Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:47:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Mine = Scam?  (Read 1127 times)
Stampbit (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:20:36 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 04:34:59 AM by Stampbit

Here is a list of Alt-Coins with Private Pre-mines:

* Freicoin
* DevCoin
* Ripple

Factoid: Pre-mines are when developers give themselves and their friends central banker status (and like our central bank, under the guise of democracy).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:21:29 PM

You can start do define what you mean with premine.

Bitrated user: blastbob.
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:23:51 PM

You can start do define what you mean with premine.

This is already being discussed here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178697.0

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
Cheshyr

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:24:24 PM

Not all premines have to be scams.  Limited, fully disclosed premine, placed in public services for the coin like faucets and games...  that would help bootstrap a new coin.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:24:32 PM

What about premine that is given away to many people or organizations until a halfway reasonable difficulty is built up so that the first guy jumping on mining doesn't make like 1k coins a day?

edit: or as said above faucets.

like I haven't been on in like a week so i got in "late" already I can only mine about 50 feather coins a day but people who jumped on it the second it was realeased have thousands in a few days.
Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:31:37 PM

What about premine that is given away to many people or organizations until a halfway reasonable difficulty is built up so that the first guy jumping on mining doesn't make like 1k coins a day?

like I haven't been on in like a week so i got in "late" already I can only mine about 50 feather coins a day but people who jumped on it the second it was realeased have thousands in a few days.

So instead of just defaulting the difficulty at a rate where one guy cant make 1k coins a day, the dev's deign themselves the fed?
chris200x9
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

So instead of just defaulting the difficulty at a rate where one guy cant make 1k coins a day, the dev's deign themselves the fed?

Because the fed printed a few thousand dollars then backed off? Huh Seriously premining isn't controlling a currency as soon as it goes public all hell breaks loose anyway, also how do you propose making the default difficulty high, AFAIK difficulty relies on hash power.
Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:44:29 PM

Because the fed printed a few thousand dollars then backed off? Huh Seriously premining isn't controlling a currency as soon as it goes public all hell breaks loose anyway, also how do you propose making the default difficulty high, AFAIK difficulty relies on hash power.

Hardcode it to start at a certain target.
Shad3dOne

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

Interesting.....

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:48:57 PM

is this another pre-mine FUD thread??

just wondering cuz theres been a lot of those lately.

Domain for sale -> NXTcoin.com, 200 btc/2.9 M nxt. pm me
like craigslist but for btc! --> Visit BTClist.com
FederationCredits--> C6khbXzADRUeT9di2SpNubCt2UVTuayKMV What's this?
hdclover

Activity: 1106

www.bitcoin.org

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:51:34 PM

Feathercoin is pre-mined around 4.000.000 coins which goes to give-away section Smiley
politic is bad for your health..

Blah blah
chris200x9
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:52:27 PM

Do you even understand how crypto currencies work? You have a block found in x amount of time worth x amount of coins and it'll adjust difficulty to keep you finding a block in x amount of time as needed according to hash rate. You can't just hardcode a high difficulty with a low hash rate or a block will never be found.  The only way I can see what your suggesting working is if you had a hardcoded minimum difficulty, but then if the hash rate is low no blocks would get solved in a timely manner so no transaction confirmations. Basically you want a screwed up currency with wildly fluctuating transaction times, got it.
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:53:05 PM

Feathercoin is pre-mined around 4.000.000 coins which goes to give-away section Smiley

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

I remember when I started it was on block 300... or high into the 200's.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

xorxor

Activity: 476
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:54:24 PM

Not all premines have to be scams.  Limited, fully disclosed premine, placed in public services for the coin like faucets and games...  that would help bootstrap a new coin.

THIS!!  

+1 Cheshyr

scam - hidden or admited with a delay feature giving insiders much more coins!

fair - everything is transparent from the beggining.

Ripple, DVC and FRC give enormous percentage of new coins inflation to the devs/foundations. but this is not scam, causte they are fair and transparent about it  

fuck deeponion, fuck bitcoincash, all glory to one BITCOIN
hdclover

Activity: 1106

www.bitcoin.org

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:54:34 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

the truth will eventually be revealed

Blah blah
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:57:14 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

FUD... that's all this is.
Wait till a block chain explorer comes out... that will answer that question.

Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:13:45 PM

Do you even understand how crypto currencies work? You have a block found in x amount of time worth x amount of coins and it'll adjust difficulty to keep you finding a block in x amount of time as needed according to hash rate. You can't just hardcode a high difficulty with a low hash rate or a block will never be found.  The only way I can see what your suggesting working is if you had a hardcoded minimum difficulty, but then if the hash rate is low no blocks would get solved in a timely manner so no transaction confirmations. Basically you want a screwed up currency with wildly fluctuating transaction times, got it.

No, you will end up with a currency that will remain inactive until there is sufficient network participation (ie no chance of unfair first mover advantage).
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

http://cryptocoinexplorer.com:5750/

wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 09:51:32 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

Problem solved!

Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:25:48 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

Problem solved!

So does that show feathercoin as a private premine?
syner

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Based on what??
FC Was not pre-mined!

Problem solved!

So does that show feathercoin as a private premine?

That shows that feathercoin didn't have private premine.

2013-04-16 09:15:30 PM --> Feathercoin was released --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178286.0
2013-04-16 09:17:40 PM --> First block --> http://cryptocoinexplorer.com:5750/block/fdbe99b90c90bae7505796461471d89ae8388ab953997aa06a355bbda8d915cb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: