Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:20:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3rd questions from a mining noob  (Read 327 times)
Miningquestions (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 01:04:47 PM

Hey again everyone, I'm back again for the third and probably last time before I go out and actually buy the GPU's to set up my rig.

1. How useful is EthOs? Other than convenience are there any other reasons to buy it rather than just using windows?

2. What is the average lifespan of a RX 470 or 480 in a relatively humid country?

3. How important is the efficiency of a power supply. Is having a platinum rated power supply vital or am I ok getting a gold 1000W supply. How much did you guys pay for you power supply?

4. This is a bit of a long one so I'm going to give a bit of a back story first. I have had a desktop for 3 years now. It has an intel I5 4440 and a motherboard with PCIe and USB3. I'm going to be getting a laptop in about a month and what to use some of my desktop parts to build the rig but I don't want to completely tear apart my PC. Can I remove all the cables and all video cards. Leave the motherboard and CPU inside the casing, open up the left side of the casing and have the mining GPU's (which will be attached to a self made open air mining case) connected into the motherboard in the open PC case instead of the motherboard resting on the ground or are there any distinct disadvantages to doing so?
I know this one isn't very well worded so if you need clarification just say so.

I know this ones a bit long so just answer whatever you want. Even an answer to one question is much appreciated Smiley
TheKoolaider

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 01:38:21 PM

Hey again everyone, I'm back again for the third and probably last time before I go out and actually buy the GPU's to set up my rig.

1. How useful is EthOs? Other than convenience are there any other reasons to buy it rather than just using windows?

2. What is the average lifespan of a RX 470 or 480 in a relatively humid country?

3. How important is the efficiency of a power supply. Is having a platinum rated power supply vital or am I ok getting a gold 1000W supply. How much did you guys pay for you power supply?

4. This is a bit of a long one so I'm going to give a bit of a back story first. I have had a desktop for 3 years now. It has an intel I5 4440 and a motherboard with PCIe and USB3. I'm going to be getting a laptop in about a month and what to use some of my desktop parts to build the rig but I don't want to completely tear apart my PC. Can I remove all the cables and all video cards. Leave the motherboard and CPU inside the casing, open up the left side of the casing and have the mining GPU's (which will be attached to a self made open air mining case) connected into the motherboard in the open PC case instead of the motherboard resting on the ground or are there any distinct disadvantages to doing so?
I know this one isn't very well worded so if you need clarification just say so.

I know this ones a bit long so just answer whatever you want. Even an answer to one question is much appreciated Smiley

1. EthOS is only useful until PoS. I believe it was written for GPU miners.

2. That's going to be hard to tell. I live in Texas where the humidity can get high, but my miners have gone through one humid summer no problem. But that's my subjective case.

3. PSU efficiency is important, but you should be fine with a gold. I have gold on all of my miners. According to Corsair(http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me) There is only a 2% difference in efficiency between the gold and platinum(assuming you're going to go with a full rig) that amount is negligible. Go with a gold it will save you money.

4. Yes, you can do that, but it will be messy and ugly. I assume that your MOBO can hold 1 or 2 GPUs. You're still going to need power cables to the GPUs. Additionally it sounds like the GPUs won't be on the MOBO so you'll need to get powered risers that allow your GPUs to connect to your MOBO, that will require additional power rails as well.  It will be annoying when you want to work on the rig, if you're going with your idea of taking your tower and laying it on the side. It would be better if you have your components on an actual frame designed for mining or on a rack that allows for open air.  Basically what I'm trying to say is, the way you're wanting to do it will be annoying when you want to assemble/disassemble your makeshift rig. It's better to have everything on a mining frame or shelves where people lay their MOBO down on the shelf and ziptie their GPUs on the next shelf up.

I hope this helps!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: