Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:07:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: an introduction portal web site for total bitcoin newbies  (Read 4697 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 06:02:05 PM

Hi, Gang.

I just created.....  ( and am still creating... )  a portal site for total NEWBIES...    called  http://bitcoinme.com

Check it out and please give me any feedback you may have.

I just wanted to create a very simple, colorful, easy to read, easy to understand, introduction to Bitcoin.   It's intended to be very unbiased, and accurate.  At the same time, use very simple English so that every ordinary person on the street can understand how THEY could benefit from using Bitcoin, and how to easily get into it immediately.

Please pardon that the "Directory" listings are still very sparse.   (empty, in fact)...    I will be adding all the entries (I know of) to it today, as I have time.   (Please feel free to email me and let me know of any that I have missed and should include.)

Also, if you own any bitcoin-related domain names that are not really "being used" right now...  It would be terrific if you'd like to REDIRECT them to bitcoinme.com   ....for now.

Bruce  ●  646-580-0022  ●  bruce@brucewagner.com  

PS - The email address listed all over the site, email@bitcoinme.com is not yet working.  I'm on the phone with Arvixe.com right now.  In the meantime, please use bruce@brucewagner.com if you want to email me. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 06:16:50 PM

Instead of saying there are no transaction fee, you should say "Transaction fee are OPTIONAL. Sending bitcoins can be as free as sending an email. If you want your transaction done faster, you can DETERMINE any price you're willing to pay. The higher the faster."

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2010, 06:23:09 PM

Instead of saying there are no transaction fee, you should say "Transaction fee are OPTIONAL. Sending bitcoins can be as free as sending an email. If you want your transaction done faster, you can DETERMINE any price you're willing to pay. The higher the faster."

This sounds a little worse and doesn't even have the benefit of being correct right now.

No fee = 100% fee in terms of speed right now.

Maybe:

"Transactions are free now, in the future free transactions may become slower as transactions with fees will be given priority."

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 06:27:14 PM

"Digital commodity" down below contradicts the first paragraph.

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 06:27:44 PM

I like it. I think I will send this link to those who ask me what a bitcoin is.

I don't want to nitpick a nice page like that, but is exchanging bitcoins to 'normal cash' is implying that bitcoins are 'abnormal'?  I describe to my friends that the current exchange rate is available at MtGox, not the current value. I try to be specific, as the value of a bitcoin will get you 'X lbs' of coffee for instance.

Very nice page, I'll use it. Thank you.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 06:29:15 PM

"Transactions are free now, in the future free transactions may become slower as transactions with fees will be given priority."

Somehow that sounds like "Bitcoin is great right now, but in the future it will be slow and expensive."

Why not keep it simple and honest and just say "Most Bitcoin transactions are free."

Overall, it's a very well-written piece.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:44:53 PM

Thanks.  Smiley   You guys rock.

"Digital commodity" down below contradicts the first paragraph.

Yes, it sure does... right?   Of course, I meant...  "FOR LEGAL PURPOSES.... we call it a digital commodity."      However, I wanted imply that... that it was for LEGAL reasons.... and I tried to be careful not to SAY anything about legal issues, or how governments will consider it.  I am no legal expert.  I just wanted to sort of say:   "Some of us call it a 'digital commodity'.... so that only laws and regulations regarding selling virtual goods should apply...  not regulations regarding 'real' money."

Maybe it's not clear.   But I felt the need to NOT give any legal advice....   Only my opinion.    Thus:   "We call it ____________..."

I like it. I think I will send this link to those who ask me what a bitcoin is.

I don't want to nitpick a nice page like that, but is exchanging bitcoins to 'normal cash' is implying that bitcoins are 'abnormal'?  I describe to my friends that the current exchange rate is available at MtGox, not the current value. I try to be specific, as the value of a bitcoin will get you 'X lbs' of coffee for instance.

Very nice page, I'll use it. Thank you.

People believe, "If it's not on TV, it's not real."     I just called it "normal currency"...  in the sense of...  "the paper bills in your pocket now".

In the interest of keeping things VERY simple...   I'm sure I have used language that may not be 1000% technically accurate.   But my intention was to write something that my mother could read...  and instantly understand what I'm explaining.   My mother would not care about the technical details.   She just wants to understand the basics.... in the simplest terms.

I knew the claim that "Bitcoin usage and transactions are always free." .....would be controversial.   But did you notice that I linked the word "free" directly to the Bitcoin.org FAQ... where it states:   "Bitcoin transactions are practically free."

At the same time, I certainly don't want it to be inaccurate or misleading.   I also don't want it to sound like a terrible (WORSE) alternative to PayPal...

So, perhaps I should add a footnote to "free"......   like: 

"* The system includes the capability to add a tiny fee to any transaction for super-fast processing.  However, almost all users consider the use of that feature unnecessary.  And, it would normally be no more than US $0.01  Also, it is completely OPTIONAL, and always will be."

Is that technically accurate?

Thanks, Guys!    Smiley
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:49:26 PM

"* The system includes the capability to add a tiny fee to any transaction for super-fast processing.  However, almost all users consider the use of that feature unnecessary.  And, it would normally be no more than US $0.01  Also, it is completely OPTIONAL, and always will be."

Is that technically accurate?

Probably soon every transaction will require at least a 0.01 fee to clear in a reasonable time.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:54:26 PM

I dislike the idea of hiding it, plus it can be phrased in way that doesn't seem all that bad.

"You can make transaction goes faster by paying a fee so that people will want to process yours ahead of everyone else. Pay higher, the higher priority."

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2010, 08:22:53 PM

Adding a fee will not make your transaction any faster right now. It will give it higher priority now, and in the future this will translate to faster.

It is misleading to suggest that you can pay some amount to have your transaction included any sooner than the next block.

Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 10:26:52 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2010, 10:59:06 PM by brucewagner

Adding a fee will not make your transaction any faster right now. It will give it higher priority now, and in the future this will translate to faster.

It is misleading to suggest that you can pay some amount to have your transaction included any sooner than the next block.

Wow.    See ...   If that's true...   and the fee will always be optional anyway...    Then I think it's misleading to say anything that implies that transactions are NOT free.  

How bout:  

"Transactions are free, and always will be.   In the future, as the network grows in usage, you will have the OPTION of paying a very small amount (like US$0.01, for example), to give your transaction higher priority in processing.  In the future,  that will result in even faster processing of your transaction.  At this time, with the current size of the network, this optional amount will have no speed benefit at all, because transactions are already processing as fast as possible."

I don't even know HOW to add a fee.   How do you do that??

By the way...   Did anyone notice that every picture on the site is a button?

I designed it with smartphones in mind.  If you bookmark BitcoinMe.com on your Android or iPhone, you can use it as a mobile portal for all things bitcoin.   Each picture links to a different key site, like:   Bitcoin Forum,  MtGox,  MyBitcoin,  Trade Data, BitcoinBuy.com, BitcoinShop.com, BitcoinAddress.com, the Bitcoin FAQ, and even the Bitcoin IRC....

Every picture is large enough to easily tap with your thumb... if you're using your phone's web browser.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 11:35:35 PM

"Birthdays come around for all your friends and family...  You know this because Facebook never fails to remind you.  Email Someone a few Bitcoins for their Birthday.   It's a great way to give a gift... while promoting the use of Bitcoin at the same time.   The easiest way:  Create a free account at MtGox.com then just log on to your MtGox account and just click the Send Money button.  You can send Bitcoin to anyone with an email address.  A link will be emailed to the recipient with instructions on how to claim their Bitcoin gift.  (Don't worry, if they never claim it, the Bitcoin will eventually get returned to your MyGox account.)   Then, in a message to your friend, be sure to tell them to read all about Bitcoin at BitcoinMe.com"

Things may have changed, but I'm pretty sure that this is inaccurate.  There is the possibility of expiring transactions, but the scripting process is not yet operational.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 12:01:25 AM

Things may have changed, but I'm pretty sure that this is inaccurate.  There is the possibility of expiring transactions, but the scripting process is not yet operational.

You mean the part about the funds being "returned to sender" after a certain period of time that they've gone unclaimed...? 

I got that information directly from Jed at MtGox.  I hope it works this way.  That's what he told me.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 12:25:27 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2010, 12:49:47 AM by brucewagner

Ok.     Here's what I've got as two footnotes...

* Users have the OPTION of paying a very tiny fee (like $0.01 for example) to receive "priority processing" of their transaction.  In the future, this should result in faster processing of their transaction.  (In fact, the system is designed so that transactions that pay $0.02 fee will have even higher priority than transactions that pay a $0.01 optional fee.)  However, at this point, with the current transactional volume of the network, paying this optional fee will have no effect whatsoever - because every transaction is already processing as fast as technically possible.  Note that, even in the future, all transactions that do Not pay the optional "priority processing fee" will still be processed.  For more technical details about this, see Bitcoin.org

Ŧ Transactions that take place from one MtGox.com account to another, or from one MyBitcoin.com account to another, happen instantly... and are instantly "cleared" and irreversible.  Transactions coming from the Bitcoin network at large can take longer.  The longer time you allow, the more "confirmations" the network gives.  Most sites allow up to one hour before they consider a transaction coming from the Bitcoin network at large, to be "absolutely cleared".

True?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 02:01:31 AM

Ok.     Here's what I've got as two footnotes...

* Users have the OPTION of paying a very tiny fee (like $0.01 for example) to receive "priority processing" of their transaction.  In the future, this should result in faster processing of their transaction.  (In fact, the system is designed so that transactions that pay $0.02 fee will have even higher priority than transactions that pay a $0.01 optional fee.)  However, at this point, with the current transactional volume of the network, paying this optional fee will have no effect whatsoever - because every transaction is already processing as fast as technically possible.  Note that, even in the future, all transactions that do Not pay the optional "priority processing fee" will still be processed.  For more technical details about this, see Bitcoin.org

Excellent.

Ŧ Transactions that take place from one MtGox.com account to another, or from one MyBitcoin.com account to another, happen instantly... and are instantly "cleared" and irreversible.  Transactions coming from the Bitcoin network at large can take longer.  The longer time you allow, the more "confirmations" the network gives.  Most sites allow up to one hour before they consider a transaction coming from the Bitcoin network at large, to be "absolutely cleared".

True?

True.  Transactions within Bitcoin institutions occur internally, and don't require a transaction to be processed by the network or recorded in the blockchain.  It is also likely that most future users will choose to do things this way, in the same manner that banks are used today, for the convience of end users.  But the end user will always have the option of going it alone.

Of course, as with a deposit in a bank, that balance is only a record upon that institution's electronic "books".  If there were ever anything that went wrong, such as a hack of a major site, the user's of that site could lose everything.  If so, their dispute would be with the institution and not the bitcoin network, but some may not view it so.

EDIT:  Mybitcoin.com uses 4 user group pools, each with it's own wallet.dat, so internal transfers between users of different pools would still require a transaction processed by the network. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 02:09:27 AM

"Transactions are free, and always will be.   In the future, as the network grows in usage, you will have the OPTION of paying a very small amount (like US$0.01, for example), to give your transaction higher priority in processing.  In the future,  that will result in even faster processing of your transaction.  At this time, with the current size of the network, this optional amount will have no speed benefit at all, because transactions are already processing as fast as possible."

I like that.

Good work all around, btw.

I don't even know HOW to add a fee.   How do you do that??

If you try to send a transaction that has more than like 500 inputs it will give you a warning and then attach the fee for you. I think you have the option to add a fee using the headless client.

In the future the client will be modified to let you choose the fee easily. Hopefully some data about average confirm times with various fees will be available too (in the client or not).

bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 02:15:32 AM

Russian community can translate this page into russian when you agree about content.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 02:18:20 AM

Russian community can translate this page into russian when you agree about content.

That is SOOOoooo cool!    Awesome.   I will set up a Russian language "sister site" for that purpose.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 02:21:14 AM

That is SOOOoooo cool!    Awesome.   I will set up a Russian language "sister site" for that purpose.

It is not necessary and it may affect simplicity.

Your web server Apache is able to automatically determine the user's language and give a page on his preferred language.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 11:20:49 AM

"...Don't worry, if they never claim it, the Bitcoin will eventually get returned to your MyGox account..."

MtGox sends out an email. If the recipient of the email has/creates a MtGox account and claims the funds, MtGox processes the transfer. Otherwise MtGox returns the funds to the originator's MtGox account.

No bitcoin transaction is created, so the issue of expiring transactions doesn't apply here.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: