Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:43:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What current alt crypt-currency do YOU believe in?  (Voting closed: April 30, 2013, 06:37:59 PM)
[LTC]Litecoin - 217 (43.1%)
[NVC]Novacoin - 41 (8.2%)
[FC]Feathercoin - 95 (18.9%)
[TC]Terracoin - 11 (2.2%)
[PPC]PPCoin - 65 (12.9%)
[BBQ]BBQCoin - 10 (2%)
[BTE]Bytecoin - 9 (1.8%)
None - 55 (10.9%)
Total Voters: 503

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] What current alt crypto-currency do YOU believe in?  (Read 5885 times)
GPK260

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:27:17 AM

No Freicoin?

Freicoin Donations: 13dvY6AStLLSJ9VEKTSJDYkzWdgeGeyE6q
Bitcoin Donations: 1BkLCL6teSx1CRwT8yn7Qrv8hvVinuUKZx
UK Police Fraud Crime number opened against Black Arrow: NFRC141000810656
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:31:24 AM

There must be about 10 post in here saying the benefits of FC is that you can get a lot of them faster...

What kind of retarded argument is this ?  Count your BTCs in satoshis and if it can make you feel better.

As for not letting time for farms to change their setting... It's actually no harder to change pool or algo, it's sometime easier because the benefits of hopping regularly to the most profitable is greater.

I'd like to see a FC white paper or at least some projections derived from the mathematical model.

Starting a coin isn't a matter of changing two variable in a the bitcoin code. Total_coin and Block_interval is what is the most often changed without much reasoning or research behind it.

I don't know how half of alt coins will fail but they most certainly will.

I can predict some will fail because their value will have to be expressed in scientific notation to be understood.

1 FC = 1.654*10^-12 BTC or 0.000000000001654 BTC aka. 0.0001654 Satoshis
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:28:01 PM

Even if the Bitcoin experiment fail, I dont think LTC will takes it place... It would be all crypto-currency that fail, or, BTC will prevail !   
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:33:43 PM

There must be about 10 post in here saying the benefits of FC is that you can get a lot of them faster...

What kind of retarded argument is this ?  Count your BTCs in satoshis and if it can make you feel better.

I can get Testnet Bitcoins faster than any other crypto coin.  Still doesn't benefit me. Smiley

skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:28:26 PM

The big advantage FC has is that (I'd bet) a heck of a lot of people have them.  For example, I mined for 8 hours on my laptop and have 120 of them.  
lol, that's an advantage Huh

When the difficulty for bitcoin was as high as FC is now, 10000 was worth a pizza, now I see 26ltc for 1000FC, that's 78$, 10000fc would be 780$. Bitcoin had allready much more accomplished when you could still mine them with a laptop. Still a pizza was 10000btc. You guys pay 780$, and call this a good thing? It's the most unhealthy start you could imagine, it gets pumped like no alt has ever been pumped before.  Undecided

I don't want to look like someone who hates it, I even gave it a try to come up with a coinlogo for it and I would accept them if someone wants to pay me with them, but in no way I would buy or hold them. Too many people with feathercoins look to them with their pink sunglasses on and have really unrealistic expectations from it. This poll says enough, how on earth can a babycoin with no real differences than the coin it is forked from have so much votes.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:44:34 PM

FC]Feathercoin    - 75 (24.4%)

Feathercoin is to Litecoin what Bytecoin is to Bitcoin
Why so many "believe in it"?  Cheesy
(Answer: cause they mined it lots, so they have to "believe" in it now)
wingding

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:06:55 PM

The LinearCoin
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:20:37 PM

The big advantage FC has is that (I'd bet) a heck of a lot of people have them.  For example, I mined for 8 hours on my laptop and have 120 of them.  
Too many people with feathercoins look to them with their pink sunglasses on and have really unrealistic expectations from it. This poll says enough, how on earth can a babycoin with no real differences than the coin it is forked from have so much votes.

The poll says enough? No disrespect, please tell me you realize the poll isn't even close to statistically significant, right? The market will ultimately decide it's fate, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe the coin will go nowhere, it won't stop me from focusing my resources as well as some of the other grass roots efforts toward the coin.

Valid points, best wishes on your logo entry. Here's to all of us making good choices and following our passion.

ebildude123

Activity: 223

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:48:53 PM

I believe LTC will survive in the long run. It is the 2nd most used coin compared to bitcoin, and ofcourse we can't forget about it's features.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:19:28 AM

I trust none.
PS:
I think we should not call them alt-coin, but copy coins for all.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
igba

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:55:07 AM

namecoin should be on there especially since development is taking off and the whole .bit concept
daytrader420 (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:00:17 AM

namecoin should be on there especially since development is taking off and the whole .bit concept

I didn't add it because it's merged to BTC's blockchain. Being alongside bitcoin, I was sort of directing poll toward alternative crypto currencies. I sort of figured moreso toward scrypt as it can add a slight advantage when ASIC's are flooding the market.

Smiley
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:18:17 AM

Feathercoin just expands the options better for people that dont have LTC due to the LTC hoarders.
Anyone can buy LTC, and mining a low diff coin provides no more value than an equal amount of mining on a high diff coin; mining profitability of both will balance over time. There are actually fewer options for FC because it's accepted in fewer places but is otherwise identical to LTC. It doesn't solve any problems at all. And since both are deflationary by design, they both encourage "hoarders".

There arent just enough bitcons to go around, especially when some people are like "OMG Bitcoin! I want one! Just ONE!. And theres only 21 mil to go around..):
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#21_million_coins_isn.27t_enough.3B_doesn.27t_scale
If Bitcoin ever becomes widely accepted, people will decide they just want "just ONE mBTC". They wouldn't want the nice round number of 1 BTC any more than a nice round $1 million.

with BTC just being reserved for high cost, high level transactions such as buying property, while PPC, FC and LTC can replace the actual dollar, with LTC being used for the semi-high transactions such as buying cars, etc.
There's nothing actually restricting coins to a particular use, so people would avoid exchange fees and technical complexity and gravitate towards fewer (if not only 1-2) currencies.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:25:11 AM

what coin do i believe in? like what do you mean? are these coins like unicorns and wizards or something, bearded sky gods chucking lighting books from the clouds? for crying out loud they are currency a freaking medium of exchange. i have a good or service i need in exchange for one that you have. we use coin as the intermediary. it like language you can have hundreds of languages to exchange ideas. if two people don't share a language they get translators. coins are the same thing. if i don't have the coins you want i trade mine for those and give you them, then you provide the good or service.

what is so hard to understand about that?
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 03:30:46 AM

There's nothing actually restricting coins to a particular use, so people would avoid exchange fees and technical complexity and gravitate towards fewer (if not only 1-2) currencies.

If bitcoin were perfect in all aspects maybe this argument would hold some water, however I highly doubt that's the case.

I think market has already spoken on this matter, just look at the money flowing into altcoins, any blatant copycat coin can get to 10k BTC market cap overnight.

Scalability concerns and the uncertainty of proof-of-work concentration are the top two issues that are eroding bitcoin's dominant position.
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 06:18:41 AM

what coin do i believe in? like what do you mean? are these coins like unicorns and wizards or something, bearded sky gods chucking lighting books from the clouds? for crying out loud they are currency a freaking medium of exchange. i have a good or service i need in exchange for one that you have. we use coin as the intermediary. it like language you can have hundreds of languages to exchange ideas. if two people don't share a language they get translators. coins are the same thing. if i don't have the coins you want i trade mine for those and give you them, then you provide the good or service.

what is so hard to understand about that?

Beautiful post hehh heh

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Explodicle

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:02:40 PM

with BTC just being reserved for high cost, high level transactions such as buying property, while PPC, FC and LTC can replace the actual dollar, with LTC being used for the semi-high transactions such as buying cars, etc.

If bitcoin were perfect in all aspects maybe this argument would hold some water, however I highly doubt that's the case.

I think market has already spoken on this matter, just look at the money flowing into altcoins, any blatant copycat coin can get to 10k BTC market cap overnight.

Scalability concerns and the uncertainty of proof-of-work concentration are the top two issues that are eroding bitcoin's dominant position.

10k overnight could mean that value has been created instantly by copy-paste, or it could mean that people are throwing money at anything they think could make them bitcoin millionaires. I wouldn't read much into such a low cap after such a short period. The market for currencies has already spoken several times throughout history, with most cultures tending towards fewer metal backings over time.

If the reason for multiple coins is just theoretical future problems then it makes sense to have some altcoins as insurance, but to use the most popular suitable coin for everything else in the meantime. If anything, people would trade a basket currency of multiple coins, rather than limiting each coin's use to a particular class of goods. We didn't see people using tin coins for stagecoaches because they were worried about gold transmutation or El Dorado.
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 07:24:06 PM

10k overnight could mean that value has been created instantly by copy-paste, or it could mean that people are throwing money at anything they think could make them bitcoin millionaires. I wouldn't read much into such a low cap after such a short period. The market for currencies has already spoken several times throughout history, with most cultures tending towards fewer metal backings over time.

If the reason for multiple coins is just theoretical future problems then it makes sense to have some altcoins as insurance, but to use the most popular suitable coin for everything else in the meantime. If anything, people would trade a basket currency of multiple coins, rather than limiting each coin's use to a particular class of goods. We didn't see people using tin coins for stagecoaches because they were worried about gold transmutation or El Dorado.

Except those aren't theoretical future problems, it's happening right now in front of our eyes, at a speed that stresses the developers to keep up.

Back when ppcoin was released (just less than a year ago), any new coin can barely get past $50k market cap for months. Now they get to $1M market cap in days. You can ignore these signals all you want, but I take those 'whispers of the market' seriously and study them, because I have a lot of faith in free market. Even if you don't care about the low end of the market, just look at litecoin's market share, it gained on bitcoin massively since last year. Both facts indicate that market now has much more preference for diversity than last year.

So what happened since last year? 1) debut of ASIC in bitcoin mining; 2) bitcoin blockchain hitting scalability issue. The situation in cryptocurrency is quite different from metals. Different metals have different properties, only gold and silver are most suitable as money. All the clones of bitcoin basically have the same property as bitcoin, so if you have to make analogies to metals, they are more like coins from different mints, of different grade/purity, but of the same metal.
Explodicle

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:56:30 AM

those aren't theoretical future problems, it's happening right now in front of our eyes, at a speed that stresses the developers to keep up.
So what happened since last year? ... 2) bitcoin blockchain hitting scalability issue.
Bitcoin didn't hit the scalability limit, it forked because the arbitrary anti-spam cap of different versions didn't match. That's why altcoins are useful insurance in case bitcoin adoption outpaces technology.
Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 01:31:59 AM

Bytecoin; because it is an exact replica of Bitcoin, which is already proven it can be trusted, and is useful.

I think many people who love Bitcoin also may wish to become involved with or use at least one of the alt-coins either now or in the future. Many alt-coins to date have anywhere from slightly modified to completely changed how the currency operates, where instead the Bytecoin is an exact replica of the tried and tested Bitcoin.  Those alt-coiners who still think Bitcoin is a fantastic cryptocurrency would probably prefer an alt which is an exact replica, yet still due to adoption and utility is a less valuable coin. Bytecoin has a long way to go before it is considered valuable, but we already know that so long as there is a diverse set of miners splitting the network one can trust it to be secure. As long as a slow and steady adoption occurs, the network will become strong enough to be as trusted as Bitcoin is.

tl;dr - If you like BTC, and are interested in alt's, why not one that's exactly the same with a different name?

edit to add:

The only CON I can see with Bytecoin is that the name is so simular to Bitcoin it could cause confusion.. yet it really is an awesome name for an alt-coin IMO
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: