Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:12:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-03-21] Charlie Shrem Partners with Dash DAO to Produce Dash-Branded Debit  (Read 562 times)
bitlamp (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 09:10:00 AM

https://cointelegraph.com/images/725_Ly9jb2ludGVsZWdyYXBoLmNvbS9zdG9yYWdlL3VwbG9hZHMvdmlldy84NTgxMGYyNzA2ODkxZGYyZDhjMTRlZjU1ZTk3YzU5Ni5qcGc=.jpg

Early Bitcoin pioneer Charlie Shrem, co-founder of now-defunct Bitcoin exchange BitInstant, is pursuing a new venture, a Dash-branded and Dash-accepting debit card. Rather than seeking startup funding through more traditional means, however, Shrem has instead sought funding directly from Dash itself.

Instead of the entirety of the block reward going to miners like most other coins, Dash gives 45 percent to masternode stakeholders, and 10 percent is set aside for development and other community projects.

As this card would constitute a community project to grow Dash’s ecosystem, Shrem submitted a proposal to the masternodes, seeking funding from the decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) within Dash itself. The proposal currently counts an overwhelming majority of favorable votes, meaning that it will be funded unless an unexpected torrent of “no” votes materializes.

Cointelegraph spoke with Shrem about his proposal, seeking to become involved with Dash and his history in the cryptocurrency movement.

Cointelegraph: Congratulations on your first Dash treasury proposal doing well! What led you to pursue this avenue?

Charlie Shrem: I’ve been working with Payza since 2014 on various crypto integrations. Recently, in Miami, I met the Dash Business Development team and introduced them to an exchange that has integrated Dash. I then increased my position in Dash as I got to understand the project better. I like the concept of MasterNodes and the simplicity behind it. I decided to put together my own plan to launch the Dash debit card and put together a budget. I realized that people would be more comfortable holding Dash as a store of value if they could spend it whenever they wanted. I created a pre-proposal and the excitement grew!

CT: How did this, doing business with a coin itself rather than a company, differ from traditional ways of doing business?

CS: It’s really interesting and I know other coins have tried this. Steem for example, when the witness payouts were higher, the witnesses would allocate funds to various projects. With Dash, anyone can submit a proposal and if they receive 10 percent net yes notes, the protocol automatically allocates the budget to them. It’s awesome self-governance and economic incentivization.

CT: Has this changed the parameters for how to do business, like in terms of what you can accomplish with this card?

CS: This card has two great things to it. Merchants accepting Dash can now instantly withdraw their funds and use the card to pay bills. The second is psychological. When you are holding a form of value, the harder it is for you to spend or use it, the less you want to hold it. One of the things that give Bitcoin its utility as a store of value is the widespread belief by holders they can sell/spend/buy whenever they choose anywhere they choose. There are over 20 different Bitcoin debit cards available, it’s time for a Dash card.

CT: You've been involved in the world of cryptocurrency for a long time. What first got you involved? What was that one moment or aspect that ignited your imagination?

CS: What got me passionate about crypto was a lot of things, for the first time people didn’t need to rely on their individual liberties being defended by governments or corporations, rather we take our own rights and defend them with technology.

CT: Does that remain the same today?

CS: Of course.

CT: Back in the day it was Bitcoin’s world. Is that any different today?

CS: I don’t think it’s changed, but there are a lot more businesses and services around Bitcoin now, so you can use a custodial wallet but you have less freedom and can be frozen, or use your own wallet.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/charlie-shrem-partners-with-dash-dao-to-produce-dash-branded-debit-card
Scrotum

Activity: 119
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 09:26:08 AM

Does Shrem not know of the scam launch, or does he not care?
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 11:14:58 AM

Apparantly he knows a lot more then you.... period.
I also have a feeling he does not care about your opinion, and to be honest neither do i.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 11:42:33 AM

i think he does not care, Voger Ver says 5% of his bitcoins are spread among various altcoins..

Shrem should also disclose how many percent of his bitcoins is invested in altcoins for us to know how much he's into DASH.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 11:58:55 AM

Shrem should also disclose how many percent of his bitcoins is invested in altcoins for us to know how much he's into DASH.

why does he should ?  does he borrow something from you ?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Scrotum

Activity: 119
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 12:05:57 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2017, 12:23:38 PM by Scrotum

I also have a feeling he does not care about your opinion, and to be honest neither do i.

If you didn't care about my opinion you wouldn't reply ... shrem must be desperate, not surprised he's associated with Dash, with his history it must be hard to get taken seriously by legitimate projects.
dandyone

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 12:55:39 PM

He is being paid for this from the Dash network, so why should he care about anything else.
It's just business for him and if he can make a profit, he will take it.
This will increase the value of Dash in the real world, though.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 02:20:22 PM

lol, qwizzie cant go out of his skin, still attacking random people and explain them he dont care about their opinion instead just really dont care and ignore as most normal people do.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 04:19:05 PM

If dash wasn't on LE's radar before, they certainly will be with the addition of Shrem.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 04:21:11 PM

Remember when Paycoin was coming out with a debit card? This probably will not end well.

innergy

Activity: 685
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 04:22:19 PM

Yes, let's do it. Let as pay more fees.. it's beautiful.. Wink
topesis

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 04:32:19 PM

Charlie Shrem is looking to be back in the game, after his Mainstreet ICO project failed to attract investors he is able to get free money from Dash team for another white elephant project.

Why do I need a Dash credit card?
dandyone

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 05:47:18 PM

Why wouldn't you?
Don't you want to have the option to buy something with your Dash at any store that accepts credit cards?
I don't see a downside to this.
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 05:54:22 PM

lmao this is a complete scam.  hahaha you all getting hosed
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 06:13:50 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2017, 12:30:33 AM by arielbit

why does he should ?  does he borrow something from you ?

he should. for the crypto newbs and sheeple that will simply buy DASH for a news/hype like this...what if shrem only invested 1btc how will that affect the hype? what if he invested 10000 btc?... ver said he is only 5% (of his BTCs) into altcoins that include dash and others...it says a lot, that he is not heavily into dash.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 08:57:35 AM

If dash wasn't on LE's radar before, they certainly will be with the addition of Shrem.

Good point.  Shrem may now be working with/for the Feds and helping develop their Dash honey pot project.  Any other explanation for why the Dash scam is allowed to continue despite all the noise being made about ICOs runs afoul of Occam's Razor.

lmao this is a complete scam.  hahaha you all getting hosed

Update: Dash is still a complete scam; bagholders are still getting hosed.

Fluffypony once asked "what is the point of Dash's decentralized funding if it's funding scams?"

We are still waiting to discover an answer to that paradox! Undecided Undecided Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
██████