Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:24:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with vps mining  (Read 3048 times)
J0HN3F1V3 (OP)

Activity: 244
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 12:54:44 PM

I'm looking for some help mining on a vps,
I have some free credit on digital ocean so i was thinking of trying to mine for educational purposes.

I would like to know what coins would be good for vps mining and how to set it up.
It would have to be a cpu coin not a GPU.
And i would like to know if solo mining would be better over pool mining.

This is for educational purposes so I'm not to bothered about profitability

Any help is greatly appreciated

Soylent

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 01:09:51 PM

I used to mine Monero with minergate when I had a lot of RDP servers at low cost but anyway it wasn't much profitabe.
mountainfero

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 04:49:25 PM

Using Minergate and mining either Bytecoin or Monero is probably the best option, I used to get around $0.50 a month per VPS that I had. The VPS that I used mainly cost around $3-4 per year so it wasn't worth it unless you have thousands of them.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 05:17:20 PM

I have some free credit on digital ocean so i was thinking of trying to mine for educational purposes.

I would like to know what coins would be good for vps mining and how to set it up.

Have you read DigitalOcean's TOS already? I believe it is forbidden to mine, as that falls under "Excessive use of our materials" see; https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/can-i-mine-bitcoins-from-my-droplet

^^Screenshot from reddit where a user got banned for cloudmining on Digital ocean. Take care.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2cqxdh/digitalocean_locked_my_account_and_sent_me_this/

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 06:30:22 PM

Yeah, I don't recommend attempting to mine on a VPS. With a VPS, you are sharing the hardware with other users and they normally set caps on the amount of resources you can use. And it simply isn't worth the time to mine with a CPU, it won't be profitable and is very slow.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:03:29 AM

Yeah, I don't recommend attempting to mine on a VPS. With a VPS, you are sharing the hardware with other users and they normally set caps on the amount of resources you can use. And it simply isn't worth the time to mine with a CPU, it won't be profitable and is very slow.
Agree, mining on VPS will consume more resources that you pay for. They will kick you out and you won't earn anything worth resources and time.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:10:05 PM

Agree, mining on VPS will consume more resources that you pay for. They will kick you out and you won't earn anything worth resources and time.

I think OP clearly stated he wasn't doing it for profit, but for educational purposes. Altough that doesn't matter since you are still abusing their resources.

Machine Funk

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 11:22:50 PM

You should try x11 maybe x13 or scrypt coin ? Bip coin? Have a look at a few altcoin announcements and see what you find.
Keep in mind most vps dont allow mining. High CPU usage is not allowed
J0HN3F1V3 (OP)

Activity: 244
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:22:00 PM

Have you read DigitalOcean's TOS already? I believe it is forbidden to mine, as that falls under "Excessive use of our materials" see; https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/can-i-mine-bitcoins-from-my-droplet

^^Screenshot from reddit where a user got banned for cloudmining on Digital ocean. Take care.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2cqxdh/digitalocean_locked_my_account_and_sent_me_this/

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for sharing.
I guess I'll have to find some other use for my free vps

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: