Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:01:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro to community(HALP!!)  (Read 451 times)
TheBaconAteHer (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2017, 08:05:22 PM

Hello all!

I'm new here. Missed out on the BTC train back in 13' but have been monitoring altcoins lately because I see and understand the future of commerce in regards to our current digital revolution. It seems clear to me that there is no doubt, there will be another wave of people getting extremely rich from picking a few winning altcoins, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna miss it this time around! So, here's the thing. I have been watching XRP like a hawk for almost two weeks now. I've never gotten around to figuring out the fundamentals of crypto-wallets and actually buying any coins. I've read about it extensively, but the security aspect scares me since I'm no hacker or security expert and I'm almost positive a few of my devices (specifically one PC and a laptop) are compromised and are probably part of a botnet. I recently acquired a MacBook Pro and I think that would be the device I would use to do trading since it's much more secure than any of my windows machines. But, about 4-5 days ago, when XRP was still a penny(USD) I decided that I was ready to buy. I googled "how to buy XRP" and decided on bitstamp for my XRP  exchange and coinmama to buy BTC with my credit card to transfer to bitstamp. It took me days to apply and get verified for all these different sites, and was researching how wallets work and trying to decide on one. All of this was taking FOREVER, and by the time I got verified and was able to actually use the exchange, I had been watching the price go up and UP AND upppppp and being powerless to do anything  until the high yesterday Got to $0.07USD and I just about lost it. I was looking to buy about $10,000 worth at a penny, so you could probably understand my pain. At this point I've pretty much given up, this shit is really way too complicated for the average joe, and I'm actually quite good with computers and I understand exactly how blockchain technology works but the whole wallet/exchange system is not very user-friendly at all for noobs, and I just feel like I can't risk such a large chunk of money I don't even have(credit) just trying to figure this out. I know I basically missed the boat and it frustrates me more than anything since I saw it coming so damn early. And had absolutely no way to capitalize on it since it's so damn complicated. I still don't even know where to get a ripple wallet. The thing that scares me the most is with these digital currencies, you can get your shit stolen in the blink of an eye for just a slight misstep, or using a compromised device. I even installed armory on an offline laptop, and even THAT ended up freezing on the screen to print a paper backup, so I couldn't even do that right. Are there any senior members here that could help me out? I'm just a 30 year old guy with a young family trying to get in on this train before it leaves the station, any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cmorrowny

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 12:17:43 AM

Hey! I'm definitely no expert, but I've taken a slight interest in XRP recently as well. You can get a wallet on GateHub (free and relatively easy to use), but it takes a while for the verification process to go through. XRP did shoot up to .07 cents per, ripple but it's (presumably) because of something that is called a "pump and dump". Someone (or a group of someones) will buy a LARGE amount of the currency, causing this price to spike up. Other people will panic at the sudden price rise and buy a large amount of coins as well. The original buyer will "pump" the price up and then "dump" all of his coins once the price is highly inflated. He sells all of his coins at this high price, causing a flood of the currency back into the market, which makes the price drop back down significantly. He makes a large profit and a lot of people bought the currency in the small window of time in which the price was highly inflated. It's best to wait it out and see. The price of XRP got as low as .029 today and is hovering at around .033 now. These prices are not what you would like, but they're better than they were. To be honest, I think that ripple is going to take off pretty soon, so I'm going to grab some before the price really does increase significantly.
TheBaconAteHer (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 01:54:21 AM

Yeah I know how the markets work, it didn't matter if it was a pump and dump the point is I wanted to buy it at a penny and on Sunday I would've totally sold as soon as that shit happened with Polo and it started trending down and I would've made a years salary so I was scrambling to try and figure out how to get my hands on it and it was just too late. Now it's back down to about 3 cents and I'd like to stock up before the next pump, but I have no idea how to store it. BTC seems easy Enough to figure out how to store, but XRP is a different animal. Ripple doesn't even have a wallet on their official site, so am I just supposed to trust a third party? I have no idea how much ripple will go up to, but I have a feeling 3 cents is still a bargain compared to what's coming. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it hit 50 cents by the end of the year with a few good news stories from big banks from now until then, in fact I'm banking on it. I just need somebody to walk me through the bitcoin/ripple wallet aspect, and give me some sage advice on how to trade securely, because I've seen way too many people get hacked or use their wallets on a compromised device and lose everything. Are there any wallets I could hold both ripple and bitcoin on? Or all types of coins?
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2017, 07:13:46 AM

Don't buy XRP.  Hell, don't buy anything until you can find the whales' interest in it, previous price charts, the legitimacy of the coin, the chance of a dump, etc.  Ripple is legit but it's not going to go much further.  You'd be better off choosing a properly good alt early on, then if the price rose 200% with a low market cap you'd still earn a lot.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: