Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:39:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to bitcoins just one quesiton maybe it's easy.  (Read 2134 times)
MrBurns (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 09:44:14 PM

I have taken the opportunity to read everything I can. My only question that I have come up with is not how long a transaction takes to confirm but how long it takes to show up in the client. I have 92761 blocks showing. If someone sends me coins during this transaction block period will it not show in my interface until 92762? I have not been able to find that answer in the wiki or the FAQ's.

Would anyone send me some money to play with? I use TOR and the BitCoinFaucet will not give me any money because of that.

17yhRAYKJvVmBh14HMxYRHp2Z4erWgk1ne

Thank you all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 09:49:10 PM

For me most transactions have been almost instantaneous.
I'm no developer though, they may be able to indicate occasions where it won't be so fast.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2010, 09:52:22 PM

I have taken the opportunity to read everything I can. My only question that I have come up with is not how long a transaction takes to confirm but how long it takes to show up in the client. I have 92761 blocks showing. If someone sends me coins during this transaction block period will it not show in my interface until 92762? I have not been able to find that answer in the wiki or the FAQ's.

Would anyone send me some money to play with? I use TOR and the BitCoinFaucet will not give me any money because of that.

17yhRAYKJvVmBh14HMxYRHp2Z4erWgk1ne

Thank you all.

Sent a drop, with a 20% TOR bonus Smiley

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 09:59:45 PM

I can't believe how fast the payment usually arrives. When I withdraw some BTC from mtgox, as soon as I click on the bitcoin window the coins are already there (unconfirmed of course).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2010, 10:35:57 PM

MrBurns, did you do something strange? Send to yourself a bunch of times? I didn't think that would even go into blocks...

referring to this..

http://theymos.ath.cx:64150/bbe/block/00000000000739589e6e26d53fbcb42c44075e3af5ea20a74ae6a899bf1565a0

http://theymos.ath.cx:64150/bbe/block/000000000002163911e48c1c53e91c83d47c1a86a6bfdfa04dec284b3fc58414

edit: maybe TOR is doing something odd?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 10:47:57 PM

I can't believe how fast the payment usually arrives. When I withdraw some BTC from mtgox, as soon as I click on the bitcoin window the coins are already there (unconfirmed of course).

Yeah, the propagation of transactions is pretty zippy right now, because there are not nearly the number of nodes to spread a transaction to as the system is intended to support.  As Bitcoin becomes more popular, the lag time for transactions will increase.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:24:00 PM

I'm no developer though, they may be able to indicate occasions where it won't be so fast.
Wow am I an idiot.  I utter the above yesterday, and today things are going so slowly I was beginning to wonder if I had botched up my client or wallet somehow.

What the heck is going on?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:29:03 PM

Wow am I an idiot.  I utter the above yesterday, and today things are going so slowly I was beginning to wonder if I had botched up my client or wallet somehow.

What the heck is going on?

Someone has been spamming the network with transactions to oneself.  Whoever it is needs to use the test network to play games, that is what it is for.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: