Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:10:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Watch Only Wallet" - confused and potentially robbed, need help  (Read 1441 times)
Rivaderci (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 02:00:51 PM

Ill try to keep it short but its confusing.

January 2014, open localbitcoins account and buy bit coins, 3 transactions totaling 7.xxx coins

August, 2015, for security reasons I'm told opening up a block chain account is better, so i do, somehow i am issued two different wallets, one to which i clearly don't know the password and have never accessed yet is tied to my email address … and the other which i do, we will call this "wallet 2"

I transfer my coins from localbitcoin to block chain wallet 2 and they appear, no issues

January 2016
I try to make a deposit on a website but I am told my wallet is "watch only" so i can't move my coins but do see they are still there.  I try to change my watch only status but give up in the short term.

July 2016
I log back into wallet 2 and I see my coins are gone.  I log into my localbitcoin account and see a -.000333 balance.  I reach out to support on block chain but without access to my account they can't help me at all.

I am trying to gain access to the WALLET 1 but never have had access and can't imagine why it would be there, this was confirmed by support that that wallet has never been accessed.

So basically, somehow my "watch only wallet" successfully sent coins somewhere and there is no transaction history in my block chain account ….

Does anyone have any idea what the hell has happened?  Am i just shit out of luck and out $3500+?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PremiumCodeX

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 02:25:01 PM

I cannot see a way that you had the money in blockchain wallet and it disappeared without a trace. Blockchain saves every transaction and I do not know about any method that could change transaction history. Could you elaborate a bit more please how did this "Watch only" wallet work? At an other online provider I have an account that supports a more complicated 'Full' and an easier 'Watch only' access, but the two accesses are to the same account so if I do something with 'Full' access, it appears in 'Watch only' mode too.

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
Rivaderci (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 03:02:08 PM

UPDATE

Thank you for responding Premium Code.

Ok so i just made a little headway … I traced my transaction from my localbitcoins account to the address here 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z

That address must be associated with my block chain wallet, but when i log into wallet 2, it shows nothing, which means it must be associated with the other wallet 1, which I never successfully logged into …. so what recourse do I have if any?
Rivaderci (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 03:15:40 PM

BASICALLY:

So I created a wallet with blockchain

I transferred my bitcoin from "localbitcoins.com" to my new wallet at [Suspicious link removed]

address: 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82

was the address I had written down at the time and the one that I had associated with my blockchain log in information.

I logged into my wallet today just to make sure everything was status quo, and what I found was that apparently I have 2 wallet's associated with my email address.

the one to which I know the password: ending in 931ccc

and one to which I apparently do not: ending in 200cfae

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

I only created one account, and the one I created had the following address associated to it

1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82

I know this because on the same day I created a wallet with blockchain, i transferred 5.3353 bitcoin from "localbitcoins.com"  August 14th.

For some reason, it is showing me a different address when I log into the 931ccc account.

I UNDERSTAND BLOCKCHAIN DOESNT GIVE PASSWORDS

but can they at least:

1)  confirm that I have 2 wallets associated with my email address?
1a) if so, can they confirm they were both created on august 14th (because I truly only remember making one)

2) although i understand they obviously cant give me the passwords to a wallet, can they confirm that the following address 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82
 is associated with the following wallet

ending in 200cfae

Because if so, at least I can rest easy that I am the only person with access to that account .... once we confirm 1 and 1a ofcourse.

Does any of this make sense?  Should i edit this email before sending to Blockchain?
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 03:26:17 PM

When you log into blockchain.info, do you see any balance in your wallet? If so, then 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82 is a change address and you still (probably) own the Bitcoin. You should also be able to find a list of all of your addresses in blockchain.info.

Also, a watch only wallet cannot spend any Bitcoin at all whatsoever. It can only do as it's title says, watch the wallet. This is because a watch only wallet does not contain any private keys and cannot recover those private keys. If you do not have the wallet with the private keys, then your Bitcoin are lost.

Rivaderci (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 03:29:00 PM

When i log into wallet 2 it shows no balance and no transactions, which leads me to believe that the address where I know the bitcoin are, must be associated with a different wallet, i.e.: wallet 1, the one to which i do not know the password.

So basically problem 1 is, recovering password to wallet 1

problem 2 is, once i successfully log in, i still have no access to the coins in that wallet because there is some key that i don't have that i require in order to "unlock" the watch only status of wallet 1 (which i don't even have the password to)
achow101
Legendary

Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 03:44:34 PM

When i log into wallet 2 it shows no balance and no transactions, which leads me to believe that the address where I know the bitcoin are, must be associated with a different wallet, i.e.: wallet 1, the one to which i do not know the password.
If wallet 2 is a watch only wallet of wallet 1, then you should still see the balance there.

Unfortunately no one can help you there.

problem 2 is, once i successfully log in, i still have no access to the coins in that wallet because there is some key that i don't have that i require in order to "unlock" the watch only status of wallet 1 (which i don't even have the password to)
You cannot make a watch only wallet spendable since it contains no private keys whatsoever. You will need to find the full wallet (presumable wallet 1) which does have the private keys to spend the Bitcoin.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 03:49:19 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2016, 06:21:08 PM by cr1776

As it seems you know, if you don't have the password to wallet 1, you are probably out of luck since (assuming they work as they claim) they do not have the passwords to recover:

Password Policy
Your password is never transmitted over the internet, sent to our servers, stored in cookies or in your browser's local storage in any form for this reason we are unable to help recover lost passwords.

https://blockchain.info/wallet/security

It looks like 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82 has never had any transactions:
http://blockr.io/address/info/1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4616

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 06:04:28 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2017, 03:46:38 PM by DannyHamilton

I'd be happy to help if I can...

However, the information you are providing doesn't make much sense, and some of what you did was so long ago that I fear you may not have a clear recollection of exactly what happened.

To start with, you state that the bitcoins were sent to 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq82

However, when I look at the blockchain I don't see any transactions sending any bitcoins to that address at all.

It sounds like you have two different wallet identifiers (one that ends in 931ccc and one that ends in 200cfae), but you only know the password for one of them (the one that ends in 931ccc)?  Where did you get the two identifiers from?  Did you have them written down somewhere?  Did you find them in saved logins in your browser?

Typically blockchain.info will email you your wallet identifier when you set up the wallet.  Did you search through your email history to see if you have an old copy of the emails with the identifiers?  Maybe you were struggling to set up the wallet and accidentally created several of them?  Perhaps there's a third identifier in your email history or browser saved logins that you haven't tried yet?

If you used the "Remind me" link in the "I've lost my Wallet ID" at blockchain.info and they sent you 2 identifiers, then they have already confirmed for you that you have 2 wallets associated with your email address.  You probably won't have much luck getting them to confirm for you when those wallets were created.  Also, since the contents of the wallets are encrypted with your password, they won't know whether that address is associated with either wallet.  The only way to determine that will be to guess the correct password to decrypt the wallet and see if the address private key is in there.

PremiumCodeX

Activity: 1204
Merit: 531

Metaverse 👾 Cyberweapons

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 04:02:54 PM

UPDATE

Thank you for responding Premium Code.

Ok so i just made a little headway … I traced my transaction from my localbitcoins account to the address here 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z

That address must be associated with my block chain wallet, but when i log into wallet 2, it shows nothing, which means it must be associated with the other wallet 1, which I never successfully logged into …. so what recourse do I have if any?

Even if that address belongs to your 'wallet 1', you should be able to view it from 'wallet 2' that is associated with 'wallet 1'. So, if the funds are in 'wallet 1' and 'wallet 2' is the watch-only access of 'wallet 1', you must be able to view it from 'wallet 2'. Since you cannot see the funds from 'wallet 2', it means the funds are not in 'wallet 1' therefore I see no reason why you should spend efforts on recovering 'wallet 1'.

Haven't you got two full-access wallets by any chance? You could have two wallets and both full-access wallets could have an own watch-only access so overall you could have 4 accesses. We said that 'wallet 1' was a full access wallet and 'wallet 2' was its watch-only access so there may be another full access wallet 'wallet 3' and its watch-only access 'wallet 4'. Maybe, you confused 'wallet 4' with 'wallet 2' and the funds are in 'wallet 4's full access wallet so 'wallet 3'. The answer may be in your e-mail history since blockchain info always sends you the login ID at new wallet registration.

[TUTORIAL] How to steal $350 000?
Best OS for recovering stolen BTCs.
Visit our FREE Bitcointalk thread.
Rivaderci (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 02:44:56 PM

Thank you for the help.

The correct address was 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z  ... Not "2" at the end, but Z.

I sent 5 and change bitcoin to that address which I associated with a wallet I created on [Suspicious link removed]

Apparently i have 2 wallets on blockchain, which came to my attention when they sent me two different wallet ID's upon recovery request.

Later, when I asked support when the last time the other wallet had been logged into, they said it "not since the day it was created" 

So lets just forget about this wallet that I never accessed to begin with.  We will call this "wallet 2"

Wallet 1 is the wallet to which I know the password.  It is also the wallet that I complained was showing my coins as "watch only" at one point.  Now however, there are no coins showing at all, and no transaction history.

SOOO, the question is, if my coins are still showing in the original address 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z to which I can only assume was associated with the only wallet to which I have ever accessed .... and now that wallet shows no balance and no transaction histroy ...... what the hell couldve happened to those coins?  What is the role that the watch only issue plays in this?  Why would it show 5.3xxx coins as watch only 2 years ago, and now shows 0.000.

I never had a private key, I simply bought the coins on local bitcoins and transferred them to blockchain for reasons I don't remember about 6-10 months after buying them on local bitcoin.

I will send anyone who helps me retrieve my coins, 2 bitcoin for their efforts. 

Thank you for your help!

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 04:03:08 PM

- snip -
The correct address was 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z  ... Not "2" at the end, but Z.
- snip -

Your story still doesn't make a lot of sense.  The fact that you're having such a difficult time getting the story right re-inforces the belief that some of what you did was so long ago that I fear you may not have a clear recollection of exactly what happened.

For example, you say:
- snip -
January 2014, open localbitcoins account and buy bit coins, 3 transactions totaling 7.xxx coins

August, 2015, for security reasons I'm told opening up a block chain account is better, so i do,
- snip -
I transfer my coins from localbitcoin to block chain wallet 2 and they appear, no issues
- snip -

However,
  • The TOTAL amount of bitcoins that were EVER transferred to 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z was only 5.3353 bitcoins (not 7.xxx)
  • The ONLY transaction that was ever confirmed sent to 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z was sent on 2014-08-14 (a year before you even created the wallet)

So your memory is off by an entire year (it was actually 2014 when the transfer happened).

I suspect that the 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z address never existed in that blockchain.info wallet.  Either you got the address from somewhere else and added it to blockchain.info as "watch only", or you requested a new receiving address from blockchain.info and they failed to transmit the private key from your browser to their database.  Typically back in 2014, when they failed to transmit the private key, a warning would show up in the browser, but sometimes people would overlook it.  Perhaps you are one of those people.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:56:27 PM

SOOO, the question is, if my coins are still showing in the original address 1Ld7rHtF62d1HXNFcpgnpMNh47jvkWaq8Z to which I can only assume was associated with the only wallet to which I have ever accessed .... and now that wallet shows no balance and no transaction histroy ...... what the hell couldve happened to those coins?  What is the role that the watch only issue plays in this?  Why would it show 5.3xxx coins as watch only 2 years ago, and now shows 0.000.

I never had a private key, I simply bought the coins on local bitcoins and transferred them to blockchain for reasons I don't remember about 6-10 months after buying them on local bitcoin.
Thank you for your help!

What wallet that you control has this address?:     1MgsojDJQTfAkDgUkiPZqj1DYfDSFkDdZi

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: