Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:34:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MSI z270 MB for +7 GPU's  (Read 13205 times)
Etherion (OP)

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 02:21:57 PM

Has any tried any of the following MB from MSI?

Z270-A PRO
Z270 GAMING M7
Z270 GAMING M5
Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
Z270 KRAIT GAMING
Z270 SLI PLUS
Z270 SLI
Z270 GAMING PRO

Most of them has 6 PCI-E ports and some has 2 M.2 ports.

I want to build a 8 GPU rig using RX470 but so far I am stuck on 7 GPU with old 1150 MB.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Etherion (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 02:22:40 PM

a M.2 to PCI-E adpator can take this up to 8
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 02:36:03 PM

when using 8 or more gpu rigs, do you split psus? Lets say I've 8 Rx 480, But my psu has only 6 gpu connectors. Each cable has two gpu plugs but one of plugs is 6pin. How do you handle this?
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 04:58:59 PM

Can someone please post a link to the adapter?
Etherion (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 06:25:57 PM

Can someone please post a link to the adapter?

http://r.ebay.com/3uI7Wv
Etherion (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 06:26:21 PM

Has any one had any success with this type of motherboard and a adapter for 8 GPU?
Etherion (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 06:28:29 PM

when using 8 or more gpu rigs, do you split psus? Lets say I've 8 Rx 480, But my psu has only 6 gpu connectors. Each cable has two gpu plugs but one of plugs is 6pin. How do you handle this?

Yes but you can use 2 +750w which is alot cheaper than one big monster psu. They is if you run 8 RX470 4g
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 06:29:57 PM

Yes but you can use 2 +750w which is alot cheaper than one big monster psu. They is if you run 8 RX470 4g

Yeah ... good luck running 8 GPU's on one motherboard.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
kemo6600

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 09:28:41 PM

If you are considering running dual PSU it might be cheaper to run two systems each with 4 GPUs, you can easily score two used H61 motherboard + CPU + ram combo cheaper than 270 MB.

I haven't seen any success stories running 8 GPUs unless some people with modded gear and none shared the solution
Lagniappe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 04:23:35 PM

There are folks running 9-10 card rigs, with undervolted cards, but you just don't hear about it nor see DIY threads because they have the difficulty in mind.
deadsix

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 06:08:26 PM

There are folks running 9-10 card rigs, with undervolted cards, but you just don't hear about it nor see DIY threads because they have the difficulty in mind.

So if you don't see or hear about them, how do you know they exist? Did you dream them up?

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Lagniappe

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 06:48:39 PM

So if you don't see or hear about them, how do you know they exist? Did you dream them up?

One has to assume that every successful setup isn't  shared on the site. You don't agree? 

bel123

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 06:50:04 PM

Has any tried any of the following MB from MSI?

Z270-A PRO
Z270 GAMING M7
Z270 GAMING M5
Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
Z270 KRAIT GAMING
Z270 SLI PLUS
Z270 SLI
Z270 GAMING PRO

Most of them has 6 PCI-E ports and some has 2 M.2 ports.

I want to build a 8 GPU rig using RX470 but so far I am stuck on 7 GPU with old 1150 MB.

what MB do you use for 7 gpu?
deadsix

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 07:01:13 PM

One has to assume that every successful setup isn't  shared on the site. You don't agree? 

This community has been very open about sharing most of their trade secrets even, so I wouldn't agree.
8 card rigs exist, but only 2-3 people have the skills needed to make them, and even they have let the cat out of the bag on several occassions, you can run 8 cards on linux with minor tweaks.
I have not, in my year and a half on these forums, heard of a 10 card rig, so its too well kept a secret to be possible.
I did read that someone managed to get 10 cards detected in Linux a couple of days ago but that was a noob account and he hasnt shared any image or proof, so I do not trust that information yet.

Some enterprising members like Jstenfanop are developing 8 card modules that can be added in pairs to run a total of 16 cards off of essentially one system, but that's specialized hardware, and its still in production.

Lagniappe

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 07:08:30 PM

One has to assume that every successful setup isn't  shared on the site. You don't agree?  

This community has been very open about sharing most of their trade secrets even, so I wouldn't agree.
8 card rigs exist, but only 2-3 people have the skills needed to make them, and even they have let the cat out of the bag on several occassions, you can run 8 cards on linux with minor tweaks.
I have not, in my year and a half on these forums, heard of a 10 card rig, so its too well kept a secret to be possible.
I did read that someone managed to get 10 cards detected in Linux a couple of days ago but that was a noob account and he hasnt shared any image or proof, so I do not trust that information yet.

Some enterprising members like Jstenfanop are developing 8 card modules that can be added in pairs to run a total of 16 cards off of essentially one system, but that's specialized hardware, and its still in production.

Well, I suppose we must agree to disagree then! See, I believe that it's negative to freely share the best ideas, if they directly deteriorate earnings. It's a positive thing for the crypto community, to be 'secretive', to an extent. Otherwise, difficulty will be ruined too quickly; it is definitely a positive, and I appreciate the secrecy. I don't mind finding out the hard way, story of my life.

PS

Do you happen to know which Linux tweaks those are, I'm kinda creating a huge searchable file of stuff to go through when I hit brick walls.

Best,
Norman
deadsix

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 07:27:06 PM

Well, I suppose we must agree to disagree then! See, I believe that it's negative to freely share the best ideas, if they directly deteriorate earnings. It's a positive thing for the crypto community, to be 'secretive', to an extent. Otherwise, difficulty will be ruined too quickly; it is definitely a positive, and I appreciate the secrecy. I don't mind finding out the hard way, story of my life.
Are you confusing individuals being secretive with a community being secretive? As already stated, this community isn't secretive at all, infact all new innovation in software spreads like wildfire, and most do directly impact earnings.
Do you happen to know which Linux tweaks those are, I'm kinda creating a huge searchable file of stuff to go through when I hit brick walls.
Well, seeing as you don't mind fining out the hard way ...

Lagniappe

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 07:53:46 PM

Are you confusing individuals being secretive with a community being secretive? As already stated, this community isn't secretive at all, infact all new innovation in software spreads like wildfire, and most do directly impact earnings.
Well, seeing as you don't mind fining out the hard way ...

All done? :-)

Etherion (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 08:21:10 PM

This M.2 to PCI-e adapter is a scam http://r.ebay.com/3uI7Wv

Don't even work with one gpu in the system. They gave me a 50% refund.
HandyHan

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:55:50 PM

I have 4 GPUs running on Z270 GAMING M5.  When I add the 5th GPU I get resource errors and only 2 cards are active.  Haven't figured out the resource issue yet
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 11:38:31 AM

I have 4 GPUs running on Z270 GAMING M5.  When I add the 5th GPU I get resource errors and only 2 cards are active.  Haven't figured out the resource issue yet

Are you still experiencing same problems? Have you tried contacting MSI Support?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: