Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:03:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't get Hacked! Copy-Paste Virus!!  (Read 2169 times)
cryptocoinplay (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

https://tinyurl.com/cheapVPS200

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2017, 09:14:33 AM

Recently There's a Virus I am victim of it and some of my friends, clients etc are affected too. This is called Copy-Paste Virus.
Please be careful while you paste a BTC address or Copy an Address.

The virus works like-- You copied a BTC address to send and while you paste it, It changed to other address and the funds sends to other account.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting2

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 09:18:52 AM

Recently There's a Virus I am victim of it and some of my friends, clients etc are affected too. This is called Copy-Paste Virus.

The virus works like-- You copied a BTC address to send and while you paste it, It changed to other address and the funds sends to other account.

This virus exists since at least several years, it existed when i first registered on this forum, and it'll probably continue to exist for times to come.
However, a warning like the one you posted here from time to time is a good thing... It keeps people vigilant Smiley

Always check the first couple of characters and the last couple of characters when copy-pasting... It's allmost impossible for a virus to generate enough private keys to match the first 4-5 characters AND the last 4-5 characters whithout the end user noticing lag...

██████████████████████▔|▔▔|      LEDGER WALLETSecond factorMalware Proof
████████████████████▔|▔▔|
██████████████████████|▔▔| ◀◀ Smartcard based Hardware Wallet - Worldwide Shipping
cryptocoinplay (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2017, 09:53:31 AM

This comes from NiceHash Miner

Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 03:26:39 PM

I think it is your computer as I am using NiceHash Miner mining everyday and I don't have this problem. You are accusing a big company (I know their high fees) but they are super correct so far at giving out payments. So I don't think they will want to damage their reputation with such a virus.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
cryptocoinplay (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2017, 06:05:25 AM

I think it is your computer as I am using NiceHash Miner mining everyday and I don't have this problem. You are accusing a big company (I know their high fees) but they are super correct so far at giving out payments. So I don't think they will want to damage their reputation with such a virus.

They are actually scammer putting virus into their files. I had this issue after installing their applications.
I had cleaned the virus with MalwareBytes it was a really rootkit tough virus >_<

Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2017, 06:12:11 AM

They are actually scammer putting virus into their files. I had this issue after installing their applications.
I had cleaned the virus with MalwareBytes it was a really rootkit tough virus >_<

It is one thing to get infected because of one's own stupidity.
It is another thing to get infected by downloading a binary that is modified or not from its original actual source
It is the worst thing to get infected and to accuse legit exes which is widely used by many without problems without actual proof.

I just installed the nicehash miner from their official website on my clean host only newly created windows 10 machine with crowdinspect and other tools running.

Are you sure you got your copy off https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashMiner/releases/ ?

Even malwarebytes had no alarms on running it other than the default "bitcoin miner" flag, I also ran electrum and had no address replacement like you accused.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:43:26 AM

Be carefull with such accusations. There are many possibilities here.
1. You started to using NiceHash Miner and right after you executed trojan horse on ur PC. So u blame wrong software.
2. You downloaded NiceHash Miner from diffirent than official source, which was infected by 3rd party.

There are more cases like that, use antyvirus and be carefull out there.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:52:33 AM

This virus exists since at least several years, it existed when i first registered on this forum, and it'll probably continue to exist for times to come.
However, a warning like the one you posted here from time to time is a good thing... It keeps people vigilant Smiley

Always check the first couple of characters and the last couple of characters when copy-pasting... It's allmost impossible for a virus to generate enough private keys to match the first 4-5 characters AND the last 4-5 characters whithout the end user noticing lag...
Definitely people should be checking at least the first few and last few characters of their address when pasting it anywhere, doing it blindly is not advised.
Allaway

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:12:53 AM

wow it is new virus? Because i just know at this time. So what we can do to anticipation this virus?
Barbarian

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 07:31:25 PM

It is one thing to get infected because of one's own stupidity.
It is another thing to get infected by downloading a binary that is modified or not from its original actual source
It is the worst thing to get infected and to accuse legit exes which is widely used by many without problems without actual proof.

I just installed the nicehash miner from their official website on my clean host only newly created windows 10 machine with crowdinspect and other tools running.

Are you sure you got your copy off https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashMiner/releases/ ?

Even malwarebytes had no alarms on running it other than the default "bitcoin miner" flag, I also ran electrum and had no address replacement like you accused.
When it comes to our money we need to be extra vigilant, so if you are storing your coins in a desktop wallet then you must avoid to install any kind of pirated content like games or anything like that, and if possible always verify your downloads so you know it comes form the original source and it is not modified by someone else.
Machine Funk

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 11:33:22 PM

What a nasty virus !! Clever for the one that made it. It is so easy to make this mistake and it can cause you s great loss . Be completely awake and focused when doing transactions. Dont do them when tired especially.
HarringtonStark

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2017, 01:28:16 AM

I remember being infected with that virus back in my early days of using bitcoin. I now switched to using Linux as my computer professor suggested. I didn't have any problems with virus ever since.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: