Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:59:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using 2 Psus  (Read 1734 times)
Set Ready Go (OP)

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 06:38:23 PM

So i got a sweet deal on evga supernova G3 750 watt.

I have ordered a couple of add2psu.

What im wondering about is for example the powering of the system.

psu1 powering mobo and all the risers and psu2 powering all the gpus.

So you people who are used to configuring 2 psu systems  does it matter how i setup the psus.

Some examples would be appreciated.

Over n out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 06:45:02 PM

I use 2 PSUs for most of my rigs because the real value for PSUs is at the 750-850W range.

When you use an add2psu, one psu will become master (The one powering the motherboard) and the other will become the slave. To power off both PSUs just power off the master.

I wouldn't recommend putting all GPUs on one PSU, that is by far the majority of the power draw! MOBO and perifs tend to be < 100w if you're using a small CPU which you should be. Try to balance the load as evenly as possible. I tend to put 3 GPUs and the powered risers for those GPUs on the slave PSU and 2 GPUs, the powered risers for those 2, motherboard and perifs on the master. Has worked great for me. If you want to verify that you're balancing the load correctly, consider getting a power meter and test each PSU individually while your rig is mining.
666mrga999

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:20:34 PM

How would one go about things without add2psu?
Would it hurt GPUs if one PSU would be constantly on while the other would power up system and the rest of GPUs?

<<inb4 n00b
joaocha

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:25:29 PM

Just use jumper on secondary Psu, dont buy that add2psu,

have 6 rigs running with jumper on every Psu that dont feed motherboard.

Before you turn everything on, just turn jumped Psus first, them start mother board

Profit
666mrga999

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:28:35 PM

Before you turn everything on, just turn jumped Psus first, them start mother board

Profit

Can you please explain how you make/use a jumper.
Total greenhorn here
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:39:15 PM

How would one go about things without add2psu?
Would it hurt GPUs if one PSU would be constantly on while the other would power up system and the rest of GPUs?

<<inb4 n00b

Usually the fans keep spinning but it should not really hurt anything.  That add2psu is more for farms I think so they can be certain the power is completely shutoff when they remote in and shutdown but wont be able to service the rack for sometime.

Imo your rigs should be on more than off.

BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:42:15 PM

Profit

Can you please explain how you make/use a jumper.
Total greenhorn here

It's actually very simple

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=394

I can attest that this method works too, but some may argue that it is slightly dangerous because the 2 PSUs wont share a common ground. I've use both add2psus and just manually jumping the slave PSUs, both worked fine with no issues.
fathur.aza

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 02:44:24 AM

before changing everything let's jump to the first PSU.

and therefore start from the beginning would be advantageous to the fore.
kisk

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 03:32:10 AM

To jump the 2nd PSU simply short the green and any ground (black) wires on your 24pin connector. I just use a paperclip.
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 10:56:19 AM

I use 2 PSUs for most of my rigs because the real value for PSUs is at the 750-850W range.

When you use an add2psu, one psu will become master (The one powering the motherboard) and the other will become the slave. To power off both PSUs just power off the master.

I wouldn't recommend putting all GPUs on one PSU, that is by far the majority of the power draw! MOBO and perifs tend to be < 100w if you're using a small CPU which you should be. Try to balance the load as evenly as possible. I tend to put 3 GPUs and the powered risers for those GPUs on the slave PSU and 2 GPUs, the powered risers for those 2, motherboard and perifs on the master. Has worked great for me. If you want to verify that you're balancing the load correctly, consider getting a power meter and test each PSU individually while your rig is mining.

No offense - but you gave some terrible (and potentially dangerous) advice here.

It is VERY important that the PSU that powers the motherboard/cpu/ssd, etc is also the one that powers ALL the risers! Otherwise you can get problems where the two PSUs are kind of fighting each other to maintain whatever is the proper 12v reference to ground.

So in any two PSU system, the "master" PSU powers the motherboard/cpu/periferals + always the first GPU in the primary PCIe slot and then as many more GPUs as you are confident it can handle + ALL THE POWER TO ALL THE RISERS.

The 2nd or "slave" PSU just provides the 6/8 pin PCIe power to whatever extra GPUs the "master" isn't powering. Definitely not any power to risers or in fact anything other than 12v PCIe GPU power plugs.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Golku

Activity: 263

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:07:15 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2017, 11:21:54 AM by Golku

What happens if the main PSU turns off and the slave PSU still being active and giving 12v to the GPUs? can this harm the GPU's ?
Set Ready Go (OP)

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 07:08:21 PM

Thanks for all the input guys Smiley
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 31, 2017, 02:15:47 AM

I'll be using all 2x750w in open frames and 1600w in closed cases. All evga Titanium using 220v. Its hard to beat 96% efficiency.

I think it will be easier to resell a 750 vs a 1600.
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
March 31, 2017, 03:39:47 AM

When you use an add2psu, one psu will become master (The one powering the motherboard) and the other will become the slave. To power off both PSUs just power off the master. - SNIP -

No offense - but you gave some terrible (and potentially dangerous) advice here.

It is VERY important that the PSU that powers the motherboard/cpu/ssd, etc is also the one that powers ALL the risers! Otherwise you can get problems where the two PSUs are kind of fighting each other to maintain whatever is the proper 12v reference to ground.

So in any two PSU system, the "master" PSU powers the motherboard/cpu/periferals + always the first GPU in the primary PCIe slot and then as many more GPUs as you are confident it can handle + ALL THE POWER TO ALL THE RISERS.

The 2nd or "slave" PSU just provides the 6/8 pin PCIe power to whatever extra GPUs the "master" isn't powering. Definitely not any power to risers or in fact anything other than 12v PCIe GPU power plugs.

If I understand what you are saying, then I disagree.  I have multiple rigs, all have 2 PSUs.  One PSU powers both motherboard power connections (24 pin and 6/8 pin), the SSD, and will typically provide power to one or two GPUs (both the 8-pin power connection AND the Molex/Sata adapter connection to the bottom of the riser card).  The other PSU supplies power to the other 4/5 GPUs, both at the 8-pin power connection AND to the card's Molex/Sata adapter.

No issues whatsoever.  Just luck on my part?  Did you ever personally experience any issues by connecting the 2nd PSU to the riser boards (not just the 8-pin GPU power connection)?

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
March 31, 2017, 05:16:16 AM

When you use an add2psu, one psu will become master (The one powering the motherboard) and the other will become the slave. To power off both PSUs just power off the master. - SNIP -

If I understand what you are saying, then I disagree.  I have multiple rigs, all have 2 PSUs.  One PSU powers both motherboard power connections (24 pin and 6/8 pin), the SSD, and will typically provide power to one or two GPUs (both the 8-pin power connection AND the Molex/Sata adapter connection to the bottom of the riser card).  The other PSU supplies power to the other 4/5 GPUs, both at the 8-pin power connection AND to the card's Molex/Sata adapter.

No issues whatsoever.  Just luck on my part?  Did you ever personally experience any issues by connecting the 2nd PSU to the riser boards (not just the 8-pin GPU power connection)?

Just luck. No I haven't had personal experience but I have been mining for more than a year now and when I started out, a friend of mine was also starting out - but he is an electronics engineer. I work for an engineering company as a technician.

He explained to me why you must use the 2nd (slave) PSU for ONLY 6/8 pin GPU power connections. To be honest I didn't completely understand what he told me but he drew me a simple circuit diagram and showed me how the two PSUs can "fight" each other over the 12v level - especially depending on whether they have a common ground/earth or not. The motherboard, and risers connected to them must all use the same 12v source. If there is a difference between them (and switch-mode PSUs like you get in computers are always fluctuating a little) then they are both trying to "correct" the voltage so they are the same, and in some circumstances this can cause problems, and in a few cases make stuff burn. I was lucky because I had someone who understands electrical and electronic things better than me - I do understand how it seems logical to power a GPU and the riser that connects it to the motherboard with the same GPU, but it's wrong electrically. My understanding of this might be technically imperfect but it was explained to me by someone who has worked as an electronics engnineer for more than 20 years, so it's my simplified translation of his advice.

Like I said - I have been mining for more than a year and I spent a long time posting on the Ethereum community mining forum (until it became pretty much just a place where noobs would fight over the best BIOS mod for an RX480). During that time I saw quite a few pictures and read descriptions of people who had burnt or melted molex connectors, SATA power connectors and PCIe 6/8 pin connectors. Many of them (not all but most) were caused by the incorrrect usage of a 2nd or even 3rd PSU.

Since most miners use fairly good quality PSUs that have good stable 12v output, many people can get away with doing it wrong, but if you have a problem with 1 of them and the 12v output fluctuates too much - stuff can and will burn or melt.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Fappanu

Activity: 1111
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 31, 2017, 07:20:39 AM

If you use the Powered USB riser, which does not draw from the PCIE slot, you can connect the power to the 2nd PSU.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: