Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:30:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the Gemini Bitcoin Exchange be trusted with my finances?  (Read 2318 times)
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:00:30 PM

I had a quarter of a BTC and like a dumbass, sold it at $800, JUST before the prices boomed to over $1000.  And then, for a double dose of dumbassedness on my part, I could have used that money to buy Ethereums for under $9 each, this was in mid-December 2016......... Roll Eyes

Between that money and some other money, I have several hundred bucks in my Gemini account, waiting to purchase a BTC or two the next time the price takes a big dip.

I'm just wondering what experiences others have had with Gemini.  Can I trust them to hold my money in US Dollars until I get ready to buy again?

As near as I can tell, they are the most reputable BTC exchange and are also American based.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:06:07 PM

They have a banking charter which I believe will include insurance for your USD in case they fail. Not too sure about the coins themselves. I doubt there's anywhere more legit than there but that isn't really saying too much when it comes to Bitcoin infrastructure.
Traderx

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 04:10:02 PM

yes it's a big exchange go ahead and deposit, almot all recent exchange are safe, but don't deposit everything and not a big amount
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:15:22 AM

They have a banking charter which I believe will include insurance for your USD in case they fail. Not too sure about the coins themselves. I doubt there's anywhere more legit than there but that isn't really saying too much when it comes to Bitcoin infrastructure.
Fiat funds are fully insured, but that's not the case when it comes to the digital assets people store there. Not sure why they don't offer insurance for coins as well, but that's what the situation is right now.

Other than that, from what I read on their site they do take cold storage very serious, which is always a plus. Nowadays inside jobs are a bigger problem than hackers are. Long story short ~ nothing wrong with this exchange.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:31:07 AM

Not sure why they don't offer insurance for coins as well, but that's what the situation is right now.

I'd like to see any of the supposed coin insurance policies put to the actual test. I've a funny feeling that not a single one would actually pay out but then again any losses are almost certain to be down to human slackness rather than an ingenious cold storage hack.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 09:31:38 AM

Fiat funds are fully insured, but that's not the case when it comes to the digital assets people store there. Not sure why they don't offer insurance for coins as well, but that's what the situation is right now.

Other than that, from what I read on their site they do take cold storage very serious, which is always a plus. Nowadays inside jobs are a bigger problem than hackers are. Long story short ~ nothing wrong with this exchange.

because no big insurance company insurances Bitcoin.

Gemini is financial licensed so they are good.  
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 02:09:08 PM

Gemini is financial licensed so they are good.  

That's probably true.

According to this article Xapo claims to be insured by Meridian Global Insurance Limited, which is a company 100% owned by Xapo.

The article goes on to say coinbase doesn't say which underwriters it uses, only that it goes through a large insurance broker called Aon which finds its underwriters.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 05:49:34 PM

That's not entirely true. Coinbase is a massive exchange and online wallet service. All digital assets that they hold are fully insured against all sorts of scenarios (obviously not if loss of coins occurs from user side).

I believe there was another exchange that had its digital assets fully insured, but I can't seem to find it at this point.

@HI-TECH99
It's funny how a certain service (Xapo in this case) insures itself, by itself, lol.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: