Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:44:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Strongcoin.com owner stole user money - are my Bitcoins safe online?  (Read 5659 times)
Lotuss (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:04:36 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 11:36:51 AM by Lotuss

Hello!

I first wanted to take this post in the Ozcoin thread, but maybe its best to give it an own thread. Not that I have a choice since I am newly registered Wink

So I have been following the latest weeks post in Ozcoin thread, where owner Graet got hacked and lost 923 BitCoins. It was posted to me by a friend that wanted to point out to me how there is much unsafty with bitcoins.
I told him that the problem was not with BitCoins as a system, but Graets lack in security and drew a parallel to people getting their cards skimmed or computers infected with a virus.
Since then People have "chased" the money, and debated about a system to catch stolen money.

Graets money seems to have ended up in a Strongcoin online Wallet according to this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14085.msg1910151#msg1910151 .

As I understand it owner of Strongcoin dogisland then stole this money from the alligated thief and returned it to Graet.

To be honest, I think this is a bigger issue then Graets first loss of money.

I am sorry for your loss Graet but as you said it was your own fault, leaving your system open to such a exploit.
But here dogisland, a "Bank" of bitcoins, took the matter in his own hand as #1 world police and hijacked one of his customers money and gave them to his friend (?) Graet.

What if dogisland one day decides to hijack all his customers money?

First I quote strongcoin.com's firstpage:
What is a hybrid wallet ?
A hybrid wallet allows you to send and receive Bitcoins just like any other wallet. However, the Bitcoin private key which is required to send money is encrypted in your browser before it reaches our servers.

Therefore our servers only hold encrypted private keys and neither we nor anyone else can spend your Bitcoins. Only you.

Only you. OR, well, dogisland also. And who know who else...?

I hope I have missed something essential here, does anyone care to explain..?

Edit: As a newbie I am not allowed to send messages. I hope someone that can would send them a PM asking them to answer here.
Edit2: Nametypo.

Best of wishes,
Lotus

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:09:11 AM

I hope I have missed something essential here

Graet, not Garet Wink
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:13:38 AM

Well, you got a point there actually. What happened to this? :

A hybrid wallet allows you to send and receive Bitcoins just like any other wallet. However, the Bitcoin private key which is required to send money is encrypted in your browser before it reaches our servers.

Therefore our servers only hold encrypted private keys and neither we nor anyone else can spend your Bitcoins. Only you.

Please do not use any online wallets if you value your coins. If strong coin.com was rooted, funds would be stolen easily from users despite that statement above.
Lotuss (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:37:03 AM

Graet, not Garet Wink

heh Wink Fixed! Sorry Graet!
Lotuss (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:47:35 PM

"but Graets lack in security and drew a parallel to people getting their cards skimmed or computers infected with a virus."
I'm sorry, but WHAT? What does this have anything to do with card skimming and viruses?
I drew the parallel between real life where people lose real money to skimming and viruses.
and that tts not the bitcoins faults that graet got hacked. its due to careless, its not the goverment or the bitcoins fault.

It's well known that online wallets are always vulnerable to hackings, and can be used to steal your bitcoins. Just because the Private key is encrypted in your browser means nothing. You can add one line of code to log the Private key. A sort of.. phisher, per-se.
To do this, the hacker would have to have enough time to gain knowledge on how the system works, which usually takes a while.

The statement "However, the Bitcoin private key which is required to send money is encrypted in your browser before it reaches our servers." means it's encrypted through HTTPS(SSL), so that anybody snooping on your network cannot steal your money.

Ok, its' only https?

Then the quote "neither we nor anyone else can spend your Bitcoins. Only you." from the homepage is a complete lie.

Badabing

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:57:56 PM

I am sorry for your loss Graet but as you said it was your own fault, leaving your system open to such a exploit.
But here dogisland, a "Bank" of bitcoins, took the matter in his own hand as #1 world police and hijacked one of his customers money and gave them to his friend (?) Graet.

You raise a valid question with regards to how the funds were transferred from your account, however, the lack of empathy and holier-than-thou tone of your post makes it sound more like "I hacked a website and stole funds. Then, someone sole them back and gave them to their original owner."

I'd be interested to see how external law enforcement would react to this sort of claim - especially considering the lack of recognition of BTC as currency, as far as I am aware. This is of course assuming that you are going to contact someone regarding this 'theft'; I assume you will, considering you lost close to USD$60K?

Let us know how you go.
QuiveringGibbage

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 02:35:38 PM

I just signed up for an account with StrongCoin.com. It's pretty neat.

1aQGjTHindCLvophoeu4kNsZMm7XzHgca

QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
Lotuss (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:43:08 PM

You raise a valid question with regards to how the funds were transferred from your account, however, the lack of empathy and holier-than-thou tone of your post makes it sound more like "I hacked a website and stole funds. Then, someone sole them back and gave them to their original owner."

I'd be interested to see how external law enforcement would react to this sort of claim - especially considering the lack of recognition of BTC as currency, as far as I am aware. This is of course assuming that you are going to contact someone regarding this 'theft'; I assume you will, considering you lost close to USD$60K?

Let us know how you go.

I am sorry to say I am only a observer, taking interest in BTCs lately, that tries to shine light on this situation from another perspective.

Probably since I am new to the scene I saw strongcoin.com with its professional website as a serious player, and I did not think such serious players would take law in their own hand and compromise its customers integrity and money so easily, without publishing any real proof.

I hope you can see how this endanger the reputation of bitcoin as a serious currency.
knedle

Activity: 99

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:55:46 PM

But what is the problem?

You were contacted by owner of StrongCoin and asked where did you get that money and to explain on the forums your involvement, which you didn't do. I think that right now best option is to contact Graet and talk with him, even meet somewhere IRL and show him the proof you are telling truth. That is of course if you have proof.
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Hello!

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:07:23 PM

If he just started stealing coins then I would think differently, but in this scenario he just saved a percentage of a fairly popular pools bitcoins. So I guess if you are going to steal bitcoins from people, don't trust sending them to this service after you do it. He will stop you from profiting from being a piece of shit.
Arvicco

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 05:17:04 PM

I am sorry to say I am only a observer, taking interest in BTCs lately, that tries to shine light on this situation from another perspective.

Sure, sure, this is totally believable. Someone just signs up out of nowhere, and their very first post on Bitcointalk is regarding this situation which in no way concerns them personally. No, it does not look like a disgruntled thief created a sock puppet account to vent their frustration about the lost spoils. Not at all.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:38:54 PM

Maybe it would be more valuable to forget wondering who is he and focus on what he says?
Even if he is the thief, I've never heard of this story before and I'm concerned about the
home-made justice made to this case, so somehow, I don't care from whom is the story
coming from.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
JohnsonX

Activity: 120

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

900 bitcoins is a fortune Shocked

I would never trust the online wallets.

muggerbee

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:21:14 PM

Sure, sure, this is totally believable. Someone just signs up out of nowhere, and their very first post on Bitcointalk is regarding this situation which in no way concerns them personally. No, it does not look like a disgruntled thief created a sock puppet account to vent their frustration about the lost spoils. Not at all.

I just started mining a week ago with Oz and so i've followed this very closely and all I can say is Lotuss P@wned Smiley  lmao
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:26:11 PM

Well, you got a point there actually. What happened to this? :

Please do not use any online wallets if you value your coins. If strong coin.com was rooted, funds would be stolen easily from users despite that statement above.
That's a blatant lie from Strongcoin then, unless not all of their wallets are hybrid wallets.
haveagr8day

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:49:38 PM

They could have done all of that with a JS change even without knowing the private keys.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle
Tips: 14pw9gn35ueAWHvdkesQV298QLPWGBESjs
FireBlazzer

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:37:58 PM

Graet, not Garet Wink

o.0 did you say garet???

(hides valuables)

Smiley
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:32:37 PM

Well, what happened to this?

How was dogisland able to "seize" those funds to return them back to Graet? Maybe he modified the site, so all the transaction originated by the thief went to an address controlled by him?

IMO this confirms again that shared wallet/third party services are insecure by nature and thus should be avoided, regardless of super strong passwords, encryption, 2 factor authorization, etc. etc. etc.

It's a pity because really secure third party services are need for BTC (for example for trading)

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:14:42 PM

So, no answer on this. Admin was able to "intercept" the funds as easily as stealing a candy to a baby. I really don't know how they can then write things like this:

Utter bullshit. They can do whatever they want with your funds Sad

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:17:55 PM

It's pretty close to true.  The hacker did spend them -- he was just tricked into sending them to the strongcoin operator.

No online wallet is 100% safe.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: