Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:36:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][PRA] Practice Coin - Learn by Doing  (Read 8315 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tearodactyl (OP)

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 01:17:30 AM

Very cool. Would love to learn. What can we do so far to help ? Will you give people coins to learn by making transactions. It would be nice for beginners. Its a great idea.

Herbert, thanks.  Once we nail down what kinda coin type to work on, and with what parameters, I can talk about some "bounties" for participation on the forum, rewards for developers, etc. When the testnet is launched, there will be rewards for running nodes, miners, a mining pool. And for generating testnet transactions, particularly if done repeatedly from a script or a program, so we can try out transaction rates of once a second or faster.

So far, I have recent instructions on how to mod the code generated by Build-a-Coin service.
Also, instructions from two years ago on how to mod Litecoin, plus all those even older guides, about Bitcoin and Litecoin.

Still planning to order the Walletbuilders "product" for 0.05 BTC, to find out exactly what they provide. Thinking that for starters it will be Scrypt PoW, with the block rate of 6 min (10/hour, 240/day) and block reward of 100 PRA, for the ease of thinking about it. Push reward halfing way out, like 10 years, for the same reason. Tune parameters just a touch from the usual.

As to what one can dig into, I've been capturing a list of suggestions, beyond what's been documented so far
http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/04/reader-suggestions/

Tearo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 09:04:00 PM

Any update?🤓

Finally got an AWS instance running, and managed to connect to it with Putty (they don't make it easy).
Now figuring out what 'seed' and 'DNS seed' nodes are about.
  Tearo
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2017, 09:48:33 PM

This aint looking good. Too funky for my liking. Im not reading about it anymore, got much better things to do. But here is a piece of advice from me: look at cellulite coin and the progress it has made within past months. Its full of innovations and resembles all things that matter as its created by gospel singers for people that value cold robust tech and nothing besides that. Note that cellulite coin is currently targeting eth cap.

Mang Li

Activity: 327

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 09:57:25 PM

So, I'm jealous.

Everyone seems to have an Altcoin these days, so I want one too.

Thanks,
  Tearo

what is this ?
practice coin,, a coin that build from learning or because from other reason ?  Huh

here is the funniest reason

just because of your jealous than you make a new coin ?

Belligerent Fool
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 11:44:40 PM

Any update?🤓

Finally got an AWS instance running, and managed to connect to it with Putty (they don't make it easy).
Now figuring out what 'seed' and 'DNS seed' nodes are about.
  Tearo

They are pretty much the same thing, they allow you to connect to the wallet and sync without making a .conf or using addnode=

You will also want to read up on what pnSeed is and does to be thorough
Kang TB

Activity: 1050
Merit: 250

Revolutionizing Reward Points

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 12:27:45 AM

So, I'm jealous.

Thanks,
  Tearo

what is this ?
practice coin,, a coin that build from learning or because from other reason ?  Huh

Lol , just because of that you make this coin,,
you must prepare all the thing to create a new cryptocurrency

SHREW
     ▄███▄          ▄███▄             
    ███████         ▀▀███▌             
   ▐███████▌▄▄███████▄▄ ▀▀             
    ▀████████████████████▄             
      ▀█████████▀ ▄▄ ▀██████▄▄         
     ▐██████████▄ ▀▀ ▄██████████▄▄▄▄   
     ██████████████████████████████████
     ▐██████████████████████████▀▀▀▀   
      ▐███████████████████▀▀           
        ███████▀███████▀               
     ▄█  ████▀ ▄ ▀████  █▄             
    ███ ▐█▀  ▄███▄  ▀█▌ ▐██           
   ███     ▄███████▄     ███           
  ▐███   ▄▄ ▀▀███▀▀ ▄▄   ███▌         
  ▐████▄ ▀███▄▄ ▄▄███▀ ▄████▌         
   ▀█████▄ ▐███ ███▌ ▄█████▀           
     ▀████▌ ▐██ ██▌ ▐████▀             
        ▀▀           ▀▀                
DISCOUNTED
PRE-SALE
LIVE NOW !
      ████
  ███
 ███
 ███
███
███
███
███
 ███
 ███
  ███
   ████
   Revolutionizing
         Reward Points  
████
  ███
   ███
   ███
    ███
    ███
    ███
    ███
   ███
   ███
  ███
████
       ▄███▄          ▄███▄             
    ███████         ▀▀███▌             
   ▐███████▌▄▄███████▄▄ ▀▀             
    ▀████████████████████▄             
      ▀█████████▀ ▄▄ ▀██████▄▄         
     ▐██████████▄ ▀▀ ▄██████████▄▄▄▄   
     ██████████████████████████████████
     ▐██████████████████████████▀▀▀▀   
      ▐███████████████████▀▀           
        ███████▀███████▀               
     ▄█  ████▀ ▄ ▀████  █▄             
    ███ ▐█▀  ▄███▄  ▀█▌ ▐██           
   ███     ▄███████▄     ███           
  ▐███   ▄▄ ▀▀███▀▀ ▄▄   ███▌         
  ▐████▄ ▀███▄▄ ▄▄███▀ ▄████▌         
   ▀█████▄ ▐███ ███▌ ▄█████▀           
     ▀████▌ ▐██ ██▌ ▐████▀             
        ▀▀           ▀▀                

BUY SHREW

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:18:29 AM

So, I paid my hard-earned 0.05BTC and got a drop of the Walletbuilders product.
If you are curious, or want to help me with some due diligence on it, drop me a line, please.
Binaries provided do pass a virus scan Smiley
Building from source now, on Ubuntu.
  Tearo
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 08:16:16 PM

So, I paid my hard-earned 0.05BTC and got a drop of the Walletbuilders product.
If you are curious, or want to help me with some due diligence on it, drop me a line, please.
Binaries provided do pass a virus scan Smiley
Building from source now, on Ubuntu.
A tiny step for a typical Altcoin, but a huge leap in my learning process. No technology innovation here, as promised, only flattening the learning curve Smiley

practicecoind and practicecoin-qt built pretty much out-of-the-box on Ubuntu 16.04. Meaning it took me about two hours to find all the relevant snippets of instructions and get it done and smoketested. Do note that I've already built all kinds of Bitcoin and Zcash derivatives on this box, plus Litecoin, just before starting. So all the dependencies were already in place and the typical build steps were very familiar.

Yet to brave the Windows build, or even to look at the instructions.

Scrypt cpuminer2.4.5 needed an updated version of CURL, but then built fine. That and getting all the configuration options right took another two hours. But, the chain is running and mining. Though, not convinced that default Walletbuilders seeding works. Let me do a tad more due diligence and can provide access for private screenings.

Yet to look into how one sets up a mining pool, or a block explorer, or a seeder or a full node or a CPU miner inside a VPS instance. At some point will look into Docker and Google Cloud, and a smaller VPS provider, but AWS first.

I'm tempted to wait till after the Windows port is accomplished and all the other obligatory goodies just mentioned are in place, but can be very easily convinced otherwise, to solicit feedback and get help and schooling right away.
  Tearo
Herbet Fry

Activity: 812
Merit: 253

●Social Crypto Trading●

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 01:08:27 AM

Very cool. Would love to learn. What can we do so far to help ? Will you give people coins to learn by making transactions. It would be nice for beginners. Its a great idea.

Herbert, thanks.  Once we nail down what kinda coin type to work on, and with what parameters, I can talk about some "bounties" for participation on the forum, rewards for developers, etc. When the testnet is launched, there will be rewards for running nodes, miners, a mining pool. And for generating testnet transactions, particularly if done repeatedly from a script or a program, so we can try out transaction rates of once a second or faster.

So far, I have recent instructions on how to mod the code generated by Build-a-Coin service.
Also, instructions from two years ago on how to mod Litecoin, plus all those even older guides, about Bitcoin and Litecoin.

Still planning to order the Walletbuilders "product" for 0.05 BTC, to find out exactly what they provide. Thinking that for starters it will be Scrypt PoW, with the block rate of 6 min (10/hour, 240/day) and block reward of 100 PRA, for the ease of thinking about it. Push reward halfing way out, like 10 years, for the same reason. Tune parameters just a touch from the usual.

As to what one can dig into, I've been capturing a list of suggestions, beyond what's been documented so far
http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/04/reader-suggestions/

Tearo

Alright that sounds good. I have always wondered what those guys are offering. Is running a node profitable ? Early reward coins for me are the best. I say let the dumper dump I will collect and wait.

tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:27:17 AM

Alright that sounds good. I have always wondered what those guys are offering. Is running a node profitable?
Herbet, right now running transaction validating and forwarding nodes does not pay directly, for any of the cryptocurrencies. Where is can help one's mining or transaction processing, it could be useful, but not as a standalone service to the network.

This is shortsighted, and I want to develop this ability, but do not know how one would do that automatically. ZClassic folks talk about such a feature. Any other places we can look for discussion, or better yet some code?
  Walter
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:34:35 AM

Scrypt cpuminer2.4.5 needed an updated version of CURL, but then built fine. That and getting all the configuration options right took another two hours. But, the chain is running and mining. Though, not convinced that default Walletbuilders seeding works. Let me do a tad more due diligence and can provide access for private screenings.
For a time the miner created a situation that produced an error from the node, rejecting the block:
  coinbase timestamp is too early
Had to restart both programs, but yet to follow-up.
  Tearo
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 06:55:59 PM

For a time the miner created a situation that produced an error from the node, rejecting the block:
  coinbase timestamp is too early
Had to restart both programs, but yet to follow-up.
  Tearo
Don't like the operation of the difficulty adjusting mechanism. It appears to be changing every block, or thereabouts, but then swings from blocks accepted every 10-15 sec, and then taking a break for a couple of minutes. From the page on their site for this distribution, it seems that Walletbuilders compiled in 64 sec block target, though I remember asking for 6 min (10/hour) blocks.

In the beginning of the initial run there were two ERROR messages:
 generated block is stale
Upon restart of the processes, hours later there were a dozen "stale" messages
And, some hours into the run, eight "timestamp too early" ones, though it seemingly recovered.

So, the interaction between the miner and the node, perhaps in the difficulty settings or some other timing related thing is off periodically. Don't like it, and not sure at all that I want to debug this codebase. Will do a little more work on launching in the cloud and may bail and go to building and running and modding Litecoin code.

Was looking to launch a stable chain that we can use among ourselves to award bounties and rewards with, but Walletbuilders may not be it. At this point also leery about spending time on the Build-a-Coin generated code, even though do have instructions on how to mod it. Anyone cares, or wants to take part?
  Tearo
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 10:49:02 PM

Was looking to launch a stable chain that we can use among ourselves to award bounties and rewards, but Walletbuilders may not be it. At this point also leery about spending time on the Build-a-Coin generated code, even though do have instructions on how to mod it. Anyone cares, or wants to take a look?
Related posts: http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/12/walletbuilders/
http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/04/free-cryptocoin-creator-build-coin/
Switching to work on Litecoin codebase directly.
  Tearo
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 11:55:50 PM

Soliciting input regarding PoW difficulty re-targeting generally, and in the context of Litecoin specifically.
http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/12/difficulty-re-targeting/
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 08:51:11 PM

I think you should try to clone ethereum, it's easy coin to clone and people who not familiar with tech love it very much.
I never cloned it myself, but it's looks like all you need is to generate new genesis_block.json.
There is some instructions for ethereum on genesis generation.
https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/07/27/final-steps/
Probably I'm wrong and some other important steps required for cloning ethereum, it would be fine if some dev shows up and help with it.
You can start little crowdfunding too, I will pay $100 in btc personally to first guy who will make a long youtube video with complete step-by-step guide for people not familiar with programming and crypto on cloning ethereum and running it as a new coin*.
*hardcoded checkpoints creation should be mentioned, since mysterious '51 Crew' usually bother to attack all new ethereum clones

dfd1, I may not be your guy, to make the video, but as much as I've avoided Ethereum so far, it is THE Altcoin, and all the cool kids are all over it  Wink
More than happy to cover half of that 0.01 BTC bounty you are suggesting, for the Ethereum cloning guide.
Made a list of suggestions from the readers so far http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/04/reader-suggestions/
  Tearo

dfd1, the link you cite is kinda dated. Have you seen more?

To bounty this work, we need to spec exactly what we expect, perhaps also including what's already covered here and there, plus this and that and diagrams other things and references and links Smiley

PPT and video released under the BY-SA Creative Commons Licence, where they get attribution. Bragging rights and a link from our soon-to-be-famous practicecoin.com site are also included.

How about we frame it in terms familiar to the ETH bunch - each pitch in 1 ETH, which just happens to be around $50. I have a dozen or so ETH somewhere, from before the DAO incident. Where could we advertise the bounty, for the right folks to see it? I bet them ETH freaks would want to use a smart contract escrow for this Wink
  Tearo
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 09:59:30 PM

Review of CryptoLife service offering
http://practicecoin.com/index.php/2017/04/13/cryptolife/
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2017, 11:25:57 PM

So, I'm jealous.

Thanks,
  Tearo

what is this ?

Lol , just because of that you make this coin,,
you must prepare all the thing to create a new cryptocurrency

Cant see a relationship between jealousy and a desperate craving to make another headless shitcoin. In 2015, we had much more icos, more page views, more posting in the threads. See forum stats to have a better understanding of what has changed since then. The purpose of a coin is to make money, nobody creates them for the sake of creating. Making the one takes roughly 4 hours.

Bambalam

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 03:21:52 AM

Reserved.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬Mysterium Network▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
Decentralized   VPN   powered   by   Blockchain
JOIN THE ICO ▬▬▬ JOIN THE DISCUSSION
tearodactyl (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 03:20:27 PM

Status update:
Cloning the latest version of Litecoin - 0.13.2.1
All the guides are at least two years old and the codebase has been evolving.
The code is compiling now on Linux, but the Genesis block generation is still broken. Will keep you posted.
Any technical suggestions welcome, if they are based on the Bitcoin / Litecoin versions 0.12 or later.
  Tearo
Belligerent Fool
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 07:24:17 AM

Status update:
Cloning the latest version of Litecoin - 0.13.2.1
All the guides are at least two years old and the codebase has been evolving.
The code is compiling now on Linux, but the Genesis block generation is still broken. Will keep you posted.
Any technical suggestions welcome, if they are based on the Bitcoin / Litecoin versions 0.12 or later.
  Tearo

Pretty sure that part has been vacant from The Official Bitcoin And Litecoin repos for some time, you can see on many altcoins what needs to be added and changed.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: