Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Strongcoin.com owner stole user money - are my Bitcoins safe online?  (Read 5659 times)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:19:12 PM

It's pretty close to true.  The hacker did spend them -- he was just tricked into sending them to the strongcoin operator.

No online wallet is 100% safe.

Let's do not play games. No online wallet is safe at all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eddyfitz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:20:46 PM

I wonder why guy who stole money from Graet put them into strongcoin?
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:23:21 PM

I wonder why guy who stole money from Graet put them into strongcoin?

I guess he was convinced too that Instawallet, Strongcoin, Blockchain.info are the best way to mix your coins. Yeah. And to loose them.

Anyhow, I think he still got away with BTC389 - not bad considering the mistake he did.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 10:44:43 PM

Utter bullshit. They can do whatever they want with your funds Sad
+1
I'm surprised how quiet things are around this, given the obvious and HUGE contradiction between claims and facts.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
anyroll

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:50:24 PM

Disgusts me, how can people be so greedy as to steal another persons investment...  Cry
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:47:45 AM

Disgusts me, how can people be so greedy as to steal another persons investment...  Cry

Strongcoin.com admin did the right thing - returning the funds to the legitimate owner, Graet and Ozcoin's miners.

But, the point still persists - how can they boldly claim that NO ONE can access to users funds when this is blatantly not true?

bitcoiningit

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:00:42 AM

If you want your bitcoins to be safe, then don't put them in an online wallet of any sort.
Keep them offline, dark, hidden, secret, my preccciouussss.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:07:53 AM

He did a good job by returning bitcoins to original owner but yes it shows His site is not secure, If one day he gets hacked, all customer can loose their bitcoins.

He sounds like a really nice guy but Money Can Corrupt A Good Person,if one day he decides to go rouge he can easily steal all money.
bitcoinminerz

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:19:26 AM

I don't really trust keeping bitcoins online for a long period of time. Why take the risk.
treesee

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:30:04 AM

sure, this is totally believable.
mr_john

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:51:03 AM

Strongcoin.com admin did the right thing - returning the funds to the legitimate owner, Graet and Ozcoin's miners.

But how could Strongcoin.com be sure that the owner of the strongcoin account was really the thief?

Maybe - unlikely but still possible - the holder of the strongcoin account bought this amount of bitcoins by cash (not knowing that they were stolen). He also is not obligated to tell the truth to the strongcoin admin of how he got the coins. So maybe strongcoin admin took away the coins from an honest owner.

All this is just speculation (and probably very unlikely), but I just want to make a point here. Strongcoin just lost all its trust by this action (imo).

john
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:55:27 AM

But how could Strongcoin.com be sure that the owner of the strongcoin account was really the thief?

Maybe - unlikely but still possible - the holder of the strongcoin account bought this amount of bitcoins by cash (not knowing that they were stolen). He also is not obligated to tell the truth to the strongcoin admin of how he got the coins. So maybe strongcoin admin took away the coins from an honest owner.

All this is just speculation (and probably very unlikely), but I just want to make a point here. Strongcoin just lost all its trust by this action (imo).

john

It seems that the proofs where quite credible.

Anyhow, we all know that it's not the admin of a service who has the right to decide and seize funds - that's authorities task.

I hope everybody takes this as an example of a very important lesson: never leave more than pocket change in third party services, regardless of how secure they seem (Google authenticator, Yubikey, whatever). And remember also that in the Bitcoin world, today's pocket change can be tomorrow's retirement money.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: