specs". What kind of motherboard it it? How much RAM do you have? How big is your swap disk? Does it have a CPU with onboard graphics? Have you disabled the onboard graphics in BIOS? Have you tried swapping the GPUs around? Have you tried the 2nd GPU in a different PCIE slot?

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: