Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:17:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scaling is solved tomorrow, what effect on the price and perception?  (Read 870 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:42:07 AM

Bitcoin is of course working as perfectly as ever but I wonder what kind of shot in the arm confirmed scaling would have.

What do you reckon? Do,you think traders, players, VC's,  investors are holding back for this magical moment or its in the back of most minds and they're getting on with day to day bitcoin life?

Would alts falter? Would we see a flourishing of new projects and merchants? Right now how big a factor do you think it is in holding things back? Is it THE factor in the denials of further greatness?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 04:32:05 AM

You need around 5000 TPS to not be a settlement layer if talking about world-wide usage.  So you need something like LN + the ability for it to operate in a decentralized manner.  I'm skeptical of LN working in a decentralized manner myself, plus the base bitcoin network isn't really even decentralized in the first place.  Energy costs on the globe aren't uniform, so the energy arb game was going to centralize bitcoin already, then adding ASICs on top of that kind of doubled up on that oversight to make it worse.  Decentralization might have been acceptable with only the energy arb game at play, but not when combined with the removal of general purpose mining hardware. 

Calling potentially closed loop systems like Ethereum decentralized is a joke, so no altcoins really solve any of these problems.  People are kind of moving forward with side issues without ever having solved the main problems facing bitcoin and decentralization in the first place.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6233

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:12:07 AM

My guess is that if scaling is solved in a reasonable timeframe, then - the important thing for this Speculation forum - very probably the bullish long-term price uptrend would continue. With not much media attention, mainly under the radar, but steady.

I think "scaling solved" would not have much impact on the altcoin world, either. There are basically two altcoin classes: "technical experiments" (like ETH, Sia, Decred, Monero, Iota/Byteball or ARDR) and "speculation vehicles" (>90% of the rest, maybe also Dash). Altcoins of "Technical experiments" class whose USP is a scaling solution like ARDR or Iota would perhaps lose traction, but the rest was never a competition to BTC but a way to make a few bucks, and will continue to be so.

Negative results of the scaling debate (fork, permanent stalemate until 2018) would be a different thing. There could be much media attention - media tend to like negative news more than positive ones - and a disruption regarding the altcoin world - e.g. ETH challenging BTC's first position regarding marketcap.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hector3115

Activity: 481
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 01:03:06 PM

That would be huge.  Scaling has been holding Bitcoin back for years now.  Once this is solved, the next mega bubble happens. 

Alts will get hit hard initially as people move money back to Bitcoin but in the end, the tide of money will raise all boats.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
btcmerich

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:33:33 PM

how is Scaling solved tommorow? more info would be nice
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:38:05 PM

I believe OP is asking the question "what if scaling was solved tomorrow?"

If this happened it would take some time but the price would no doubt have a slow steady increase. 
Right now a lot of Bitcoins price is based on speculation of future user base and increased transaction volume.
So I don't think price would double overnight, but over a couple years you could easily see another 100% or 200% increase in value.

btcmerich

Activity: 339

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 03:39:55 PM

I believe OP is asking the question "what if scaling was solved tomorrow?"

If this happened it would take some time but the price would no doubt have a slow steady increase. 
Right now a lot of Bitcoins price is based on speculation of future user base and increased transaction volume.
So I don't think price would double overnight, but over a couple years you could easily see another 100% or 200% increase in value.

ohhh , right.  sorry, makes sense now.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 04:04:25 PM

I definitely think so. This whole scaling drama has been covering the whole Bitcoin ecosystem with a layer of nasty dust. Each time I see the price go up I am happy to see that, but I directly also think about how sustainable the growth will be from current levels. I seriously don't think we'll come anywhere near $2000 as long as there is no viable long term solution found. I am quite sure that serious investors are holding back exactly because they don't want to get involved in a 'fight' between people's egos and greed. I can't blame them for that. If things go wrong, then they go horribly wrong. In that regard, they better are better off waiting on the side line till things are settled.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 02:09:22 PM

Price would immediately skyrocket no matter which side would win.

The price is mostly due to uncertainty. Even if the worst side wins, at least there's stability.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: