Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we ever have Bitcoin without tons of drama and BS?  (Read 980 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:08:03 PM

The media is reporting a "Civil War" in the Bitcoin community.

Development solution == "Increase the blocksize and leave it alone", we do not need "developers" paid by a company to control the future of Bitcoin. Also, we do not need bloatware with dangerous new features. Bugs and other issues can be handled like any other successful Open Source project. Oh wait... "Bugs and other issues" lead to fights and more "Civil War" to entertain the masses.

Can we ever have Bitcoin without tons of drama and BS?
How, exactly?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:27:40 PM

Development solution == "Increase the blocksize and leave it alone", we do not need "developers" paid by a company to control the future of Bitcoin. Also, we do not need bloatware with dangerous new features. Bugs and other issues can be handled like any other successful Open Source project. Oh wait... "Bugs and other issues" lead to fights and more "Civil War" to entertain the masses.

How, exactly?

No, no we can't. Bitcoin translates to "drama" in Japanese. I can't remember one year in the last six that wasn't filled with drama.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:34:06 PM

Disruptive technology is disruptive. o_O

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:47:01 PM

This is why centralised currency control was invented first and have been around for many many years. This is the first time in human history to have a decentralised currency which everyone can participate. These dramas are part of the process of growing and learning on the way how the NEW currency is working and managed.
SvenBomvolen

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 05:55:17 PM

I think we are not able to do anything with bitcoin's changings. I have predicted long time ago that we will not see bitcoin as today ever again. Don't know what kind of implications this new changes will bring to us, simple users, we will have just face it and to adopt.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2017, 06:00:58 PM

The developers write the code while the miners get the money.

The developers do not like that, so they accept the bribes of corporate interests so they get money, writing code that robs the miners so the corporate interests get money too.

That's what it is all about.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:06:17 PM

How, exactly?

The short answer is no, in many open source projects there is drama about the direction the project is going to take or the way to solve a bug, when you add money into the mix and the media then that is a recipe for big time drama and maybe even a disaster.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
Cashew

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:09:21 PM

Drama will be here because we have easily corruptible developpers, to whom you can change the mind for a few bitcoins. And do not forget the very stubborn ones !
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:41:52 PM

Drama + BS = Bitcoin
This is the main formula for bitcoin, so NO without these bitcoin will not exist and we must get on with it. Grin
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:42:17 PM

No, it lies in the nature of Bitcoin to bring drama. It is a new decentralized technology, with people supporting it for different causes and having different visions. Those things bring drama and conflict. And as others have said, adding money to the mix doesn't make it better.

On the other hand, it might not necessarily be that bad. Conflicting ideas mean competition, which could help Bitcoin evolve. Or it could also be its downfall, as the community gets too divided and no one works together. Only time will tell.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 06:50:54 PM

Drama is very common in any consensus process, one of the common examples is democracy - sometimes there's a lot of fighting between supporters and their candidates, but in the end people usually reach some agreement, it might be far from perfect, but should stop fighting for some time. This is the reason why people want consensus in the first place - to not feel like their interests have been ignored. So same with Bitcoin, - some miners are not happy with Core, they want Bitcoin to be different, and it's their right to think so, Bitcoin was designed to be decentralized in all senses - we don't have anyone to make regulations.
Some people are nervous, because it's bad for price, but consensus and decentralization is the reason why price reached $1200+ in the first place.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 08:16:32 PM

Everyone so far has answered a clear "No", perhaps someday I will find time to reveal the path to 'Yes'.  Cheesy

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 08:20:23 PM

Everyone so far has answered a clear "No", perhaps someday I will find time to reveal the path to 'Yes'.  Cheesy

It's easy. Humans evolve into a hive mind.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 08:44:11 PM

Oh, please do.  I tire of the drama.  I would like to see the major players grow-up and solve the BTC overcapacity issues.

But I agree with the views of most above.   When you mix money, egos, new technologies and differing agendas it does seem that it would be very hard to reach a consensus that makes people comfortable.  I would like to see some stability and long-term thinking from the miners and the developers, THIS would help BTC grow.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 08:48:31 PM

There'll always be drama. Even without these split in the community, every major spike and plunge would be reported with flair. As for this forking thingie, I guess it's natural that people would argue over it. It's not like we have a central bank that regulates the crypto's activities. Like government systems, democracies tend to be always more dramatic (except when dictatorships fall of course).

No, it lies in the nature of Bitcoin to bring drama. It is a new decentralized technology, with people supporting it for different causes and having different visions. Those things bring drama and conflict. And as others have said, adding money to the mix doesn't make it better.

On the other hand, it might not necessarily be that bad. Conflicting ideas mean competition, which could help Bitcoin evolve. Or it could also be its downfall, as the community gets too divided and no one works together. Only time will tell.

True, this is why people are worried. Especially us who are new to the currency and not tech-savvy enough. It could either improve it by fixing it or making the crypto sector more competitive, or it could break to the point where people just leave it.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 09:04:08 PM

This is because:
1. there's no authoritative voting system in Bitcoin, so users can't vote on features to implement, users can't make decisions.

2. PoW mining controls nearly 100% of the power in Bitcoin, users have nearly 0% power, and will simply have to obey the PoW miner's decision.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Technicality

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 09:35:23 PM

I think it's great that there's controversy in Bitcoin.  It shows that Bitcoin users are intelligent and capable of having strong opinions and knowing how to express them.  Sometimes, sure, it gets too dramatic, but it's good that people believe things as much as they do, and I don't think this going away would make Bitcoin more interesting or even necessarily more credible.
rajasumi3

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 05:44:56 AM

I think bitcoin is drama is necessary because it is becoming the topic of discussion for all the people .people are having different discussions on it and showin interest in it .
See the positive side that if more people discuss about bitcoins then more people will start using it and accepting on it and articles in magazines will be produced,  which will henceforth make the people knowledgable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: