Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:45:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for broken laptops/laptop parts (Canada)  (Read 1396 times)
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 02:58:05 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2017, 05:47:12 PM by Chris!

I've recently become very interested in fixing laptops as a hobby and anything that can't be fixed I try to use in some other way. I've got a few on the go right now but to be honest I'm pretty much out of projects and looking for something to do.

My budget on this is basically nil as it's just a hobby (for now...?) but if you have something kicking around let's make a mutually beneficial deal.

What I'm interested in:

Working mSATA, SATA, SATA II, SATA III hard drives or SSDs
DDR2, DDR3 RAM
Laptops with ports not working (ex. HDMI, USB, AC)
Laptops with dead/broken screens
Laptops with no screens

Do you have something else that I didn't list? Let me know and we'll see if its something I'm interested in.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 09:17:04 PM

how old of stuff are you interested in? I think I've a couple ancient laptops(95/xp/me) I could strip down and send you.

I've also a couple pieces of ram as well.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:34:13 PM

how old of stuff are you interested in? I think I've a couple ancient laptops(95/xp/me) I could strip down and send you.

I guess I should have clarified, probably nothing that old because I'm trying to fix laptops from oh, 2008-2014 range. I had an ancient 2002 Dell Inspiron 2600 that I stripped down and I literally couldn't use a single part. I ended up just popping open the dead hard drive to play with the innards. It had a PATA hard drive, the ram was sooo ancient that it was unusable (128MB either in each stick or 56MB each. I didn't bother looking too hard into it) and a good old floppy disk drive. I guess what I'd be looking for would be new enough laptop parts that I could use them in modern laptops. SATA hard drives, small SATA SSDs or mSATA SSDs DDR3 RAM, that kind of stuff. I'm very new to this so I don't exactly know for sure what I'm looking for, but probably nothing that ancient.
isoneguy

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:48:03 PM

I have 2x hynix 1gb 1rx16 pc3-10600s-9-10-c1 (laptop ram)

You can have for shipping cost + a small BTC donation for my time.

Also have a sata laptop drive(120gb maybe?) that I might be willing to part with.

Figure out your budget...maybe I can find more parts...had a couple old laptops laying around I'll go look for em.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:53:35 PM

I have 2x hynix 1gb 1rx16 pc3-10600s-9-10-c1 (laptop ram)

You can have for shipping cost + a small BTC donation for my time.

Also have a sata laptop drive(120gb maybe?) that I might be willing to part with.

Figure out your budget...maybe I can find more parts...had a couple old laptops laying around I'll go look for em.

I'm interested. Are you in the US? We'll see what shipping will be, but I'm assuming this could work out well for both of us. Let's see what other goodies you have lying around first though Smiley
yifeichongtian

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:03:33 AM

In fact, this hobby is correct.
adroitful_one
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1041

1GhxHtabWhEpdb7e7oEJ2vd542n33BwTHR

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 02:57:23 AM

I guess I should have clarified, probably nothing that old because I'm trying to fix laptops from oh, 2008-2014 range. I had an ancient 2002 Dell Inspiron 2600 that I stripped down and I literally couldn't use a single part. I ended up just popping open the dead hard drive to play with the innards. It had a PATA hard drive, the ram was sooo ancient that it was unusable (128MB either in each stick or 56MB each. I didn't bother looking too hard into it) and a good old floppy disk drive. I guess what I'd be looking for would be new enough laptop parts that I could use them in modern laptops. SATA hard drives, small SATA SSDs or mSATA SSDs DDR3 RAM, that kind of stuff. I'm very new to this so I don't exactly know for sure what I'm looking for, but probably nothing that ancient.

I've probably got a bit of what you need. Not sure what all, will have to look around and see what I got. Don't forget when a hard drive fails, at least take it apart and get the magnets out of it. Neodymium magnets are worth a couple bucks each. Not to mention that they're nice to have! Also, I am searching for some cheap laptop batteries if any of you have any laying around. Working on a pack for a camper I got. Maybe we can work on a trade if you get some batteries?
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 03:32:37 AM

I have a very large amount of laptops, parts, and such at the shop.  I am in the Charlotte NC area though.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:50:24 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2017, 01:07:47 PM by Chris!

I've probably got a bit of what you need. Not sure what all, will have to look around and see what I got. Don't forget when a hard drive fails, at least take it apart and get the magnets out of it. Neodymium magnets are worth a couple bucks each. Not to mention that they're nice to have! Also, I am searching for some cheap laptop batteries if any of you have any laying around. Working on a pack for a camper I got. Maybe we can work on a trade if you get some batteries?

Haha I use all the parts I can to make little nifty things around my desk. The magnets come in handy for sorting screws. I do have a laptop battery from that old Dell 2600 I was talking about, I just don't know if it can hold a charge or if you need a weird square laptop battery from 2002 hahaha. If you do I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping (which knowing Canada Post it will probably be atrocious).

Let me know if you know of a way for me to test the charge as I don't have the charger and don't have the slightest clue how else to figure it out. I also stole the little rubber foot off of it. It was a hair too big for an acer laptop I had that was missing two feet but a little snip here and there and you can't tell the difference! I'm almost 100% certain you don't care about the little rubber foot though.

I have a very large amount of laptops, parts, and such at the shop.  I am in the Charlotte NC area though.

Well if you have anything that you're looking to get rid of for a small donation let me know. (AKA: If you have 16GB DDR4 RAM Modules I can't afford them unless you'll take a nice shiny bit-cent Wink)
helipotte

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 01:19:13 AM

I have tons of stuff I can part with.  Most of the stuff I have is Core 2 and early I3/5/7 series stuff.  Got lots of ddr2 and ddr3 memory.  Most of this stuff our recycler just hauls off for about 1$ a pound.  They usually pay about $10 to $20 for complete laptops that post (no HDD).  Example would be a later core 2 (2009) that works.  Newer units are a little more but still not much.  I also have AMD laptops and "halftops" laptops with no lid or screen that work connected to an external monitor.
isoneguy

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 01:34:59 AM

I have tons of stuff I can part with.  Most of the stuff I have is Core 2 and early I3/5/7 series stuff.  Got lots of ddr2 and ddr3 memory.  Most of this stuff our recycler just hauls off for about 1$ a pound.  They usually pay about $10 to $20 for complete laptops that post (no HDD).  Example would be a later core 2 (2009) that works.  Newer units are a little more but still not much.  I also have AMD laptops and "halftops" laptops with no lid or screen that work connected to an external monitor.

shivers with excitement

helipotte...maybe you should send me "junk" desktop stuff if you have it.

Anything you can fit in flatrate boxes core2 gen and up ram, mobo's whatever.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 01:50:44 AM

I have tons of stuff I can part with.  Most of the stuff I have is Core 2 and early I3/5/7 series stuff.  Got lots of ddr2 and ddr3 memory.  Most of this stuff our recycler just hauls off for about 1$ a pound.  They usually pay about $10 to $20 for complete laptops that post (no HDD).  Example would be a later core 2 (2009) that works.  Newer units are a little more but still not much.  I also have AMD laptops and "halftops" laptops with no lid or screen that work connected to an external monitor.

Shocked $1 a pound sounds good  Wink do you have a little lost of your inventory or should I ask for something specific?
helipotte

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 02:33:35 AM

Shocked $1 a pound sounds good  Wink do you have a little lost of your inventory or should I ask for something specific?

If you have something in mind you want, I can look during the week.  I have alot of stuff and it comes in and goes out quickly so I don't keep a list.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 03:14:31 AM

If you have something in mind you want, I can look during the week.  I have alot of stuff and it comes in and goes out quickly so I don't keep a list.

When you say early generations of i3/5/7 is that the first 2 or 3 generations or what do you consider early? Halftops sound good to me, I'd probably be interested in some i5 or i7s and if you've got some 1GB+ DDR3 RAM that you're just looking to recycle I'll take that too! Shipping will probably be where this gets tricky.

If you have newer (last 3 or 4 years) i7s that boot to BIOS I'm looking for one for my own computer to tinker with too.

I could use small SSDs if you come across 16, 20, 24, 32gb or bigger SSDs of course. If that's not something you typically get rid of then no problem. Make/model/age doesn't matter as long as they work. ODD caddies for secondary drives would be cool too but idk how common they are. I have 1 12.7mm one but could use more and / or 9.5mm.

Any i5/i7 laptop with an extra PCIE port would be handy to tinker with.

I'll post more if I think of something else I'd be looking for.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 03:38:00 PM

Turns out I could use some DDR2 ram too. I guess these Toshiba Satellite laptops I'm looking at now are a little older than I initially thought. If anyone has some 2GB modules I'm interested in those. Maybe just 1-4 of them (for now). DDR3 RAM will always come in handy and DDR4 is just out of my league at this point haha.
CLE_Maximus

Activity: 380
Merit: 250

I'll sell my soul for a Honda S2000

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 04:39:48 PM

Anything here of interested? All were working pulls from laptops.

imgur.com/a/qTZkh

Thanks!

Maxi
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 05:06:40 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2017, 06:13:37 PM by Chris!

imgur.com/a/qTZkh

Thanks!

Maxi

I'm going to say probably to anything 1GB or higher, the problem is I'm such a noob at this I can't tell if they're DDR2, DDR3 or something else. I see one 512mb is DDR2, so I wouldn't be interested in that, but let me just do a little research on these, see what's what and get back to you!

Edit: the 5 pieces of ram that are 2gb each seem to be DDR3 except the one to the far left which is DDR2, right? I'm interested in the top 5 assuming they're DDR2 and DDR3.
CLE_Maximus

Activity: 380
Merit: 250

I'll sell my soul for a Honda S2000

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 07:08:00 PM

imgur.com/a/qTZkh

Thanks!

Maxi

I'm going to say probably to anything 1GB or higher, the problem is I'm such a noob at this I can't tell if they're DDR2, DDR3 or something else. I see one 512mb is DDR2, so I wouldn't be interested in that, but let me just do a little research on these, see what's what and get back to you!

Edit: the 5 pieces of ram that are 2gb each seem to be DDR3 except the one to the far left which is DDR2, right? I'm interested in the top 5 assuming they're DDR2 and DDR3.

The 4 (top middle+top right) are all ddr3 2GB correct -- the one 2GB stick at the top left is DDR2 (Notice the difference in the pins and where the spacer in the middle is)

PM me what you think is reasonable for whatever you want Smiley
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 12:15:25 PM

Bump!
adroitful_one
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1041

1GhxHtabWhEpdb7e7oEJ2vd542n33BwTHR

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:20:30 AM

Haha I use all the parts I can to make little nifty things around my desk. The magnets come in handy for sorting screws. I do have a laptop battery from that old Dell 2600 I was talking about, I just don't know if it can hold a charge or if you need a weird square laptop battery from 2002 hahaha. If you do I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping (which knowing Canada Post it will probably be atrocious).

Let me know if you know of a way for me to test the charge as I don't have the charger and don't have the slightest clue how else to figure it out. I also stole the little rubber foot off of it. It was a hair too big for an acer laptop I had that was missing two feet but a little snip here and there and you can't tell the difference! I'm almost 100% certain you don't care about the little rubber foot though.

I have a very large amount of laptops, parts, and such at the shop.  I am in the Charlotte NC area though.

Well if you have anything that you're looking to get rid of for a small donation let me know. (AKA: If you have 16GB DDR4 RAM Modules I can't afford them unless you'll take a nice shiny bit-cent Wink)

Yes, those are exactly what I need. Don't really care what the battery looks like. It's the ones inside if it that I need. Unfortunately, I didn't realize you were in Canada. That kinda makes out trading not really worth it.. I have a 17" i3 laptop here I was gonna send out to you. Only thing wrong with it is missing the battery and the power switch it broke. The power switch thing is no big deal as I just jump the + an - wires and it boots lol. Sucks your'e in Canada
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: