Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best home miner?  (Read 2821 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitcointrad3r (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 03:43:18 PM

I want to start bitcoin mining as a hobby. I have a budget of around $1.5k
What is the best miner for in home use? I know the newest antminer is meant for large scale operations so I decided agains that.

I was looking at getting 2 AvalonMiner 741 from Here Will these work for me? Is this site reputable to order from?
I have very cheap electricity where I live so I'm more focused on pure mining power.

This topic is only self moderated because some user keeps spamming all of my threads. I won't delete any other posts

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2017, 05:00:10 PM

If you have a place where the noise is not an issue (e.g. well ventilated garage or shed), the newest miners are your best bet for efficiency. Of which, how cheap is cheap? The Avalon 4/4.1 is known for being quiet but really needs free or almost free electricity to have a chance of profiting.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
beltsniffer

Activity: 277

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 05:19:22 PM

What is the best miner for in home use? I know the newest antminer is meant for large scale operations so I decided agains that.

I was looking at getting 2 AvalonMiner 741 from Here Will these work for me? Is this site reputable to order from?
I have very cheap electricity where I live so I'm more focused on pure mining power.

This topic is only self moderated because some user keeps spamming all of my threads. I won't delete any other posts
Yes, that is the link to the maker of Avalon miners. https://canaan.io/shop/

It all depends on how you are going to use it. If it's actually in your house, the Antminer R4 is a better in home miner. It's quieter than other miners. If it's just going to be in the basement or garage you could go with an Antminer T9 or S9, or the Avalon 741. The Antminers are more energy efficient with a higher hashrate, but have been less reliable in terms of breaking down. Antminers can be purchased from the manufacturer, Bitmain, at https://shop.bitmain.com/main.htm

With any miner you buy, you need to be prepared for some noise and heat. They throw off about as much heat a 1000W - 1500W space heater. Not a lot of fun in the summer months.
bitcointrad3r (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 12:48:30 AM

Yes, that is the link to the maker of Avalon miners. https://canaan.io/shop/

It all depends on how you are going to use it. If it's actually in your house, the Antminer R4 is a better in home miner. It's quieter than other miners. If it's just going to be in the basement or garage you could go with an Antminer T9 or S9, or the Avalon 741. The Antminers are more energy efficient with a higher hashrate, but have been less reliable in terms of breaking down. Antminers can be purchased from the manufacturer, Bitmain, at https://shop.bitmain.com/main.htm

With any miner you buy, you need to be prepared for some noise and heat. They throw off about as much heat a 1000W - 1500W space heater. Not a lot of fun in the summer months.
Where could I buy the R4?
beltsniffer

Activity: 277

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 06:04:23 PM

Bitmain is currently sold out for the R4. You could wait until they produce more and buy directly from them, or buy through a reseller on ebay or alibaba.
bitcointrad3r (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 07:56:11 PM

Bitmain is currently sold out for the R4. You could wait until they produce more and buy directly from them, or buy through a reseller on ebay or alibaba.
alright cool thanks
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:39:06 AM

I feel like it should be pointed out the R4 suffers from an excessively high failure rate so buyer beware if you decide to go that route.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
bitcointrad3r (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:41:37 AM

Im looking at getting 1 or 2 Avalon 741's from here: https://canaan.io/product/avalonminer-741/
What other things would I need to buy to set these up to run? If I need a power supply what do you recommend?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:52:53 AM

The Avalons are rated at 1150w +15% so around 1322watts total. I would recommend at least at 1600w PSU if you are planning on buying a standard ATX power supply. Personally I would recommend you buy serve grade power supplies as they are more efficient and have more built in safety functions than a retail ATX psu. There are multiple people on this board that sell PSUs and breakout boards for exactly this purpose.

To run the Avalon you will need a Raspberry PI 3 (or equivalent) with an 8gb micro SD card. The miner itself comes with the cable and UART adapter needed to hook it up to the RPi and Canaan provides images for the RPi. The software is pretty self explanatory but if you have trouble there are setup guides to be found in the hardware section of the forum.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
bitcointrad3r (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:01:18 AM

The Avalons are rated at 1150w +15% so around 1322watts total. I would recommend at least at 1600w PSU if you are planning on buying a standard ATX power supply. Personally I would recommend you buy serve grade power supplies as they are more efficient and have more built in safety functions than a retail ATX psu. There are multiple people on this board that sell PSUs and breakout boards for exactly this purpose.

To run the Avalon you will need a Raspberry PI 3 (or equivalent) with an 8gb micro SD card. The miner itself comes with the cable and UART adapter needed to hook it up to the RPi and Canaan provides images for the RPi. The software is pretty self explanatory but if you have trouble there are setup guides to be found in the hardware section of the forum.
Sounds good. I have a raspberry PI 2, do you think that will be fine?

Thanks for your help
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2017, 03:27:30 AM

Sounds good. I have a raspberry PI 2, do you think that will be fine?

Thanks for your help

Yes.

https://canaan.io/question/how-do-i-connect-an-avalonminer-721-and-avalonminer-controller-including-raspberry-pi-1-2-and-3/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: