Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:34:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! Strange Occurrence ruined all my rigs.....  (Read 649 times)
N8sNathan (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 06:48:10 PM

So I had 2 mining rigs set up and they were running just fine for a number of weeks until something strange happened. I think it was a power outage but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, ever since this happened i can't seem to get any of my miners running correctly. I thought it was a problem with the PSU's but I check them and there working fine. I've now switched the mother board out on one of the rig and that helped but it can never keep mining without running into a problem.  It had 5 GPU's but that caused a problem so I had to remove one. Now the rig will start to mine but it always shuts off after a minute or so.

The second mining rig will power on for a few seconds then instantly shut off. I haven't messed much with that one.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to reset the GPU's and/or the motherboard? I'm not really sure why everything is so unstable... any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 06:52:47 PM

So I had 2 mining rigs set up and they were running just fine for a number of weeks until something strange happened. I think it was a power outage but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, ever since this happened i can't seem to get any of my miners running correctly. I thought it was a problem with the PSU's but I check them and there working fine. I've now switched the mother board out on one of the rig and that helped but it can never keep mining without running into a problem.  It had 5 GPU's but that caused a problem so I had to remove one. Now the rig will start to mine but it always shuts off after a minute or so.

The second mining rig will power on for a few seconds then instantly shut off. I haven't messed much with that one.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to reset the GPU's and/or the motherboard? I'm not really sure why everything is so unstable... any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Whats your rigs specifications , gpu cpu psu ....etc, i had some problems like this before (sudden shutdown) , it only occured while i was mining pascal and turned to be psu quality problem maybe yours too , what coin are you mining?

2016 GPU Miner
Truthchanter

Activity: 689
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 06:53:36 PM

if undervolted or overclocked, try default settings, maybe try 1 gpu at a time, try different risers?
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 07:20:28 PM

if undervolted or overclocked, try default settings, maybe try 1 gpu at a time, try different risers?
tbh from a pc tech standpoint. sounds like psu issues.

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
joaocha

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 07:21:23 PM

90% of this kind of problem is Psu Related, so just buy new Psus and be happy again, or check the PCIE power cables both gpu and riser, they usualy melt down
Wotan Wipeout

Activity: 438
Merit: 27

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 08:33:15 PM

Check the risers.
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 08:33:29 PM

As stated by others could be a power supply problem. I have had one unlucky psu fail only after 24 hours. See if you can power your rig with a psu from your friend and if problem goes away, then try to go with RMA.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 08:53:50 PM

I agree with the others and would lean toward it being a PSU related problem and look there first.

Another thing you could try if you rule out the PSU is tear the rig completely apart and rebuild it piece by piece. Strip it down, leave the CPU in though as that can cause more trouble than it's worth, but do remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute or two to completely reset everything. Add back the RAM and re-seat all connectors, add only one GPU and wipe the drive and reinstall your OS. Install your drivers and mining program and test with one GPU by itself. If all looks fine add the others one by one. This way you can hopefully isolate the bad component(s).
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:18:41 AM

1) Do you live in a rural area such that you have some sort of single transmission line feed?  If so, the power quality depends on what your neighbors are running. Like a neighbor with an electric arc welder.

2) By any chance do you generate static electricity while walking around in your mining area?

3a) Purchase a $7 receptacle tester like this and test your wall plugs:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Outlet-Tester-RT110/206517828?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D27E-Electrical%7c&gclid=CLn0ivyP-NICFc2BfgodcvQA_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Your grounds/wiring could be bad.

3b) If you can, check the panel box ground or have someone check it out.

norminorm

Activity: 75

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:40:42 AM

Hi
This happen to me. The problem is one of the GPU got fried. You have to disconnect all the GPUs and test them one by one.
Isolate the bad one and send to manufacturer for fixing/replacement.
Remember the PSU (ones you hear a click - actually this is a sign you got the fried GPU) you have to disconnect from the power (this will sort of reset it).
Anyways remove the bad GPU and your rig will work again.
In my case MSI just send me the reimbursement.
Hope this helps.
Norm
N8sNathan (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:11:02 PM

I'm using AMD RX 480's and 470's. Both rigs were running windows 10.

I found out that one of the outlets was wired wrong but the PSU's seem fine. I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/Insten-24-pin-Power-Supply-Tester/dp/B005CTCD6S and it shows them as working fine.

However, I switched the PSU on one rig and it didn't help so I changed the motherboard which got it kinda working. It just keeps having problems. Is it possible to have bad GPU's that mess with the whole system?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: