Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:44:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: r/Bitcoin underhandedly censoring criticism of an unsafe coin-splitting proposal  (Read 447 times)
fuckthesystem (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 10:03:08 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2017, 12:49:44 AM by fuckthesystem

I've been posting on reddit's /r/Bitcoin since before the block size limit increasing hardfork proposals started and I haven't been critical of the moderation policy of keeping discussion of altcoins and forkcoins (and their client software) out of /r/Bitcoin. This is because it makes sense to limit /r/Bitcoin to strictly Bitcoin, to save time, help prevent confusion and distraction, although I personally am also fine with filtering the content myself. We know that sometimes there have even been clear attempts to manipulate public perceptions through organized or fake votes and comments, and we know at least some of the motives behind such manipulation. Perpetrating altcoin pump and dump scams (a.k.a. shitcoins) is just one such motive, which I hope most participants here are by now well aware of.

That said, even under stricter moderation, discussion of the mechanisms of forks and the consequences of such has, naturally, not been deliberately restricted, to my knowledge. Yet I am now seeing some of my comments on this subject disappearing, while deceptively still being shown while logged in to reddit with my account. This has completely deceived me into not suspecting anything untoward until I discovered it by chance days later. I've seen no notification of any sort about the covert deletions, and there is no visible trace of the comments on reddit when not logged in to my account, even days after the comments were posted. I find this completely unacceptable. It's deceptive, subversive, underhand, unaccountable.

This has happened to me twice within a period of 5 days (and I don't post often). Here's the first example:

The topic is the so-called User-Activated Soft-Fork (UASF) which is a proposal of very little substance in terms of code and little specifics in terms of theory and rationale. One thing certain about its current form is that it can easily lead to a split of the blockchain, and thus the currency, into two.

The context is this comment by /u/etmetm, to which I replied:

As far as I can tell, the whole UASF thing is a trollposal. Doesn't matter SegWit or any other rule change. My best guess is that the primary intention behind promoting this trollposal is to find gullible people who might fall for other shitforks and shitcoins and scam them or use them to scam others.

I stand behind what I've written completely. I'm ready to explain, expand on and defend everything said, if someone is interested. That is, in an environment where my words can actually reach people.

P.S.: There seems to be some automatic moderation policy on keywords on /r/Bitcoin. I don't know which words this covers and why such action has been taken by the moderators. This has prevented me from posting this verbatim on /r/Bitcoin. Additionally, a modified version of this seems to have been deleted at least once manually by a moderator (judging by how it was not deleted for at least a few seconds after submitting).

Edit: Note I did not post this topic to this section originally. I find it just a little weird that moderator mprep decided to move my topic from Other > Meta to Economy > Marketplace > Service Discussion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 12:32:09 PM

have you ever seen the r/btc? they are dedicated to keep this censorship out, AFAIK. r/bitcoin had been criticised for censoring bitcoin XT in the past. and all the threads about bitcoin XT here, including mine, are kicked to the altcoin discussion session.

indeed so far r/bitcoin moderation is too biased for me.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: