Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:10:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUEST FOR NEW FORUM] - For Lightning Network/Payment channels  (Read 383 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 09:41:58 PM

Some of us are going to start testing the lightning network, aka. payment channels, as software is becoming ready for it. Since this is early days and people need to coordinate to connect by posting their url's and trying to open channels between each other, as we did back in the early days of Bitcoin, I would like to request for a payment channel forum to be created so that we can coordinate our efforts.

Since payment channels are completely different in the way the infrastructure works, and since they will experience their own set of challenges and issues, I think it would be great to have a forum dedicated to supporting them. One implementation is already working and we will soon have two more ready to go that will make all of them compatible.

Right now there is no forum that suits for talking about payment channels, and it will be a mix of Bitcoin main forum, dev talk and maybe even the altcoin section or off topic section.

Please consider giving a forum to testing what is arguably the most anticipated feature of Bitcoin ever!

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anonymoustroll420

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 09:55:16 PM

Yes great idea. Please add a forum, or at least someone should make a thread.

Please don't stop us from using ASICBoost which we're not using
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 10:43:58 PM

This kind of thread would probably belong in the dev and tech sub or the alternate clients depending on the specifics

Actually on second thought, this would have nothing to do with the client satoshi designed, so it would belong in alternate clients.
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:15:01 PM

This kind of thread would probably belong in the dev and tech sub or the alternate clients depending on the specifics

Actually on second thought, this would have nothing to do with the client satoshi designed, so it would belong in alternate clients.

This is layer 2 technology. It has everything to do with the Satoshi client indirectly, and is an extension to Bitcoin Core. There will be a lot of questions and a lot of people asking about how to move Bitcoin to the secondary layer, should we finally be getting SegWit activated. You can already see topics about lightning popping up, even if it only works on testnet so far.

It will be a mess to coordinate anything layer 2 wise if there is no forum for it.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:41:30 PM

This is layer 2 technology. It has everything to do with the Satoshi client indirectly, and is an extension to Bitcoin Core. There will be a lot of questions and a lot of people asking about how to move Bitcoin to the secondary layer, should we finally be getting SegWit activated. You can already see topics about lightning popping up, even if it only works on testnet so far.

It will be a mess to coordinate anything layer 2 wise if there is no forum for it.
Armory interacts with Bitcoin Core, as do most SPV clients in one way or another. I don't think that is a good rationale to have threads in the dev and tech section.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16635

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 07:13:42 PM

I wanted to make a similar thread, but you beat me to it by 10 months!

Currently, many Lightning Network topics are popping up, the first page of Development & Technical Discussion already has 6:
Lightning Network: how to trace the path between the sending and receivin nodes?
Some Lightning channels up on mainnet. Should this be encouraged?
Lightning Network Channels
Lightning network - fast and low fees
User-Friendly Lightning Wallets
LN routed transaction settlement

Since LN is supposed to be the future of scaling, I think it deserves it's own board now. I would appreciate to have all information centralized, if possible with a few sticky topics that explain the basics (and maybe another topic that explains in-depth details).

Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1524

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 07:18:40 PM

Some of us are going to start testing the lightning network, aka. payment channels, as software is becoming ready for it. Since this is early days and people need to coordinate to connect by posting their url's and trying to open channels between each other, as we did back in the early days of Bitcoin, I would like to request for a payment channel forum to be created so that we can coordinate our efforts.

Since payment channels are completely different in the way the infrastructure works, and since they will experience their own set of challenges and issues, I think it would be great to have a forum dedicated to supporting them. One implementation is already working and we will soon have two more ready to go that will make all of them compatible.

Right now there is no forum that suits for talking about payment channels, and it will be a mix of Bitcoin main forum, dev talk and maybe even the altcoin section or off topic section.

Please consider giving a forum to testing what is arguably the most anticipated feature of Bitcoin ever!

I also think it is a great idea, but wouldn’t it be more precise to say that you request a new board? When I read the title I thought you were requesting a complete new forum, apart from this one and the other one in project.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: