Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:19:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it really safe to use Electrum?  (Read 3025 times)
Vito Corleone (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:34:44 PM

How i can be sure that private keys not stored on centralized servers?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:41:58 PM

Electrum is open source, that means you (or anyone else) can check the source code and see exactly how the program works. Therefore, if the private keys were to be stored on centralized servers, someone would likely take notice. So it should be safe. But if you really don't trust it for whatever reason, you could always stick to Bitcoin Core.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:46:25 PM

In addition to what the user above said, the servers that Electrum connects to are not made by the developer of the wallet (ThomasV), they are made by people from the bitcoin community so It wouldn't make sense If the developer will make the private keys sent to somebody else, those servers only know your addresses and nothing else.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Vito Corleone (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:53:28 PM

In addition to what the user above said, the servers that Electrum connects to are not made by the developer of the wallet (ThomasV), they are made by people from the bitcoin community so It wouldn't make sense If the developer will make the private keys sent to somebody else, those servers only know your addresses and nothing else.

When users enters private key it must to be send to bitcoin blockchain servers in encrypted format, how i can be sure that no one can see them, use packet sniffing, etc..?
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:53:31 PM

- Electrum wasn't created yesterday, it has been around for a couple of years.
- it is open source so you either have to know programming (python mostly) and go through the code and compile it yourself. or trust others who have done it.
- also you can trust many other users who are using the wallet to report in case one of them lost anything because of what you assume.

When users enters private key it must to be send to bitcoin blockchain servers in encrypted format, how i can be sure no one can see them?

i think you are having trouble with the basics of bitcoin.
what you send to the "blockchain servers" which is called a node is your public key and that is safe because there is no way of finding private key from public key.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Vito Corleone (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 04:58:44 PM

- Electrum wasn't created yesterday, it has been around for a couple of years.
- it is open source so you either have to know programming (python mostly) and go through the code and compile it yourself. or trust others who have done it.
- also you can trust many other users who are using the wallet to report in case one of them lost anything because of what you assume.

When users enters private key it must to be send to bitcoin blockchain servers in encrypted format, how i can be sure no one can see them?

i think you are having trouble with the basics of bitcoin.
what you send to the "blockchain servers" which is called a node is your public key and that is safe because there is no way of finding private key from public key.

It can be used for 100 years... I want know myself how private keys transfered? Do they transfered in ecnrypted format? Do no one can intercept while private keys sending to servers?
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:07:44 PM

When users enters private key it must to be send to bitcoin blockchain servers in encrypted format, how i can be sure that no one can see them, use packet sniffing, etc..?

Of course the keys you entered will be encrypted, that's a protocol. But let's be practical here, when it comes to online transactions many eyes are lurking and handling this is the job of Electrum's developer. We cannot deny that at some point a hacker might have unlocked a user's private key by decrypting. However, this is not a common scenario. Electrum may be safe for now, but i advice you to take precautions just to be safe. And if you are having doubts regarding Electrum's safety, you can always use hardware wallets. I think they are more secured.
Vito Corleone (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:10:55 PM

Of course the keys you entered will be encrypted, that's a protocol. But let's be practical here, when it comes to online transactions many eyes are lurking and handling this is the job of Electrum's developer. We cannot deny that at some point a hacker might have unlocked a user's private key by decrypting. However, this is not a common scenario. Electrum may be safe for now, but i advice you to take precautions just to be safe. And if you are having doubts regarding Electrum's safety, you can always use hardware wallets. I think they are more secured.

I think it's safer to use Bitcoin core wallet because it connects directly to nodes.
Electrum servers are centralized.

What do you think?
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:18:31 PM

I think it's safer to use Bitcoin core wallet because it connects directly to nodes.

What do you think?

I think it is safe to use Electrum. In this forum is the people's favorite regarding desktop wallets. Electrum does not give out your private keys to the servers. Electrum is as safe to use as your PC is. Nothing to worry for example if you format your PC and install Linux into it. Soon after you install Electrum, 99.99% of the cases you will be safe.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Vito Corleone (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:27:25 PM

What do you think?

I think it is safe to use Electrum. In this forum is the people's favorite regarding desktop wallets. Electrum does not give out your private keys to the servers. Electrum is as safe to use as your PC is. Nothing to worry for example if you format your PC and install Linux into it. Soon after you install Electrum, 99.99% of the cases you will be safe.

No matter what people will say, people who think with their own head want to analyse themselves.
You think that it safe, but it does not mean that it actually safe.

It give - transfer keys to the servers, because this is the only way to connect to the blockchain and receive your bitcoins.

Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:33:03 PM

I think you need to read the documentation. Below a part of the documentation that states Electrum never gives out private keys to the servers

"
Does Electrum trust servers?

Not really; the Electrum client never sends private keys to the servers. In addition, it verifies the information reported by servers, using a technique called Simple Payment Verification"

Now below the Simple Payment Verification

"Simple Payment Verification (SPV) is a technique described in Satoshi Nakamoto’s paper. SPV allows a lightweight client to verify that a transaction is included in the Bitcoin blockchain, without downloading the entire blockchain. The SPV client only needs download the block headers, which are much smaller than the full blocks. To verify that a transaction is in a block, a SPV client requests a proof of inclusion, in the form of a Merkle branch.

SPV clients offer more security than web wallets, because they do not need to trust the servers with the information they send."

I have been using Electrum as my day to day wallet from quite some years now, never encountered a problem with the private keys.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:16:56 PM

It can be used for 100 years... I want know myself how private keys transfered? Do they transfered in ecnrypted format? Do no one can intercept while private keys sending to servers?

as i told you, if you want to know yourself you need to know programming (python for the most part) and go through the code.
here is the link: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum
otherwise i am afraid there is no other way, other than trusting other people's judgement.

of course you can always ask/pay someone whom you know around you to go through the code and check it for you.

It give - transfer keys to the servers, because this is the only way to connect to the blockchain and receive your bitcoins.

this is the only way that "you can think of" as i said above you should read more about basics of how bitcoin works.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Format.C^

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 07:28:31 AM

From the day I know bitcoin I am using only electrum wallet and now its more then 2 years and I feel that my bitcoins are really safe in it as I have never faced any issue with the security of the coins nor I have lost any single penny from it so for me electrum is the best wallet.
AforAmethyst

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 10:46:57 PM

I've just installed an Electrum wallet for the first time. In the [Console] details there is a "welcome to hachre's Electrum server!" (running Electrumx 1.0.5, Bitcoin 0.13.2)

Hachre sounds like hacker, but I notice that one of official servers on the electrum.org website is listed as "hachre" with the .de website country code for Germany.

However, further on in my Electrum wallet console the contact email "electrum@hach.re" is given. The .re is a website country code for Reunion - a remote French island next to Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

My question is: Is this a genuine Electrum server?
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 03:56:22 AM

I've just installed an Electrum wallet for the first time. In the [Console] details there is a "welcome to hachre's Electrum server!" (running Electrumx 1.0.5, Bitcoin 0.13.2)

Hachre sounds like hacker, but I notice that one of official servers on the electrum.org website is listed as "hachre" with the .de website country code for Germany.

However, further on in my Electrum wallet console the contact email "electrum@hach.re" is given. The .re is a website country code for Reunion - a remote French island next to Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

My question is: Is this a genuine Electrum server?

What you are seeing in the [Console] tab is simply the welcome message when your Electrum client connected to one of the many Electrum servers. Its basically an announcement when you connect to their server. This is fine and nothing to worry about Smiley
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 03:02:30 PM

What can these centralized servers see from me? Only my adress, or also, but not limited to, IPS, operating systems, etcetera. Which data does electrum stores/collects? How much privacy do i have using Electrum in comparison to Bitcoin Core?

If anyone has a link to their ToS, that would be greatly appreciated.

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 05:39:41 PM

What can these centralized servers see from me? Only my adress, or also, but not limited to, IPS, operating systems, etcetera. Which data does electrum stores/collects? How much privacy do i have using Electrum in comparison to Bitcoin Core?

If anyone has a link to their ToS, that would be greatly appreciated.

The servers can see your IP address as well as your public addresses. I don't believe your Operating System or other PC specific information is revealed though.

If you want to be more anonymous while using Electrum, you should use a proxy or Tor for Electrum's connections.
Dragonizer

Activity: 279
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:34:51 AM

Does anyone still use 2FA (and the charge!), All i see are posts of people recovering from seed and ditching it.

Also does anyone bother with Trezor or a similar hardware wallet ?

Not sure how you set it up with Electrum ?
sherlock_h

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

Byteball: DAG, Built-in Chat, Conditional Payments

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:41:46 AM

I'm still studying their system, but it's probably a lot better than storing in exchanges or online wallets. If you do not already have a hardware wallet, that might be a good option until you get one.

⚪ Byteball (https://byteball.org/)     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1608859.0)          TELEGRAM (https://t.me/byteball)          TWITTER (https://twitter.com/ByteballOrg)          MEDIUM (https://medium.com/byteball)          SLACK (https://slack.byteball.org/)          REDDIT (https://www.reddit.com/r/ByteBall/)
Dragonizer

Activity: 279
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:46:27 AM

I'm still studying their system, but it's probably a lot better than storing in exchanges or online wallets. If you do not already have a hardware wallet, that might be a good option until you get one.

What might be a good option until i get a hardware wallet ? Confusd??
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: