Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:10:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Zimbabwe Solution  (Read 1546 times)
mokimarket (OP)

Activity: 422
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:24:56 AM

Quite a bit I hear Zimbabwe pop up as an adopter of bitcoin.

I am a native of Zimbabwe and I go back there quite often. One thing I noticed last time I was there was the extensive use of mobile minutes as currency. There is no "change" in Zimbabwe, so if you owe someone $1.50, you might give them a dollar and some minutes.

I think the easiest way to get a country like Zimbabwe to adopt bitcoins is to create some sort of cell minutes for bitcoin exchange.

If anybody is interested in exploring this angle let me know. I don't have all the logistics as to how to set it up but I do know people (2 degrees of freedom away from Mugabe) so I'm sure we can bribe our way to get something implemented. I think it would be really cool to have a country adopt Bitcoin as a currency.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:02:06 AM

trading cell minutes, that's neat.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:04:51 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178660.0

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
jp

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 05:05:43 AM

Can you elaborate more about the trading of minutes works? Is it some code that people send via SMS?

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
virtualmaster

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:13:03 AM

For example you have 300 minutes of call time on your sim card and you send 100 minutes to your friend.
He will have 100 minutes more and you will have 100 minutes less.
It is only possible if the network provider supports this feature. There is no general code for this feature - depends on your provider.
Is usable in some countries as a kind of micropayment.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
mokimarket (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:27:19 AM

Are you referring to M-PESA? I've heard it is very popular in Kenya. So popular that the government had to crack down on its use.

No M-Pesa basically capitalizes on this premise however they transaction fees are quite high for small transactions (6-8% I believe on a $3 transaction)

Lets say you are in Zimbabwe and you need to call someone real quick. You can purchase $1 prepaid slip and call anywhere in the word for a few minutes. These $1 slips are quite popular and everybody on the street accepts them a currency because you can easily liquidate them.

I'm suggesting that lets say a cell phone company comes into town w/a new smartphone that you can buy internet time and talk time on. You can probably offer this service by the minute (Wouldnt work in the states because people require much more). Say you charge 10minutes per mBtc and only accept mBtcs. Now you create a separate service that allow people to purchase mBtcs for dollars. Soon people will associate bitcoins with a way to get time on their phones. You can also have mBtc apps on the smart phone so people can transfer mBtcs to each other to purchase more time.

Time literally is a currency in Zimbabwe so I think it could work. I'm just not sure how to get the cell service side of this thing setup.
mokimarket (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:32:24 AM

For example you have 300 minutes of call time on your sim card and you send 100 minutes to your friend.
It is only possible if the network provider supports this feature. There is no general code for this feature - depends on your provider.

This is why I think the way to promote this in Africa is through a cell provider. If we can get a cell provider to accept bitcoins as payment for minutes (seems like the perfect commodity because the cell provider is not dealing in a tangible asset) and set up an app on their phone that releases x minutes per mBtc then I think bitcoins will take off.
abyrnes81

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:41:43 AM

The transfer time on bitcoins is still way too long to be used very well as a currency.  It can take over an hour to get confirmations of 3 or more and that's just way too long to be practical. I'm sure it can be used some but not that widespread for awhile.
virtualmaster

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:25:28 PM

This is why I think the way to promote this in Africa is through a cell provider. If we can get a cell provider to accept bitcoins as payment for minutes (seems like the perfect commodity because the cell provider is not dealing in a tangible asset) and set up an app on their phone that releases x minutes per mBtc then I think bitcoins will take off.
It could work in Africa and in other countries where there is a mobile system but it is not very well developed.
In developed countries doesn't work if there is a tariff for ex. 20$/month unlimited minutes.
In countries where 300 minutes costs 10$ and this is what you get as payment for 2 days it works well, because locally it represent a significant value. You can pay a taxi and buy some food with it and I saw that works concretely.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:32:14 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 12:44:10 PM by caveden

How common are smartphones in Zimbabwe?
If they're not very common yet, what's needed for quicker Bitcoin adoption is something like Coinapult SMS wallet, at least while smartphones are not everywhere.

And, of course, an exchange would be necessary too. I'm not aware of any... is there an exchange in Zimbabwe, or an easy way for Zimbabweans to send dollars to foreign exchanges?

Actually, if the transfer of cell phone minutes is so easy, wouldn't it be possible to build a "cell phone minutes/BTC" exchange, instead of BTC/USD exchange? You would only need to be sure the cell phone operator would not close the exchange account for unauthorized use of its credits.

The transfer time on bitcoins is still way too long to be used very well as a currency.  It can take over an hour to get confirmations of 3 or more and that's just way too long to be practical. I'm sure it can be used some but not that widespread for awhile.

For the great majority of transactions you don't need more than 1 confirmation. Actually, if you know the sender, you don't need any confirmation at all.

Are you aware of Bitcoin Wireless? Perhaps you should contact them.
mokimarket (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:41:43 PM

How common are smartphones in Zimbabwe?
If they're not very common yet, what's needed for quicker Bitcoin adoption is something like Coinapult SMS wallet, at least while smartphones are not everywhere.

And, of course, an exchange would be necessary too. I'm not aware of any... is there an exchange in Zimbabwe, or an easy way for Zimbabweans to send dollars to foreign exchanges?

Actually, if the transfer of cell phone minutes is so easy, wouldn't it be possible to build a "cell phone minutes/BTC" exchange, instead of BTC/USD exchange? You would only need to be sure the cell phone operator would not close the exchange account for unauthorized use of its credits.

The transfer time on bitcoins is still way too long to be used very well as a currency.  It can take over an hour to get confirmations of 3 or more and that's just way too long to be practical. I'm sure it can be used some but not that widespread for awhile.

For the great majority of transactions you don't need more than 1 confirmation. Actually, if you know the sender, you don't need any confirmation at all.

Are you aware of Bitcoin Wireless? Perhaps you should contact them.

No I was not aware of bitcoinwireless, thanks for the link. I have a few contacts I message this morning and I will see if I can get them setup with a phone for testing over there. The kids are where all this crap take off. Smartphones are not big in Zim right now...well of the same caliber of the ones we are used to. I like the minutes to btc exchange, I think that would be a good way to handle fluxuating prices.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 03:38:41 PM

You should take my course. I mention Zimbabwe

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:48:53 PM

Don't forget that it is very easy to set up local exchanges with:
https://localbitcoins.com/country/Zw

(be the first in Zimbabwe!)
virtualmaster

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:05:31 PM

This picture looks cool
 Grin Grin Grin
http://www.techzim.co.zw/2013/04/bitcoin-a-currency-and-payments-opportunity-for-zimbabweans/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: