Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:22:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: if you like Core's quality but BU's emergent consensus for bigger blocks  (Read 635 times)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:34:36 PM

...then there's this:

https://bitcoinec.info/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pixie85

Activity: 2128
Merit: 524

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:42:38 PM

And the era of 10 new update ideas for Bitcoin every week has begun. Grin Do we really need all that?

If we really have to update I think a small patch like this one is much better than a big one like BU. BU will never get full support, but a small patch might.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:48:20 PM

And the era of 10 new update ideas for Bitcoin every week has begun. Grin Do we really need all that?

If we really have to update I think a small patch like this one is much better than a big one like BU. BU will never get full support, but a small patch might.

It really is the best of both worlds -- the stability of the Core code and the flexibility of bigger blocks.
Heck, it even supports segwit, what more do you want?

The only people who won't like this are the hardline small blockers and the hardcore Blockstream/Core centralists.

AngryDwarf

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:51:53 PM

...then there's this:

Posted about that in another thread. First issue thought was, this makes the 2 tier (backwards compatibility) network redundant code. Segwit as a hard fork, 1:1 weight, and emergent consensus block sizes I don't think I would have any issue with.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:54:04 PM

i didn't follow you... network redundant ..come again?

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:58:16 PM

The only people who won't like this are the hardline small blockers and the hardcore Blockstream/Core centralists.

Don't forget the people who think Emergent Chaos is complete garbage.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
AngryDwarf

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 09:59:48 PM

Segwit as a soft fork implements a 2 tier network system, where the old nodes are filtered with compatible 1MB blocks, and the upper tier knows all about the segwit data. Simply forking 0.14 to create bitcoinEC leaves all that redundant network code in, as the EC mechanism requires a hard fork, so then you might as well implement segwit as a hard fork and get rid of all the technical debt associated with the 2 tier backwards compatibility network.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 10:08:22 PM

Segwit as a soft fork implements a 2 tier network system, where the old nodes are filtered with compatible 1MB blocks, and the upper tier knows all about the segwit data. Simply forking 0.14 to create bitcoinEC leaves all that redundant network code in, as the EC mechanism requires a hard fork, so then you might as well implement segwit as a hard fork and get rid of all the technical debt associated with the 2 tier backwards compatibility network.

yes isnt that what are doing -- the whole thing would be a HF?

@Holliday:  I wasn't aware there are people like that , that aren't already part of one of the other groups I mentioned (like yourself).   But I'm sure there are a few.   Nobody said consensus would be easy I guess.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 10:14:43 PM

jonald, exactly how desperate can you get?

This is the Bitcoin wreckers playbook reaching it's latest re-iteration: coup attempt N fails, begin coup attempt N+1

Your current coup hasn't finished jonald, don't you remember? (or has it....  Cheesy)

Vires in numeris
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 10:27:31 PM

@Holliday:  I wasn't aware there are people like that , that aren't already part of one of the other groups I mentioned (like yourself).   But I'm sure there are a few.   Nobody said consensus would be easy I guess.

If you read r/btc you will quickly find that there are lots of people who support a simple larger block size (therefore not Core) but are quite opposed to Emergent Chaos due to the insane amount of complexity it adds or the fact that it hands the miners even more control over the network.

Which group did you think I am in, exactly?

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
AngryDwarf

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 10:31:14 PM

Will you also have an AD(Accept Depth) parameter like Bitcoin Unlimited?

Instead of Accept Depth we will implement a warning system to alert users if they are not on the longest chain. Implementing AD in the way BU has done appears to be fairly complicated and hard to do correctly, a warning system is simple since we only need the block headers for that.

Why bother with these user warnings, users are only interesting in following the longest chain anyway.

I agree, Acceptance Depth is not Keep It Simple Stupid. So just remove the original 1 MB anti-spam measure and allow miners to increase blocksizes with the -blockmaxsize parameter to adjust to real world demand just as they used to before the 1MB limit was reached.

But then I won't be able to install a full node on my mobile phone.  Roll Eyes

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2017, 10:59:27 PM

...then there's this:

I've already posted a link to this proposal. However, it looks like the code for it is just not ready yet. Wouldn't this be a *compromise* for those that think Segwit is great, but prefer a 'block size increase'?

-snip-
Your current coup hasn't finished jonald, don't you remember? (or has it....  Cheesy)
I guess this would be better than a certain 'mr. Emperor' not signalling/running Segwit at all.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 11:08:47 PM

...then there's this:

Looks like an interesting solution, I want to take some time to go through more of the page and read up on the entirety of the project, but overall it seems like they have a relatively decent idea of what they're doing.

I have no idea if I would mean anything even if I backed them and talked about it, but this might be worth bringing up again in block size debates.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 12:36:50 AM

I've already posted a link to this proposal. However, it looks like the code for it is just not ready yet. Wouldn't this be a *compromise* for those that think Segwit is great, but prefer a 'block size increase'?

I suppose it would be.

It would be a compromise for me too though, because I'm not a fan of Segwit.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: