Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 08:48:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Mhash/s when screen shuts down  (Read 945 times)
Gogluism (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:28:30 AM

I have noticed a major decrease in hashing speed when I close my laptop lid, it goes down from 48M (Yes, I know it's low) to about 20M.
My power plan is always on high performance: hdd always on, no sleep/hibernate/anything else. Actually I always remove my battery when my laptop is on full throttle.
This only happens when my screen goes black, even when I close it for 3 seconds, I don't want to let it on for hours.
I use CGminer and GUIminer, same results.
AMD A8-4500M with Radeon HD 7640G, Win7/64, last drivers, everything is in order.
Any help is appretiated, thanks.

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/04/22/4gp.png
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:36:19 AM

try disabling the screen saver so that its set to none if that dosnt work then sticking the laptop on locked should help

Gogluism (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:44:19 AM

Yeah I forgot to mention that my screensaver is also disabled  Undecided
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:53:51 AM

how about all the other power saving options, are they all off?

K.
Gogluism (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:35:44 AM

how about all the other power saving options, are they all off?

K.
Yup, high performance only.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:37:03 AM

go into the registry and disable all entrys of "EnableULPS"
"ultra low power state" Try that.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
alecpap

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:49:02 AM

Did you disable all of the settings that lower power use when the lid is closed?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:55:27 AM

ohhh, MYyyy GOODDD ITS A LAPTOP, NO!, STAHP!
Seriously you should Never mine bitcoins on a Laptop!, Ohmygosh you are GOING to burn out the thing within a year or less, Its not worth a broken computer!
NEVER MINE COINS ON A LAPTOP, THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS WHY THAT I DONT HAVE TIME TO LIST THEM ALL

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
lbr

Activity: 423
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:55:04 AM

Seriously you should Never mine bitcoins on a Laptop!, Ohmygosh you are GOING to burn out the thing within a year or less, Its not worth a broken computer!
NEVER MINE COINS ON A LAPTOP, THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS WHY THAT I DONT HAVE TIME TO LIST THEM ALL

I'm mining on my laptop for about a month 24/7, 100% uptime, everything is ok ;p
I've also used laptops as SQL/DNS/Web servers and for gaming.
However, ofc, you are right in a sense that one should know the basics of laptop limitations(cooling+power draw mostly) before running something 'heavy'.

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
cgminer 2.11.13 x64 portable for Mac OS X 10.6.8
6+ GPUs driver mod for Windows
lbr

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:02:58 AM

I have noticed a major decrease in hashing speed when I close my laptop lid, it goes down from 48M (Yes, I know it's low) to about 20M.
My power plan is always on high performance: hdd always on, no sleep/hibernate/anything else. Actually I always remove my battery when my laptop is on full throttle.
This only happens when my screen goes black, even when I close it for 3 seconds, I don't want to let it on for hours.
I use CGminer and GUIminer, same results.
AMD A8-4500M with Radeon HD 7640G, Win7/64, last drivers, everything is in order.
Any help is appretiated, thanks.

Probably GPU is entering low power state.
To find out if it does, launch GPU-Z and enable logging, after a while once the screen turns off check log for GPU frequencies and voltage, they should stay the same. If they are not the same - GPU enters power saving.
Not sure about integrated graphics, but discrete AMD GPU power saving can be disabled in Catalyst.
Also maybe CPU is entering extremely low power state, try checking with CPU-Z or ThrottleStop.
And since it is AMD APU, maybe it drops memory frequencies..
So.. you need to log all the frequncies and voltages Wink

btw, why do you remove battery? It makes no sense, except the heat maybe. And some laptops(Dell) think that they do not have enough power available when there is not battery and slow everything down.

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
Nomdeplume

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:10:42 AM

I run cgminer on my work laptop when it is connected to work power. It has a pretty nice Nvidia Quadro chipset and generates a measly 12MH but it is an HP workstation laptop. If it burns out (oops), HP is really good about replacing parts overnight, and I still have 4 other HP workstation computers I can use each also mining with cool running Firepro workstation cards along with my 7990's at home.
namdrazil

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:34:49 AM

try disabling both sleeping and the screen sleeping in power options
Drizzle

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:19:29 AM

btw, why do you remove battery? It makes no sense, except the heat maybe. And some laptops(Dell) think that they do not have enough power available when there is not battery and slow everything down.

Probably to save the battery for when it's needed. Having it hooked to power all the time reduces its life, since there's still some discharge/recharge going on.
lbr

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:12:26 AM

Probably to save the battery for when it's needed. Having it hooked to power all the time reduces its life, since there's still some discharge/recharge going on.

That's a myth.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:04:36 AM

-snip-

That's a myth.
No its not, doing this damages batteries, sure you can keep going 99%-100%-99%-100% but its Going to hurt your batteries lifespan.
You're probobly thinking about how a car battery works, They sit at nearly 60% charge average, wich is much differant than 100%

Goahead, charge a fully charged battery, tap a bit of current out of it, Fully charge it again- Repeat, That battery will die faster than the battery that goes from 1% back upto 100%
0%-100% can also hurt a battery

blobzorz

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:38:48 AM

There may be a power-saving feature enabled in BIOS
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: