Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:13:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CampBX - How safe is it? Any troubled past?  (Read 2229 times)
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:55:53 PM

I'm looking for an exchange to use since Gox has been having lag problems and Bitfloor is on its deathbed. I remember Camp BX from way back in 2011, but I never used them or really paid much attention. And it seems they don't get discussed much around here either.

So I guess my question is, has anyone used these guys? Do you trust them? Is there anything in their past that I should know about before using them as my secondary platform?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:28:01 PM

No skeletons in their closet as far as I know.  I've been trading with them since soon after they opened (a year at least? maybe two now?)

My only gripes:

1.  Their site and API have been a bit slow lately.  Probably because they are picking up new accounts.  They are probably due for an infrastructure upgrade.

2.  If you trade via the API and try to log into the website, if your bot logs in at the same time you are logged into the website, you'll get kicked off the site.  So you need to pause any bots you might have if you actually need to log into the website for anything.  Kind of annoying, but shouldn't affect you if you aren't using the API.
starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:14:54 PM

There support is horrible just fyi.
I had problems there before related to a dwolla deposit
NY11giants

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:27:03 AM

Ive used them and like a lot.  Low volume, but has always met my needs.  +1 from me
knybe

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:45:56 PM

+1
anexsia

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:08:18 PM

I was trying to get my account verified there and it took weeks for support to reply to my e-mail so I ended up going with Mt. Gox instead. I'll probably try using CampBX again in the future as I have heard good things about them but I just wasn't impressed with my first experience trying to contact support.
tclo

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:54:27 AM

How difficult is it to get approved to short BTC on CampBX?   That sounds like a major plus with the price so volatile lately.

I just opened an acct and did a Dwolla depsoit for funding but didn't work.  It took $50 out of my Dwolla acct but didn't show up on CampBX....not a great way to start.

I see their offices are just 10 minutes from me, which i like for some reason. I guess I could go over there and harass them if they tried to steal my money.

But have any of you shorted BTC with them?  I wish I would have known about this when it was over 200...probably would have been very easy money.
epetroel

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:56:57 PM

How difficult is it to get approved to short BTC on CampBX?   That sounds like a major plus with the price so volatile lately.

I just opened an acct and did a Dwolla depsoit for funding but didn't work.  It took $50 out of my Dwolla acct but didn't show up on CampBX....not a great way to start.

I see their offices are just 10 minutes from me, which i like for some reason. I guess I could go over there and harass them if they tried to steal my money.

But have any of you shorted BTC with them?  I wish I would have known about this when it was over 200...probably would have been very easy money.

As I understand it their trading engine supports margin and shorting, but they have yet to actually enable the feature on the site yet (not enough volume).

As for Dwolla deposits, how long have you waited?  Usually it takes a few hours, sometimes as long as a day or so.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 01:05:25 PM

I've had great experience with them. It's obviously a small shop and they can't be everywhere at once so response times can be slow. But once the are aware of an issue the address them promptly. I've had deposits hit in a few hours ( this is clearly a Manual process on their end) And when I hit a certain threshold I was required to verify my accound which took less than 24 hours ( do it now before they start experiencing a gox like lag!).  The interface and API is a bit slow for my tastes but it works. Hopefully they will see more volume in the future. 
epetroel

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:23:35 PM

I've had great experience with them. It's obviously a small shop and they can't be everywhere at once so response times can be slow. But once the are aware of an issue the address them promptly. I've had deposits hit in a few hours ( this is clearly a Manual process on their end) And when I hit a certain threshold I was required to verify my accound which took less than 24 hours ( do it now before they start experiencing a gox like lag!).  The interface and API is a bit slow for my tastes but it works. Hopefully they will see more volume in the future. 

Seems like they've beefed up the API a bit, so I'm not seeing nearly as many issues there lately.  I agree though that the site itself is sluggish.
tclo

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:16:36 AM

Yes with a lack of volume, obviously more difficult to trade if you have the bid/asp spread to deal with. I mainly opened the account to be able to short BTC sometimes but not sure how likely that is.  They seem to have a much better designed site than BTC-e, at least at a glance.  Well I'm going to put the minimum $500 in there to hopefully be eligible for margin trading (incl. shorting) and we'll see what happens.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:19:41 AM

Is this site pretty much finished now?  I can't find the official thread.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 01:56:34 PM

They did improve their servers as promised.  Site seems to be working much better.

I've been using them for a couple months now without any issue.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:51:50 PM

cool.  I'll have to try it.  Have not used them in a while.
tclo

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 12:49:14 PM

Yes volume is still low and spreads are relatively large much of the time, but the server upgrade did make the site 100% better.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 04:29:44 PM

Yes volume is still low and spreads are relatively large much of the time, but the server upgrade did make the site 100% better.

Agreed, their site upgraded did miracles.

Their inability to make deposits by wire, and the 30 day wait time for making depsoit by dwolla make it a PITA to get money into though. Who sends checks these days? Also, they won't accept checks from the bank, only personal checks.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
tclo

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:09:00 PM

Agreed, their site upgraded did miracles.

Their inability to make deposits by wire, and the 30 day wait time for making depsoit by dwolla make it a PITA to get money into though. Who sends checks these days? Also, they won't accept checks from the bank, only personal checks.

I got in right before the started that 30 day wait, so I haven't had to suffer any of that.  But I like having Dwolla funding...that is the best part of using the site for me.  I can leave my money parked (relatively) safely in Dwolla and just pull into CampBX when I want to.  Coinbase is good too but their prices are usually higher when you buy.

I don't know how CampBx is doing much business and making any money but I hope they stick around for awhile.  If Gox ever truly implodes, I'm sure they would benefit.
tclo

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

Okay but i've funded over 6 figures to campbx now, how come after being a customer for months and sending 6+ figures, I can't now use dwollla, that's flawed security at best. Not to mention isn't dwolla $5k USD per transaction max, last thing i need is to have to send 20 $5k transactions to send 100k of funding. My banks already hate me, having 20 transactions in a day isn't going to make that any better (thanks alot coinbase, this is one of the reasons my chase account was likely closed, instead of settling all my orders via ACH once a day, you waited 4 or 5 days then sent a couple hundred to my account at once...Chase loved that one :p

Are you (or anyone else) able to use the margin and shorting features on CampBX?  They advertise that but has always been greyed out for me despite having a couple thousand bucks in there.  But if you are in the six figures, then sounds like you would have access to it if anyone would.
geofflosophy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 09:31:32 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2013, 09:51:18 PM by geofflosophy

Can verify that support is horrible/non-existent. I did a dwolla deposit to start my 30 day countdown, but now it says that I have to wait 90 days to transfer my BTC elsewhere. This apparently also applies to BTC transferred in, as I only bought 0.011 BTC from CampBX with my Dwolla deposit, but transferred in 5 BTC to sell. and now can't transfer any of them out (I'm not getting the price I want on CampBX). Details on the story here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265702

Edit: I recommend Coinbase. You can pay and withdrawal by directly linking a bank account, which is better than Dwolla. Once you're at Tier II you can purchase instantly from an ACH bank transfer, and even at tier I you get to lock in the price, just don't get your coins for four days. If you find this info helpful, here's my ref link, we'll each get 0.01 BTC on your first purchase: https://coinbase.com/?r=51dc61a4c6d4c7bcbc000019
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 10:18:31 PM

Can verify that support is horrible/non-existent. I did a dwolla deposit to start my 30 day countdown, but now it says that I have to wait 90 days to transfer my BTC elsewhere. This apparently also applies to BTC transferred in, as I only bought 0.011 BTC from CampBX with my Dwolla deposit, but transferred in 5 BTC to sell. and now can't transfer any of them out (I'm not getting the price I want on CampBX). Details on the story here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265702

Edit: I recommend Coinbase. You can pay and withdrawal by directly linking a bank account, which is better than Dwolla. Once you're at Tier II you can purchase instantly from an ACH bank transfer, and even at tier I you get to lock in the price, just don't get your coins for four days. If you find this info helpful, here's my ref link, we'll each get 0.01 BTC on your first purchase: https://coinbase.com/?r=51dc61a4c6d4c7bcbc000019
Don't expect more responsive support from Coinbase...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: