Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:08:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help - Looking for 240v Power Surge Protection  (Read 1401 times)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:46:58 AM

So bascially those whole house surge protectors that they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot aren't worth the money that you would spend on them because they only protect the breaker/fuse box? Because nothing is protected unless the device you are protecting is plugged directly into the protector?  I'm not an electrician, but I would think that it adds another layer of protection.  Am I wrong?

To sum it all up ... No whole house surge protection is necessary, but you should use a PDU between the outlet and your miner, because the PDU will protect the miner directly?  Is that what you are saying?  I still don't completely understand why having both a pdu for your rigs and whole house surge protection isn't the optimal solution.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westom

Activity: 61
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:57:53 AM

So bascially those whole house surge protectors that they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot aren't worth the money that you would spend on them because they only protect the breaker/fuse box?
It cannot protect a breaker/fuse box.  It is too close.  Best protection (ie found in every Telco switching center) is up to 50 meters distant from electronics.  Separation increases protection (as defined by a concept called impedance).

A scam is easy to promote.  If a protector is adjacent, then it is effective.  Reality.  A protector too close to appliances and too far from earth ground is least (ineffective) protection.  It can even compromise what is better protection already inside every appliance.

By dismissing what was only speculation, now reread why a properly earthed solution is effective.  Why protectors do not do protection.  And why a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  Only then does one have an answer to this question.  Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate?
gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:58:18 AM

Your power supplies should be all the protection you ever need. I would hope with that many rigs you are running quality PSUs and not some ATX garbage to power them. I have managed multi-megawatt facilities and surge protection was never even brought up as an issue even on unregulated power.

Hereeeeeeeeeeeee comes OVERKILL. Lol ... Are you insane dude?  You may be a genius level electrical engineer, but you know absolutely nothing about risk vs. cost effectiveness analysis for small scale operations.  Surge protection is a huge concern for electronics in the typical home environment.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
westom

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:03:58 AM

Surge protection is a huge concern for electronics in the typical home environment.
If true, we are all reading numbers in your post.  How many surge damaged appliances have you replaced this week or year?  No just appliances that failed.  You also identified what was damaged inside and what the current path of that surge was.  We did that even decades ago.  Which is why this post bluntly confronts so many only educated by hearsay, advertising, wild speculation, assumptions, no electrical knowledge, and junk science reasoning.

Why are you not replacing clocks, dishwasher, smoke detectors, garage door opener, furnace, and GFCIs daily?  You must if logic has validity.  A completely different reality exists once we include layman simple facts such as specification numbers.  Your concern is for an anomally that might occur once every seven years.  Because all those appliances already have robust protection (and no internal protector parts).

gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:10:40 AM

So bascially those whole house surge protectors that they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot aren't worth the money that you would spend on them because they only protect the breaker/fuse box?
It cannot protect a breaker/fuse box.  It is too close.  Best protection (ie found in every Telco switching center) is up to 50 meters distant from electronics.  Separation increases protection (as defined by a concept called impedance).

A scam is easy to promote.  If a protector is adjacent, then it is effective.  Reality.  A protector too close to appliances and too far from earth ground is least (ineffective) protection.  It can even compromise what is better protection already inside every appliance.

By dismissing what was only speculation, now reread why a properly earthed solution is effective.  Why protectors do not do protection.  And why a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  Only then does one have an answer to this question.  Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate?

I think I understand ... A whole house surge protector cannot protect a fuse/breaker box because it's too close to it's earth ground?  I mean, mine is in my garage on the first floor of my house, so it's approx 5 feet from ground earth.  

But a whole house surge protector is far away from my miners on the second floor, so it would provide better protection to my electronics than a PDU, due to distance from earth ground?

gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:15:31 AM

I think I understand ... A whole house surge protector cannot protect a fuse/breaker box because it's too close to it's earth ground?  I mean, mine is in my garage on the first floor of my house, so it's approx 5 feet from ground earth.  

But a whole house surge protector is far away from my miners on the second floor, so it would provide better protection to my electronics than a PDU, due to distance from earth ground?

I'm still trying to understand.  Now you're saying that no additional protection is necessary?  Everything should have the proper protection built in with the exception of protection against an anomaly which may happen every seven years?

gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:27:21 AM

I mean, for fucks sake ... I told you earlier that I'm not an electrician.  I just want an explanation in a couple of paragraphs that a normal person can understand.  I realize that you have a very high level of knowledge on the subject, but you didn't always have that high level of knowledge.  You started somewhere, so speak as if you were teaching someone with a basic level of knowledge.

westom

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:01:46 AM

I mean, for fucks sake ... I told you earlier that I'm not an electrician. 
Apparently you want to be brainwashed.  Soundbyte answers are for brainwashing.  High school graduates are supposed to know better.

Required is basic electrical knowledge as learned by high school graduates.  You are expected to remember science concepts such as what Ben Franklin demonstrated over 250 years ago.  And what was taught about electricity in elementary school science.

Numbers require more knowledge.  Joules requires high school science.

Nothing new is understood until after three or more rereads.   Apparently you only read once - and then entertain anger.

Obviously said a 'whole house' solution is best protection. Apparently you want to argue rather than read.  That best solution also costs tens of times less - about $1 per protected appliance  What makes an protector effective?  That low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to earth.  One need not be an electrician to understand 10 feet.  That does not mean 5 pairs of shoes. But those who post profanity often have comprehension problems.  Read without that emotion and profanity.

Everything has been explained. Nobody is going to spoon feed you.  Keep rereading until you finally get it.
gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:31:36 AM

I mean, for fucks sake ... I told you earlier that I'm not an electrician. 
Apparently you want to be brainwashed.  Soundbyte answers are for brainwashing.  High school graduates are supposed to know better.

Required is basic electrical knowledge as learned by high school graduates.  You are expected to remember science concepts such as what Ben Franklin demonstrated over 250 years ago.  And what was taught about electricity in elementary school science.

Numbers require more knowledge.  Joules requires high school science.

Nothing new is understood until after three or more rereads.   Apparently you only read once - and then entertain anger.

Obviously said a 'whole house' solution is best protection. Apparently you want to argue rather than read.  That best solution also costs tens of times less - about $1 per protected appliance  What makes an protector effective?  That low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to earth.  One need not be an electrician to understand 10 feet.  That does not mean 5 pairs of shoes. But those who post profanity often have comprehension problems.  Read without that emotion and profanity.

Everything has been explained. Nobody is going to spoon feed you.  Keep rereading until you finally get it.

I was never angry.  I just like to say fuck in pretty much every other sentence that I type.  I love the word fuck.  Sorry for your inconvenience.  You are just misleading in your wording.  First you say one thing, but it doesn't apply to another.  That is the confusing part and that is what will make someone angry.  And I did re-read your thesis statement, but it was at such a high level, I didn't understand it the first few times.  Most people with a high level of knowledge in anything are mentally retarded in a legal aspect.

Ten feet is nothing!  50 meters is a lot!  Be clear (on the subject) and move on, unless you enjoy acting retarded. 

I think you've pretty much wasted alot of our time here.  Didn't need a super-micro or super-macro analysis on the subject.

gotminer

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 11:36:40 PM

I think I understand now.  Correct me, if I'm wrong ... I know you will ... Lol.  My confusion was in two places, I believe.  Firstly, I thought you were advocating pdu's and after re-reading a couple of times, I don't think that you are.  The other thing that was confusing me was the 50 meter figure.  

Am I correct in assuming that a properly installed whole house protector should be grounded to earth, not a safety ground, and less than 10 feet from ground earth to be effective?  But this is not protecting the breaker box, because it is too close?  

The whole house protector is protecting the devices due to the adjacent distance (ie, your 50 meter figure in the telecom center example)?  

And then on to PDU's ... I'm not completely clear on what you are saying about them, but I think you are saying that they have no connection to ground earth, which I think causes them to be ineffective protectors of the devices that are plugged into them?  And that one that only protects against a surge of 580 joules, isn't really even necessary, because the built in protection to modern electronic devices has no problem protecting the device from 600 joule surges all day long?

I'm not sure why I am having such a difficult time understand this, but at least part of it seems to be coming together for me now.  If I'm still way off, tell me that I'm an idiot, so I can continue trying to figure this out. Smiley

westom

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:48:55 PM

Surge electrical current will take a lowest impedance (not low resistance) path to earth.  That path starts in a cloud (three miles up) and connects to earthborne charges (maybe four miles distant).   If that path remains outside, then all appliances are protected.

To keep that current outside, a connection from an incoming path (ie AC electric wire) must be as low impedance as possible to earth.  But that impedance can never be low enough.

50 meter separation means a higher impedance between protector and appliance.  Higher impedance created by separation means another and lower impedance connection to earth is a better path.  IOW protection increases due to higher impedance when a path from incoming AC electric wire and properly earthed protector has many times lower impedance on a less than 10 foot connection to earth.

Protection is always about this conductivity. When a best connection to those charges (four miles away) is a low impedance connection to earth, then almost no current need fight through high impedance on a 50 meter wire.  Then that current need not be inside.

That is conductivity.  Another relevant factor is equipotential.  Equipotential is why only one earth ground (single point earth ground) must exist.  Since we cannot make sufficient conductivity, then improve equipotential.  Since we cannot make sufficient equipotential, then better conductivity is required.

Best protection for cable TV is a hardwire connecting low impedance from cable to earth ground.  No protector is required.  Telephone wires cannot connect directly to earth.  So your telco installs a 'whole house' protector, for free.  That protector is only doing what the hardwire does better.  Effective protector does not do protection.  Effective protector is a connecting device to what does protection - earth ground.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

What sometimes makes it so difficult to grasp are the many erroneous concepts that promote plug-in protectors.  Those are sold as if a protector does protection.  The concept is difficult to unlearn.  Protection is not about the box.  The box is only a connecting device.  Protection is something not sold in stores - earth ground.  Unlearning what advertising promotes can be hard.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: