Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:35:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lost electrum password and seed  (Read 494 times)
thschr (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 09:32:43 AM

Hey all,
I am in the unfortunate situation that I managed to lose both my electrum password and seed. I have ~ 6btc in the wallet.
There are several possible password combinations I could have used, but can't retrieve. Is there anyone willing/able to help for a fair fee?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5033

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 09:39:12 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2017, 09:51:00 AM by mocacinno

Hey all,
I am in the unfortunate situation that I managed to lose both my electrum password and seed. I have ~ 6btc in the wallet.
There are several possible password combinations I could have used, but can't retrieve. Is there anyone willing/able to help for a fair fee?

Brute forcing the seed is impossible (well, nothing is impossible, but you'll burn more money in electricity than you would burn by mining the 6 BTC to begin with), but if you have the wallet file (make backups!!!) and a reasonable idear of what the password might be, there are brute force tools to brute force a wallet... The more info you can give about your password, the less time they take.

I'll look trough my bookmarks if i can find a link, and i'll update my post if i do.

EDIT: here you go Smiley
https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/

I've heared my positive things about this brute forcer, but your chances of success are exponentially related to how good your token file is, and how strong your password is/was (in other words: if you randomly brute force a 20 letter password, you have allmost no chance of success; if you know exacly which possible strings could have been used, and which ones might have been mistyped/capitalised, you have a reasonable chance of solving this)

EDIT2: a lot of people on this forum (me included) could potentially run this brute-force application for you, but you'd have to give them access to your wallet AND give them a lot of info about all possible passwords you use/used... If they succeed in brute forcing your pass, there's nothing stopping them from stealing all your funds, and since they now have access to your private key, you can never use this wallet ever again... Therefore, it might be wise to try this brute force application yourself to begin with, and only if you don't succeed find an EXTREMELY trusted person to help you out (i'm talking about multiple green trusts, actual trades, no password changes, no email changes,...)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 09:43:43 AM

I'd be trying passwords all day if I was you..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

Yeah, as mocacinno indicated, you have a good chance of recovery if you have a pretty good idea of what the password was by using brute force tools.

I've seen several other people have success with this in the past but it depends on how much you know about the password.

find an EXTREMELY trusted person to help you out (i'm talking about multiple green trusts, actual trades, no password changes, no email changes,...)

A bit off topic, but why does not changing your password make you more trusted? I'm assuming only because you can more likely guarantee that the account isn't controlled by someone else?

Good security practice does recommend changing your password every so often, so I'm not sure a changed password should lower someone's trust level as long as their posting style/etc haven't changed.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5033

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2017, 01:44:50 PM

A bit off topic, but why does not changing your password make you more trusted? I'm assuming only because you can more likely guarantee that the account isn't controlled by someone else?

Good security practice does recommend changing your password every so often, so I'm not sure a changed password should lower someone's trust level as long as their posting style/etc haven't changed.

I have the same idear about security, but i've seen so many hacked accounts lately, i only tend to trust the ones that haven't changed their password recently. If the email or password was changed, you should at least ask the user to sign a message with an old, staked address (just to be sure, you could also ask for a signed message, even if the password wasn't changed recently)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 02:58:07 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2017, 03:10:47 PM by HI-TEC99

Therefore, it might be wise to try this brute force application yourself to begin with, and only if you don't succeed find an EXTREMELY trusted person to help you out (i'm talking about multiple green trusts, actual trades, no password changes, no email changes,...)

There is a forum member called walletrecoveryservices who advertises a service for recovering passwords. He has both software, hardware, and expertise at it. However as mocacinno says it's best to try doing the job yourself. If you can't, and are considering using his service, then first check the feedback other people left at his trust rating page. It's mostly good, though there are a few negatives.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=130960

This is his bitcointalk thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240779.0

This is his website.

http://walletrecoveryservices.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: