Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:27:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Skill Games  (Read 3076 times)
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 05:35:13 PM

I'm thinking of making a website where people play skill-based games against each other for Bitcoins.

They would either be simple video games or turn-based ("boardgame"-type) games.

People would pay into a pool at the start of the game and the winner of the game would then take the pool.

Would anybody be interested in joining me? I'm mainly looking for programmers.
 Smiley

cjgames.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:48:05 PM

It's a horrible idea, anything involving skills would eventually turn into a war of whose bot is better.
Joost

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:03:55 PM

turn into a war of whose bot is better.

You might as well set it up as an AI challenge straight away then Wink
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 07:06:26 PM

It would have to be games for which AI could not be programmed so easily.
Once a game would have AI programmed for them anyway we would have to drop it.
So basically we would be adding new games every once in while.

Also, I would say if you only can put a small of Bitcoins into the pot for every game (say 0.01 BTC) it wouldn't necessarily be worthwhile to spend many hours programming an AI.

cjgames.com
tmbp

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:09:22 PM

What kind of games can you think of that would be hard to program a bot for? Chess? I could have a bot up and running for any game you can think of within half an hour
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 07:12:15 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 07:34:17 PM by Mageant

What kind of games can you think of that would be hard to program a bot for? Chess? I could have a bot up and running for any game you can think of within half an hour

Obviously you cannot use game like Chess that have been around for a long time. Because there are plenty of AI programs already developed for them.
So I would introduce completely new abstract games with deep branching factors.

For example the game "Nymbat" that I have developed:
http://www.cjgames.com/index.php?page=nymbat

I don't think you can program a bot within 30 minutes to beat me at Nymbat. Are you willing to make a bet on that?

Also, you could randomly challenge a player with catpchas to check if there is a human actually playing a game. This would at least discourage bots running automatically without a human attending.

Similarly, we could also make some completely new retro-style video games.

cjgames.com
Joost

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:32:54 PM

There is always a relevant XKCD.  Tongue

Mouse-over alt: The top computer champion at Seven Minutes in Heaven is a Honda-built Realdoll, but to date it has been unable to outperform the human Seven Minutes in Heaven champion, Ken Jennings.

Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 07:45:40 PM

Trivia games would also be a possibility.

cjgames.com
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3074

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:20:36 PM

I'm thinking of making a website where people play skill-based games against each other for Bitcoins.

People would pay into a pool at the start of the game and the winner of the game would then take the pool.

Smiley

If it's more than 2 people in a game, one person will make fake accounts and they will cheat the system that way.  I thought about making a space strategy game a couple months ago, but this is one problem I couldn't overcome.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
tmbp

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:25:19 PM

Trivia games would be ridicoulsy easy to Google and the images shows computers playing in comparison to the TOP players, meaning the vast majority would still loose to a bot playing on "Insane" in Starcraft 2
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:27:41 PM

Smiley

If it's more than 2 people in a game, one person will make fake accounts and they will cheat the system that way.  I thought about making a space strategy game a couple months ago, but this is one problem I couldn't overcome.

Yes, we would have to offer only two-player games.

cjgames.com
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:29:52 PM

Trivia games would be ridicoulsy easy to Google and the images shows computers playing in comparison to the TOP players, meaning the vast majority would still loose to a bot playing on "Insane" in Starcraft 2

The computer you need to play trivia sucessfully against humans is not available to the public. It's some high-end machine built by IBM.

Also, I'm thinking about giving only a very short time to enter an answer, so that searching for an answer manually would take too much of your time.
And you could display the question as a captcha graphic so that it would be very hard for a computer to automatically read the question.

cjgames.com
tmbp

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:44:48 PM

The computer you need to play trivia sucessfully against humans is not available to the public. It's some high-end machine built by IBM.

Also, I'm thinking about giving only a very short time to enter an answer, so that searching for an answer manually would take too much of your time.
And you could display the question as a captcha graphic so that it would be very hard for a computer to automatically read the question.

Humans need time to think too, giving enough time for a human to think is giving enough time for the human to Google an answer, other alternatives might be forcing the user into showing a live video feed which will virtually eliminate people stealing but will also decrease the potential players drastically.
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 09:32:27 PM by Mageant

Humans need time to think too, giving enough time for a human to think is giving enough time for the human to Google an answer, other alternatives might be forcing the user into showing a live video feed which will virtually eliminate people stealing but will also decrease the potential players drastically.

Both players will have the same amount of time to answer a question. So if a player is really fast with googling an answer, faster than most people can think of the answer, then that's ok too, because that's basically a skill too.

I'm thinking of a mechanism like Jeopardy where you hit a button if you know the answer. You then get some extra time to type in the answer. If you need to google the answer then hitting the button before you have found it is risky because you don't know if you will actually find the answer. A person who knows the answer on the other hand and can just hit the button right away, so he would probably be a lot faster.

cjgames.com
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 09:23:54 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 09:34:12 PM by Mageant

We would have two categories of games:

Human vs. Human only:
Here we would make our best effort to ensure that only humans would be playing against each other.
Such measures would include:
- captchas
- only relatively unknown abstract games with a high branching factor for which there is no AI programmed for yet (examples: Nymbat, SEI)
- new video games for which it is hard to make an AI for (possibly with the use of pattern recognition)
- trivia-type games (possibly)
Once a game is suspected to have an AI programmed for it we would move it into the "Free-for-All" category below.
So we would be constantly introdcuing new games into this category so that it would not be worthwhile to program an AI for a game here.

Free-For-All:
Here AIs would explicitly be allowed. We would issue a warning to human players.
In this category also commonly played games such as Chess could be offered.

Wagers would be relatively low to discourage cheating. I'm thinking three choices: 0.001 BTC, 0.01 BTC, and 0.1 BTC as the maximum bet.
Also, all games could also be played without a wager (for free).

All games would be two-player games only to avoid people setting up fake accounts.

cjgames.com
HelpfulElf

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2017, 03:27:37 PM

This is such a hard thing to come up with.
We couldn't think of any good games that wouldn't immediately be played by AIs - and that takes all the fun out of it to my mind.
In the end we went with chance games that can't be manipulated by bots, but maybe we should add some skill games
alongside just to play for fun?

https://bitcoin-arcade.com/
kingsart

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:59:07 PM

It's a horrible idea, anything involving skills would eventually turn into a war of whose bot is better.

I think even without skill games are also using the bot, but skill games are more good in this atleast you use your skill and play , if their is bot for that we can do nothing, the site should be some more tight with security so that no one cannot use bot
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 05:20:08 PM

We couldn't think of any good games that wouldn't immediately be played by AIs - and that takes all the fun out of it to my mind.
In the end we went with chance games that can't be manipulated by bots, but maybe we should add some skill games

Your site is basically gamble games, not even required skill(mostly).
Your right about "it's such hard thing", but there's no impossible if it can be happens, developing perfect skill games is need a lot capital + hire a partner who an expert in such games is necessary. I ever have an idea which combined monopoly games + bitcoin with perfect motion and graphic such "get rich" line game app.
ExtraMileGames

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 07:08:17 PM

We are already working on some skill based multiplayer games.
We are planning to release on Mobile and Web as of now.
Would need to see how good can we tackle the AI.

NVO ════════▮ Cross-platform Modular Decentralized Exchange ▮════════ NVO
Secure ═ Private ═ Assets-to-Assets ═ Full Autonomy ═ Multi-Assets Storage ═ Integrated Platform
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Crowd Sale ═23/5/2017═ Crowd Sale▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BitSat

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 07:16:25 PM

Your site is basically gamble games, not even required skill(mostly).
Your right about "it's such hard thing", but there's no impossible if it can be happens, developing perfect skill games is need a lot capital + hire a partner who an expert in such games is necessary. I ever have an idea which combined monopoly games + bitcoin with perfect motion and graphic such "get rich" line game app.
Developing perfect skill games is need a lot capital + hire a partner who an expert in such games is necessary. I ever have an idea which combined monopoly games + bitcoin with perfect motion and graphic such "get rich" line game app.
Just because of this OP drop this idea and leave this all here and in last 4 years no other person have any idea like this because too much risk and hard work both need for this project
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: