Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:09:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WorkInProgress] ***Meet Cryptocurrencies*** Building an entry point for newbies  (Read 349 times)
Praesidiarius (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2017, 09:01:31 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2017, 05:57:32 AM by Praesidiarius

http://en.kryptowaehrungen-kennen-lernen.ch/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/03/logo_en.jpg

Working on a new website where i gonna share what i know about cryptos so far. its more about altcoins than bitcoin.

Its meant to be an start/entry point for newbies in the crypto topic - gonna try google top rank for some keywords.

please help making the best altcoin watchlist and newbie crypto website on the web - to help spread the word - and most important to avoid that people coming newly into this topic and looking
for info on the net about altcoins - dont land up on any of these hundreds of scam/hyip
sites, which really does not help the cryptos to find their way into society :/ crypto is a serious thing, that could make the world a better place -
so we should make sure that people realize that and end up on the official channels of the well developed opensource coins when they looking for information.

Update 2017/03/24 - Heres a screen of the new beta list on the website - here you can see the features planned - most of them already working
http://en.kryptowaehrungen-kennen-lernen.ch/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/03/tablebeta-2.jpg

Heres the link to the altcoin watchlist (alpha)
http://meet-cryptocurrencies.com/altcoin-watchlist/

Any corrections / improvements / additions very welcome !

I also need more basic information about cryptos - i want to have 6 chapters.
http://meet-cryptocurrencies.com/what-is-a-cryptocurrency/
any suggestions for the 6th chapter?  ..maybe something about PoS/PoW? Also corrections/improvements to text very welcome

By the way ... also got 2 german domains
http://www.kryptowaehrungen-kennen-lernen.ch
http://www.kryptowaehrungen-kennen-lernen.de

If you want to discuss about the altcoin watchlist on the page, theres another thread for that
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1826541.msg18184684#msg18184684 ( will be updated soon )

This ones just about crafting the texts and the page in general.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AusKipper

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:41:22 AM

I think we (the world) could use a site like this to be honest.

Coinmarket cap is good, but doesn't offer any detail as to governance structures, proof type (POW, POS) etc.

I think somewhere in your site you need a table with a bunch of altcoins that will update with current market cap and price data etc automatically but also has additional columns for:
Governance: (does it have a treasury system? Does it have any kind of voting system? etc)
Proof Type : (proof of work? proof of stake? proof of storage? hybrid?)
Hash type for proof of work:
Key Features: Is it decentralized storage? is it for smart contracts?
Privacy ranking: Your view (or your websites view) of the level of privacy provided by the coin, 1-10 style
Coin emissions curves: Is there a cap on the number of coins? how fast are the expected to come out?
Block time
Fishy business ranking: Do you (your website) smell a rat with the currency? if so why? links to evidence.
Probably other things I haven't thought of right this minute as I write this post.

Your site will need a massive glossary section, briefly and simply explaining terms like proof of work, proof of stake, smart contracts, hash power etc.

Also, one slight criticism if I may, how many big sites do you see with a - in the url? not many if any. Cryptocurrencies.com would have been better if it was available. If its not maybe something short like altcoins.com or something like that. I know you already brought and paid for that one but I think it could be worth considering something different. Maybe ask someone elses opinion on it first.

I noticed you have a watch list, and you ignore all coins not on that list. I suggest a tier system, so you have what you consider "tier 1 coins" and "tier 2" and "rubbish"

This way you will probably get more traffic on your site. Any coins in the rubbish tier you probably don't need to watch or update much but they should be on your website.

I think coinmarketcap.com is popular because of the sheer number of coins listed as well as its just a good site. I think you want to be like that but with more information right?

Also, one final question, down the bottom I see you are asking for donations, I see PIVX, Ethereum and Bitcoin, whats the 4th one I don't recognize it?

Also, for a site like this you probably want that request on its on page and you probably want to have as many different coins on it as possible. If you use an exchange for the receipt addresses it will be easy to keep track of what coin donations you get are going into and then you can easily convert to your coin of choice and get them out. Also, from experience with something like this, don't be optimistic about receiving many donations.

If the donations are just for a little here and there that's fine, but if you really want to monetize you will probably want to have the top level stuff free, but then have subscriber only reports or the like that are paid for. Or ads but everyone hates those and you will need a LOT of traffic.

Good luck. I'll probably keep track of this thread so we'll see how you go.

AusKipper

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:46:08 AM

Also if you add Decred as a donation option I promise I will donate you .5 Decred when my tickets have voted.

If I forget remind me.

AusKipper

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:50:02 AM

I think somewhere in your site you need a table with a bunch of altcoins that will update with current market cap and price data etc automatically but also has additional columns for:
Governance: (does it have a treasury system? Does it have any kind of voting system? etc)
Proof Type : (proof of work? proof of stake? proof of storage? hybrid?)
Hash type for proof of work:
Key Features: Is it decentralized storage? is it for smart contracts?
Privacy ranking: Your view (or your websites view) of the level of privacy provided by the coin, 1-10 style
Coin emissions curves: Is there a cap on the number of coins? how fast are the expected to come out?
Block time
Fishy business ranking: Do you (your website) smell a rat with the currency? if so why? links to evidence.
Probably other things I haven't thought of right this minute as I write this post.

2 more things:

If you have a competent programmer or some capable of reviewing code on your team (if you have a team)
- Github Activity Assessment - 1-10 ranking, dated, with brief summary of what you thought of their github (or other code repository if open source) commit history. Do you think its active of dead? how active?

- Open source/Closed source

Also this table should be sort-able and filter-able

Civil

Activity: 40

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:50:45 AM

the bigges problem is that the most people doesn't seem interested in BTC and altcoin because if you see a freakin news about btc on a news portal it's 90% related to scams and how terrorists uses it to fund their shit. IMO this could be the first and most important thing to wipe out of peoples mind when they hear about BTC or altcoins.
AusKipper

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:52:34 AM

the bigges problem is that the most people doesn't seem interested in BTC and altcoin because if you see a freakin news about btc on a news portal it's 90% related to scams and how terrorists uses it to fund their shit. IMO this could be the first and most important thing to wipe out of peoples mind when they hear about BTC or altcoins.

100% agree.

I think you could give a whole page on why privacy is important for normal people not just terrorists.

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm-7_V6J2W8&t=2134s

Praesidiarius (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2017, 09:55:10 AM

Also if you add Decred as a donation option I promise I will donate you .5 Decred when my tickets have voted.

If I forget remind me.

Just added Smiley

And heres the list you were "asking for" (still work in progress - need a lot more info - any help welcome)

http://meet-cryptocurrencies.com/altcoin-watchlist/

All the info there is already from 3 apis .. its updated all 60mins. more info and better design will follow see it as alpha

Will add more columns to the watchlist as ProofType, privacy ranking, blocktime, key features, emissions curve (thanks for suggestion) ..also i will add 3 icons that will show if you can CPU/GPU/Mobile mine it

Also good idea with the glossary - will start working on that with the next update. is there any source for good text about PoS/PoW/Hash etc? .. i'll just google / wiki it otherwise .. im still not sure
about some of that stuff myself ..so Cheesy

Also, one final question, down the bottom I see you are asking for donations, I see PIVX, Ethereum and Bitcoin, whats the 4th one I don't recognize it?
i think you mean groestlcoin? .. the by far most underestimated and untervalued crypto out there Cheesy its on the watchlist if you want more info

AusKipper

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 10:23:12 PM

Also good idea with the glossary - will start working on that with the next update. is there any source for good text about PoS/PoW/Hash etc? .. i'll just google / wiki it otherwise .. im still not sure

Sent you the decred.

I dont know any particularly good sources for simple explanations of those things. I guess you will have to google Wink

Your altcoin watchlist is "curated" so you are excluding everything you believe to be no good, which is fine, but I think you should have a full list of coins on your site somewhere with filterable selection, ie, you can choose to only be viewing proof of work coins with a market cap greater then 20 million that have a block time that is 1 minute or less, or something like that.

Are you solo on this?

Praesidiarius (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2017, 09:07:37 PM

Sent you the decred.

I dont know any particularly good sources for simple explanations of those things. I guess you will have to google Wink

Your altcoin watchlist is "curated" so you are excluding everything you believe to be no good, which is fine, but I think you should have a full list of coins on your site somewhere with filterable selection, ie, you can choose to only be viewing proof of work coins with a market cap greater then 20 million that have a block time that is 1 minute or less, or something like that.

Are you solo on this?

Thanks a lot ! .. ok i gonna search for.

Yes its curated - thats the very reason for the watchlist. But yes, i plan to link a complete list ( i think their already enough resources for that - so i just gonna link them ) - so people see that theirs more.

Currently solo on this but looking for some more team members - think i will find some more to join me.
AusKipper

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:50:38 PM

Thanks a lot ! .. ok i gonna search for.

Yes its curated - thats the very reason for the watchlist. But yes, i plan to link a complete list ( i think their already enough resources for that - so i just gonna link them ) - so people see that theirs more.

Currently solo on this but looking for some more team members - think i will find some more to join me.

They moved your thread to a part I dont check hence I didnt see your reply.

Do you plan to attempt to monetize in any way or is this 100% spare time hobby type of activity?

Anyway good luck with it I don't have spare time really to help you but would love for you to succeed.

Ryan Dugan

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2017, 06:33:49 PM

Not everyone is an idiot though. We dont really want people who believe such nonesense around .
It is fine as it is dont worry. Its nothing by media sensationalism and hype.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: