Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:13:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: English writing mistakes you might be doing!  (Read 2730 times)
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2017, 07:23:54 AM

My native language is Polish (slavic) so all the "a/an" and "the" rules are just a nightmare for me because it is completely new idea, not present in any slavic language. In slavic languages we just write nouns without any articles.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lorik

Activity: 233
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:12:40 AM

My native language is Polish (slavic) so all the "a/an" and "the" rules are just a nightmare for me because it is completely new idea, not present in any slavic language. In slavic languages we just write nouns without any articles.
With Ukrainian and Polish, too much in common, but English is really a problem. But I believe that the main thing is that we understand each other. When explaining a good conversation.
FlamingFingers (OP)

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 03:23:11 AM

I can't believe your and you're are number 69! It's #1 in my books. Everyone gets it wrong and I have no idea why.

Another one to add to the list, if I didn't just miss it, would be advice vs. advise.

You cannot advice me on what I should do, but you certainly can advise me Wink. In other words, you could give me some advice!

I've also seen vary and very used incorrectly but definitely not as often.

Anyways thanx four the kool lessons you gived us hear. I seen them all over two and I cant stand them. Your a good guy and I hope you recieve alot of great feedback.
List updated, thanks.
I know you and your are mistakes that I personally see from native speakers very often, but it's number 69 (now it's 70  Tongue) due to the alphabetical order. That last part is hilarious, though   Cheesy

couple of days ago, google translate changed my a lot to alot  Shocked
There is Indian town named Alot, so if you put the uppercase it might be because of that.
I didn't know that, thanks for sharing it.

It's the same as Russian. I know your feeling though – it's exactly what I feel about German's Der/Das/Die, and Spanish's el/la un/una.

With Ukrainian and Polish, too much in common, but English is really a problem. But I believe that the main thing is that we understand each other. When explaining a good conversation.
True. When having a chat with English native speakers, they don't care if you speak English fluently or not as long as you can understand each other.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
SkyNVS

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 04:38:03 AM

I wasn't a native english speaker, but I been speaking it for 20 years now and I still make many of these mistakes on the list. Good stuff.
Barbarian

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:24:46 PM

Another error which is quite common is the difference between it’s and its.
oxygen88

Activity: 306

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 07:47:29 AM

Because some of the members here, their native language is not english, and I do believe some of the user out there use google translate in their post.
Decksperiment

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 08:11:19 AM

And american english is simply wrong. Since the only place you'll hear the queen's english is actually in aberdeen, may I suggest you all start talking scottish, where we simply change anything we want to suit our need's. This is how bad english actually is:

Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman, be he alive, or be he dead, I'll break his bones to make my bread.

American english.. the only english that makes worse sense than the origional. <-(correct spelling!!)

FlamingFingers (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 11:17:55 AM

I wasn't a native english speaker, but I been speaking it for 20 years now and I still make many of these mistakes on the list. Good stuff.
Glad I could help.

Another error which is quite common is the difference between it’s and its.
It's on the list – number 26.

Because some of the members here, their native language is not english, and I do believe some of the user out there use google translate in their post.

Again, if they are using Google Translate, they won't make spelling mistakes, they would make non-logical sentences that make no sense. Besides, Google Translate is getting stronger and smarter nowadays, I give them that.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Barrymore

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 11:41:24 AM

If the author of this thread wants to defeat ignorance it is proposed to organize courses of English language tuition on Skype for example. The error indicators will not make sense without training. Practice is the communication forum.
GerardETH

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 05:24:08 PM

If the author of this thread wants to defeat ignorance it is proposed to organize courses of English language tuition on Skype for example. The error indicators will not make sense without training. Practice is the communication forum.
These courses are probably very positive training. Probably the results are very good. But I have problems with irregular verbs and I always confuse verbs in time. This gives certain difficulties.
dacueba

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Tipsters Championship www.DirectBet.eu/Competition

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 04:23:42 PM

an error made more by native speakers is write loose instead of lose

why?

Stagger Lee

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 07:54:14 PM

almost all your mistakes are easily corrected with a spell checker, like most browsers already have if your OS is in english

and the a/an rule is confusing

is a strategy or an strategy correct?
FlamingFingers (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:59:17 PM

I don't want to defeat ignorance, because these mistakes aren't made out of ignorance, they are made unintentionally. There are a lot of these "tutoring/training" courses, especially for English, do you see them help any?

why?

To be honest, I don't know why they make such mistakes. However, I guess it's because of sound. The 'o' letter in 'Lose' is pronounced a long o (oo), thus people mistake it for 'loose'. And the problem is: it's hard to change their mind.

almost all your mistakes are easily corrected with a spell checker, like most browsers already have if your OS is in english

Not all are corrected by a spell checker – logical mistakes like it's and its, or your and you're would seem correctly written for a spell checker, therefore, they are the commonly mistaken ones even if one is using a spell checker. By the way, all languages, nationalities, and countries are written with an initial uppercase letter, hence, it should be English.

Can you tell me why it is confusing?
You should approach it like this:
Word: Strategy.
First/initial letter: S, hence, a consonant letter.
Article: a

This should take less than a second in your mind to write.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
FlamingFingers (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 09:09:57 PM

Bump.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
richar_el23

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 08:17:07 PM

I don't want to defeat ignorance, because these mistakes aren't made out of ignorance, they are made unintentionally. There are a lot of these "tutoring/training" courses, especially for English, do you see them help any?

why?

To be honest, I don't know why they make such mistakes. However, I guess it's because of sound. The 'o' letter in 'Lose' is pronounced a long o (oo), thus people mistake it for 'loose'. And the problem is: it's hard to change their mind.

Not all are corrected by a spell checker – logical mistakes like it's and its, or your and you're would seem correctly written for a spell checker, therefore, they are the commonly mistaken ones even if one is using a spell checker. By the way, all languages, nationalities, and countries are written with an initial uppercase letter, hence, it should be English.

I constantly forget to put punctuation marks and from this it becomes hard to read. I'm not sure that my written one will be able to understand.
Nagadota

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

ClaimWithMe - the most paying faucet of all times!

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2017, 05:40:59 AM

Decent guide.  I'm a native speaker and I appreciate that English can be a difficult language to get into, especially since the rules and logic of it don't really make any sense.  For logic, I prefer German.

These mistakes are fine if you make a post which is reasonable and contributes to the topic though.  English is only a minor part of what makes a post good unless you're doing a post in which you're trying very hard to look professional (like an ANN thread for a new altcoin).

PancherBitCoin

Activity: 812
Merit: 317

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 05:50:30 AM

why?

I constantly forget to put punctuation marks and from this it becomes hard to read. I'm not sure that my written one will be able to understand.
But you try to write exactly as you think and say. This should help, because all the same you are talking with your hands, not the full set of words.
achow102

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 07:45:33 AM

why?

But you try to write exactly as you think and say. This should help, because all the same you are talking with your hands, not the full set of words.
In your advice there is a good idea and it is worth trying even to me. In the absence of knowledge of spelling, eh, this will facilitate the task.
Yanisumin

Activity: 648
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 01:01:15 PM

Thanks mate. This is a great help for the community. There are people here including me that want to earn but can't speak and write English in proper way. Even pure blooded Englishmen make the same mistakes. The thing is we grow and we learn through time here inside and out.

FlamingFingers (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 10:14:07 PM

List updated.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████