Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:05:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: an introduction portal web site for total bitcoin newbies  (Read 4692 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 22, 2010, 07:49:52 PM

Your web server Apache is able to automatically determine the user's language and give a page on his preferred language.

I don't use my own Apache server for this...  I use a simple WYSISYG web site design and hosting service.  That makes it much easier and faster for me to create, and make ongoing updates to, any web site I create.... nearly instantly.

I've now created LANGUAGE links at the top of http://bitcoinme.com which take you to a page asking for help in translating the site.  Soon, I will have an alternate language site set up for each one of the languages...  which YOU  ( the user community )  can help perfect the translation of.   I'll wait a little bit, to make sure that we don't make any MAJOR changes to the text for a while...   Then, I'll create a new COPY of the original English site for every language.  (Did I miss any key languages, by the way?)   Then, the translation project  ( from English --> Your language )  can begin.   

I like the idea of a natively translated site for each language, because automated translation, though convenient, is far from perfect.   We like perfect.  Smiley

If we want Bitcoin to catch fire in popularity, then the common ordinary people of the world -- walking down the street in your city -- need to be able to read it and understand it... in their own native language, and in simple (non-technical) terminology.

MtGox sends out an email. If the recipient of the email has/creates a MtGox account and claims the funds, MtGox processes the transfer. Otherwise MtGox returns the funds to the originator's MtGox account.  No bitcoin transaction is created, so the issue of expiring transactions doesn't apply here.

That sounds great to me.   I like the way that works.   I like that it's an instantaneous transaction...  and I like that the transaction never happens, and the funds remain in the sender's account, if the recipient never claims them.  That's how it SHOULD work.  (Though bitcoinmail.com offers a nice service, I don't like how all moneys are automatically converted into DONATIONS to that site after 14 days. Un-cool, IMHO.)

Question One for you guys:    Yes or No.    Do you like the addition of the video to the top of the Home page at http://bitcoinme.com ?

Question Two:   Who else wants to volunteer to work on translations of the site into your own native language?

Question Three:   Who here is willing to be listed as a person "willing to sell Bitcoins for cash, in person" in your own city?   (Of course, you can charge any commission fee you choose)  ....and thus be listed on the  http://bitcoinbuy.com  directory?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2010, 08:29:43 PM

The site looked really clean and professional in kind of a casual way. Xtranormal video ruins that imo. Hide it somewhere, words are quicker for an introduction and less distracting anyway.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

November 22, 2010, 11:14:05 PM

The site looked really clean and professional in kind of a casual way. Xtranormal video ruins that imo. Hide it somewhere, words are quicker for an introduction and less distracting anyway.

Thats what bitcoinmedia.com is for  -   Smiley

Maybe on the "about" page would be a better position?
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 22, 2010, 11:26:42 PM

We need a human to explain what bitcoin is on a video... I'll make a bounty.

One off NP-Hard.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
November 22, 2010, 11:33:47 PM

We need a human to explain what bitcoin is on a video... I'll make a bounty.

Done http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1890.0

One off NP-Hard.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2010, 11:44:47 PM

Awesome....    Great idea.

Also...  I do agree with you guys.   I moved the video to its own page, here:  http://www.bitcoinme.com/bitcoin---the-movie.html

That way it's still available under the  MORE  menu... and as its own URL....   But it doesn't detract from the "professionalism"  (is there any? lol)  of the site.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 12:01:15 AM

We don't need yet another poorly done video or machinima, we need a "Bitcoin for Dummies" PDF, or YouTube narrated slideshow (PowerPoint + audio -> youtube).

Something that explains bitcoin using simple terms and simple comparisons to well-known concepts (cash, credit card, gold, banks).  Your average user doesn't need to grok details of P2P or cryptography to receive a basic understanding of bitcoin.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 12:10:16 AM

A movie of this caliber would do bitcoin a very good service:

Check out the quality of this explanation of 'groupon'

http://vimeo.com/2112924
Anonymous

November 23, 2010, 12:12:15 AM

http://www.commoncraft.com/augmented-reality-video

I like the work they do at commoncraft. I think we should pool all these bounties into one pile and get them to create a bitcoin explanation video.

If anyone could explain it easily it would be them.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2010, 01:30:51 AM

Please, change language switcher for russian language from "Poccию" to "Pyccкий"

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2010, 09:47:36 AM

Bruce, I think text on page is need of proof-reading . The fact that it suspiciously large number of three dots and the characters like "+" etc...

English is not my native language but it seems to me that something is wrong here.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2010, 01:38:49 PM

In English, it is written in a very casual style.  It's written in a style exactly the way we would speak it in a very informal conversation.  I believe that that makes it easier to read for non-technical average people. 

We do need it translated into many different languages.  If you're interested in helping, please send me an email to email@bitcoinme.com
dduane

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2011, 05:18:18 AM

I've set up a set of Powerpoint slides at http://bitcoinbasics.com  that I'll be using at an Ignite conference, it has some other
info about Potomacs, Washington, DC's local currency. I'll clean these slides up and remove the Potomac info at some point but I hope this helps for anyone who is
looking to teach about Bitcoin.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3797

View Profile
January 28, 2011, 07:21:03 PM

None of the pictures have been showing up at http://bitcoinme.com for a few weeks now. I PM'd Bruce about it a while back but no change.

Hal Finney
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2011, 07:33:57 PM

Yes--he said there's some kind of hosting issue.  I donated to support this site since it is an essential bitcoin-for-real-people resource, crucial to driving adoption.  If we can all chip in a little bit as incentive to get those images working again maybe it would help Smiley .

sincerely,
eMansipater

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: