Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 08:43:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Price Stability  (Read 1271 times)
MadBanker (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:51:24 AM

It would be interesting to get people's thoughts on what will lead to a more stable BTC price. Thoughts please.... Thanks, Madbanker.
skrubalov

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:02:04 AM

We have to use other exchanges than mtgox. The crypto currency is decentralized, but the exchange isn't.
SpaceJunk

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:09:59 AM

Circulation -- likely through people with bitcoins buying more stuff with them.

People (usually) devotes only their surplus capital to investment. There's a less liquid base of capital they need for recurrent expenses which they won't trade around. For people in the bottom, when they get more capital they usually raise their expenses, not their investment. So circulating hoarded bitcoins into more hands will make them less traded, and more tied to the supply and demand of goods.

This is not a "redistribution", as hoarders are getting some kind of good in exchange for circulating their coins. It's just, maybe they need a bit more motivation to spend.
luckBOX

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:14:12 AM

Mtgox should buy more servers to protect against ddos attacks Wink
Chrisoldinho

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:36:34 AM

Will they ever do that?

Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=207526.0

BTC: 1Lx4N52ZWBJ2ieRudrrUGjec6RybBuGhVV
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:37:12 AM

Mtgox should buy more servers to protect against ddos attacks Wink
People should use other exchanges than MtGox.

I don't have any bad experience with MtGox myself (other than their fees being way too high) but it's better if we have more diversion and competition. Bitcoin is decentralized, and it's better for all of us if the exchange market is decentralized as well.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
soma13

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:50:38 AM

Wider adoption, more goods and services available, and more liquidity/circulation.  Bitcoin price is currently primarily speculative.  It's loosely tied to difficulty and cost per hash to mine, but with limited real world uses these hoarding and dumping cycles will likely continue as circulation is restricted and miners need those spikes to entice them into releasing their investment out into the wild.  More circulation means more liquidity, less spikes, and a price that better represents bitcoins true market cap and usefulness as a currency.
Russarch

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:16:26 PM

We have to use other exchanges than mtgox. The crypto currency is decentralized, but the exchange isn't.
Is exactly the right answer, Although I quite like the volatile market conditions tbh.
RossDoughty

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:43:21 PM

I think probably getting more of an acceptance from the general public and getting rid of the bad image that BTC seems to have attached to it.

In addition, more exchanges.
skrubalov

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:43:59 PM

We also need more online services that accept bitcoins.
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:47:53 PM

It's already stable. What caused the massive fluctuations was the press attention, but this is now over and what's left is a much more valuable, but stable, currency.

I think we can expect the BTC price to stay in the range of $100-$130 for months to come. Until the next bubble that is Smiley

mellt

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:55:49 PM

It's already stable. What caused the massive fluctuations was the press attention, but this is now over and what's left is a much more valuable, but stable, currency.

I think we can expect the BTC price to stay in the range of $100-$130 for months to come. Until the next bubble that is Smiley

I'm in agreement with this - the price of bitcoins has only gently fluctuated over the last couple of weeks - with any luck it'll now stay put
Passion_ltc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:58:57 PM

Well the volatility is increasing if Mt.Gox goes down. Even if this isn't as strong anymore as last week. The market learns that panic sells are useless. Smiley

I just hope that there will be a decentralized exchange market.

Coinus Maximus

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:19:44 PM

Liquidity will help, but if bitcoin becomes used for transactions, and transactional demand fluctuates with economic activity, then wont having a rigid supply always mean that it will be highly volatile?
soma13

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:47:34 PM

people will save bitcoins like cash but as demand to *use* bitcoins increases, the average price will increase and more miners will liquidate more of their holdings.  As the amount of circulating coins meets the demand the price will smooth with less spikes and "ringing".
MadBanker (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:05:17 PM

MMmmm well that prediction didn't pan out - only true for about 3 hours. But then I can say that as I have hindsight on my side.
Dawesom

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:30:36 PM

I think we just need more Bitcoin in circulation... Meaning just more people with Bitcoins, so that a large influx of people buying or selling wont have as big of an impact on the market.  That and I agree with the need of more quality exchanges. 
Underyx

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:06:31 PM

I don't see it happening anytime soon if the number of participants can move the market so much at this point even.
MadBanker (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:41:42 AM

So here are my thoughts:

1)   Greater use of futures trading - I believe academics have shown that where shocks come from the demand side this helps
2)   High frequency trading => Provides liquidity
3)   People doing arbitrage between exchanges, or simply trying to buy on the troughs and sell on the spikes
4)   More exchange competition & Better exchanges
5)   More participants, more places that accept them etc

The good thing is that all these will come over time if BTC keeps its nose clean, and doesn't do anything nasty  in its underwear.
JohnStamos

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:45:26 AM

im a very big fan of btc. i think 300+ it will be
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: