Print  
Author Topic: ~  (Read 8703 times)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:46:09 PM

Guys, I totally messed up. I was hungry, and I didn't have any clean silverware. Taking what I thought to be an empty USB drive, I proceeded to spread peanut butter with it, and jelly (yum - strawberry!) on some bread. But then the dog started barking and totally distracted me. I turned around, and much to my dismay the dang beast leaped up and snatched my USB-knife out of my hands!

There he was, snarfing down my USB drive, when I realized... oh no... my WALLET WAS ON IT.

So, I tried to reach down his throat but it was no good. He didn't like me doing that, and clamped down pretty hard on my hand. I think I broke something too, because I heard a snap. Or maybe that was the USB key case cracking in my dogs throat, I'm not sure. So, I put things away while bleeding copiously everywhere, and sat down clutching a soaked dish-rag as a bandage to check on my wallet backups.

Well, wouldn't you know it, my dog had some kind of coughing fit and BAM, the key flew out of his mouth, into my eye!! Now I'm screaming a lot and the neighbors are starting to shout at me to knock it off, but I can only see out of one eye here - and goddamn does it sting! Stupid dog!

Now I realize I'm losing too much blood, and I think I might be close to shorting out my laptop. The dog is barking, the USB drive is lying somewhere in the room covered in dog drool and bile, perhaps unrecoverable, and my vision is starting to turn into a tunnel of blackness....

fjda4ebnjf.,bmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:48:17 PM

Guys, I totally messed up. I was hungry, and I didn't have any clean silverware. Taking what I thought to be an empty USB drive, I proceeded to spread peanut butter with it, and jelly (yum - strawberry!) on some bread. But then the dog started barking and totally distracted me. I turned around, and much to my dismay the dang beast leaped up and snatched my USB-knife out of my hands!

There he was, snarfing down my USB drive, when I realized... oh no... my WALLET WAS ON IT.

So, I tried to reach down his throat but it was no good. He didn't like me doing that, and clamped down pretty hard on my hand. I think I broke something too, because I heard a snap. Or maybe that was the USB key case cracking in my dogs throat, I'm not sure. So, I put things away while bleeding copiously everywhere, and sat down clutching a soaked dish-rag as a bandage to check on my wallet backups.

Well, wouldn't you know it, my dog had some kind of coughing fit and BAM, the key flew out of his mouth, into my eye!! Now I'm screaming a lot and the neighbors are starting to shout at me to knock it off, but I can only see out of one eye here - and goddamn does it sting! Stupid dog!

Now I realize I'm losing too much blood, and I think I might be close to shorting out my laptop. The dog is barking, the USB drive is lying somewhere in the room covered in dog drool and bile, perhaps unrecoverable, and my vision is starting to turn into a tunnel of blackness....

fjda4ebnjf.,bmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

You should have encrypted and backed up your eye. Your fault. It's a free market, tough luck.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 09:50:40 PM

Almost as good as the Voldemort story... Which only wins because it's true.  Cheesy

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:41:31 AM

I never delete any wallet, not even empty/test wallets.

+1

• 'Empty' wallets might contain value lower than 0.01, eg 0.00154842 btc.
  • 'Empty' wallets might contain value much higher than 0.01, if they are somehow corrupt and not reporting the correct balance.
  • 'Empty' wallets might contain an address than has been made public (i.e. a donation address) that might receive unexpected funds one day.
  • It's easy to move all your unused wallets to an encrypted archive instead. Mark them by the date they were archived or something.

asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:29:09 AM

Linux shred does not work on file level. That's a prehistoric tool. Stop using the filesystem with the wallets on it immediately. Scan the whole partition for wallet-like patterns after that.

Yeah, I read somewhere that shred doesn't even work on modern (journal-based?) filesystems such as ntfs and ext3. Writes are done on fresh blocks, leaving the original intact until some other write operation overwrites it. which is why you should stop using the disk immediately.

Your wallet should still be on the disk. Good luck finding it, though it is doable.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 12:38:58 AM

yes! btc recovered.

thanks makomk:
forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

How appropriate that the BTC resurrection is celebrated with a thread resurrection.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:53:06 AM

The shred command is a lie? It doesn't obliterate data?
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 01:00:06 AM

The shred command is a lie? It doesn't obliterate data?

As far as I gather, if it ever ended up in the page file, or if there was ever a backup copy that wasn't shredded, then you can recover it.

One of the reasons I'm interested to see exactly how secure the client side wallet encryption for Bitcoin is going to be.

^_^
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:07:01 PM

If you consider the chances of hardware failure, data corruption, user mistakes, and the fact that the wallet use to be hidden somewhere in the system partition (at least make a portable client, so you know where your wallet is!), I think they are biggest threats than viruses.

I did setup a redundant automatic encrypted backup of my wallets in the cloud (on several accounts on live and gmail space) using Cobian backup and Gladinet cloud desktop (both freeware) and I would recommend to anyone to do s.t. like that.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

yes! btc recovered.

thanks makomk:
forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

Congratulations! Slightly surprising that worked, but I guess shred really isn't an 100% reliable way of deleting files these days. Most of the warnings in the shred manpage refer to setups that aren't actually very common...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: