Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:39:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ipay4bitcoin  (Read 1124 times)
yona (OP)

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:19:30 AM

here's an Idea.

In order to enable common use of bitcoin as currency I prepose a new barter concept.
Human exchanges.
As many people today carry smartphones with them it is possible to transfer bitcoins between two parties without much hassle, It is also possible to geotag one's location.
My proposition is an app that enables a person that needs to pay for a service to locate people who are ready to 'exchange' bitcoins in return for paying for that service [plus exchange fee].
The app could scan the location for potential 'exchangers' and their 'fee' and allow the person to contact the potential 'exchanger' in person. From that point one transfers bitcoins and the other pays for the service with cash, creditcard or any other method of payment.
Of course if both parties trust each other there is an option for 'distant exchange' which allows a person to pay via phone and credit card and receive bitcoins plus fee from trusted party.

For example. I eat in a restaurant, while eating i ask the app to search for a 'human exchange' willing to pay for my meal in the sum of 50$, the app scans my immediate surroundings for matches, it finds a couple of options  of people ready to pay 50$ for x mbitcoins [fee included], i choose the better option and press connect. That person is then sent a message to confirm his ability to come and facilitate the exchange. We meet and say hi, the app allows him to receive the bitcoin as he pays for the meal. We say goodbye and go our way.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:24:45 AM

localbitcoins.com
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:29:31 AM

localbitcoins.com

kind of. but i think the OP is more of live location data rather then a generalised town that a localbitcoin member lists when they register.

so if im at home, work or stopping at a petrol station it wil show a half mile radius my current location that way if there is 5 people in my town the customer will see the person closes to them in walking distance.

might be worth presenting this to localbitcoins as a new feature to add geolocating

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:23:09 AM

localbitcoins.com

kind of. but i think the OP is more of live location data rather then a generalised town that a localbitcoin member lists when they register.

so if im at home, work or stopping at a petrol station it wil show a half mile radius my current location that way if there is 5 people in my town the customer will see the person closes to them in walking distance.

might be worth presenting this to localbitcoins as a new feature to add geolocating

So localbitcoins.com, but with the added value of always-on stalking.
greyhawk

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:28:07 AM

localbitcoins.com

So localbitcoins.com, but with the added value of always-on stalking.

I like it. Just imagine installing this app and then not seeing a single person willing to trade for months on end. It's so inspiring. "Yes, and you can take those bitcoins you mine and you can trade them at - wait let me just show you on my app..." *tumbleweeds*
yona (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:33:25 AM

well, i think localbitcoins is a great service, i use it, but what i prepose is a mobile app, a facilitator for barter and social behaviour.
i see similarity, but the new behaviour i prepose is not trade for the sake of trade but barter/trade for the sake of liquidity.
the idea is not to invest in bit coins but rather to use them.
for instance it could help tourists save the exchange rates of buying more local currency or allow people to slowly adjust to the idea that bitcoins have worth.

the main problem i see with the service right now is that scarcity of users...

btw, i do agree that having geolocating on can offend some persons sense of privacy, but i have it on with various apps and truth is it can be used to track you regardless if it's on or not.
surebet

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:17:03 PM

So kinda like bitpay, but face to face to avoid tying your credit card to SR. Also you meet people or something.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:21:49 PM

so people will know where you are at all times. sounds like a lot of personal risk

ok
yona (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:09:59 AM

so people will know where you are at all times. sounds like a lot of personal risk

while the concept of 'trust' is trying to be substituted by math in this project, we can't avoid it completely. trust is needed in ant human contact. what i do want to avoid is trust in big organisations or banks.

but in the end, the currency is a form of exchange, and exchange will require trust no matter what.
greyhawk

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:12:22 AM

trust is needed in ant human contact.

Is that because of the size difference, the acid spray or both?
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:20:27 AM

Ants are notoriously untrustworthy
greyhawk

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:34:24 AM

Sounds like a racial stereotype to me.  Angry
surebet

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:21:21 PM

Sounds like a racial stereotype to me.  Angry

Especially with known talented contributors like Monster-Ant on these very forums.

For shame!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: