Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:39:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Text based Encryption (e.g. Bible Encryption)  (Read 493 times)
P4trick (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 03:48:37 PM

Hello guys,

I just tought about a kind of text based encryption.
There is already a so called Bible Encryption that can encrypt full words.

http://www.wikihow.com/Encode-and-Decode-Using-a-Bible-Cipher

This is not so hard to do and it's even possible to realize it with a program.

But what if I want to encrypt single letters instead of words?
I could do it the same way and simply add the place of the letter in a word.
So we can also encrypt an alphnumeric string to some number and all of this togehter to a hexadecimal number, can't we? Smiley

With this strategy it would be simply possible to write a program to generate a "random" text which could be used for encrypting any alphanumerical string. Concerning the bible there is maybe a problem with alphanumerical number so you would have to use outwritten numbers as normal numbers...

Is that at all a good idea... such a text based encryption, what do you think? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JGoRed

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 02:41:27 AM

I do like using cipher instead of encryption whenever I'm trying to encode data that I'm writing or printing (imagine trying to write down and then type up PGP). I usually use Playfair Cypher instead, although it really isn't to different.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2017, 06:39:57 AM

Hello guys,

So we can also encrypt an alphnumeric string to some number and all of this togehter to a hexadecimal number, can't we? Smiley

Sure.

With this strategy it would be simply possible to write a program to generate a "random" text which could be used for encrypting any alphanumerical string.

Sounds like one time pad, assuming you mean actual random data and not a text. Using a text would make this just another substitution cipher.

Concerning the bible there is maybe a problem with alphanumerical number so you would have to use outwritten numbers as normal numbers...

Is that at all a good idea... such a text based encryption, what do you think? Smiley

No, its vulnerable to probability analysis. Might be enough for some games though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
P4trick (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 12:52:33 PM

Hello guys,

Sure.

With this strategy it would be simply possible to write a program to generate a "random" text which could be used for encrypting any alphanumerical string.

Sounds like one time pad, assuming you mean actual random data and not a text. Using a text would make this just another substitution cipher.

Concerning the bible there is maybe a problem with alphanumerical number so you would have to use outwritten numbers as normal numbers...

No, its vulnerable to probability analysis. Might be enough for some games though.

Can you explain more precise how it's vulnerable to probabilty analysis? Smiley

-> Maybe this problem could be solved by using a total random bunch of alphanumerical letters...

I know it's theoretically impossible to generate true "random" numbers or letters but  I guess it's possible to generate some "random" number or sth. like this and convert it into alphanumerical strings. Smiley
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:19:21 PM

Google caesar cipher.
I have posted code here before for a key system to protect an app etc.
I had to choose the static letters though.
What is true randomness and how would you reverse the process to un-encrypt stuff if it was random ?
I might be missing something but if you chose a random chunk of letters for a caeser cipher then i don't know how you'd unencrypt it again.

Google search Hitler Enigma machine too that is another example..

FUD first & ask questions later™
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 06:18:01 PM

Google caesar cipher.
I have posted code here before for a key system to protect an app etc.
I had to choose the static letters though.
What is true randomness and how would you reverse the process to un-encrypt stuff if it was random ?
I might be missing something but if you chose a random chunk of letters for a caeser cipher then i don't know how you'd unencrypt it again.

Google search Hitler Enigma machine too that is another example..

Like you do with one time pad. XOR the random data with the plaintext to encrypt XOR again to decrypt.[1] Since the key is (truely) random, the encrypted data is indistinguishable from randomness. IIRC its the only method that is provably uncrackable. It comes with a lot of downsides though, since you need to securly store a key the same length as the data.

[1] or using ceasar: shift by mod 13 <random stuff>

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: